Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
A friend took a picture on his cell phone of a 6" Paddlefish that was for sale ( Richmond, In. Jacks Aquariums - $29) which I thought was waaay cool for an aquarium but just had this wild hair shoot out of my butt and had to ask, what about putting in a pond?? anyone know if that would work? Other thoughts were, since they are a Plankton eater, if your aquarium had a good filter system, would they be able to survive?? anyone know any of there characteristics?, would they stay deep in a pond and never be seen? Like they do here in the Ohio River where the occaisional one gets snagged by catfisherman or guys throwing 4 oz jigs below the dams. I have heard but never witnessed one doing this but many have told me they see them surfacing on the big river at times so if they did that in apond, that would be pretty neat.

Always trying to work my way out of the box.......8^)

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Paddlefish require large sized zooplankton for survival. The larger sized zooplankton usually Daphnia types are not present or numerous enough in ponds with minnows, shiners, shad and or panfish including crappies because these fish feed heavily on the larger forms of zooplankton and keep them cropped way too low for the paddlefish to get enough to eat, grow, and do well enough to survive stressful winter conditions when zooplankton are often at their low annual abundance. Now if the paddle fish has been trained to eat fish food then it would be able to get enough nurishment to grow and do well enough in a pond to have a good chance of survival. Occasionaly paddlefish raised in hatcheries are trained to eat fish food. Check with pet shop to see if the fish will eat fish pellets. If yes then chances are good that it will survive and be seen regularly feeding at the surface. Feeding on pellets is quite a chore for paddlefish since their mouth is on the ventral and the fish has to turn almost 180 degrees for it to take a pellet off the surface. This is a very interesting sight if you have ever get to see it. At one time Fenders Fish hatchery in SE OH had a few pellet trained paddle fish that they obtained from a facility that was raising them in Kentucky.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/21/08 08:15 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
We have Paddlefish, Polyodon spathula in the oxbow lakes (total acreage 15 acres). Also have both shads , crappie , BG , RES, WM , gar (3 types) , bowfin , LMB , SB and HSB , most of the catfish types , various minnows , buffalo , drum , eels , GSF and a few more I can't think of now. The Paddlefish get big ( 50 lbs +). The river does flood the lakes on average about twice a year for about 6 total days. It is a swamp system and very productive. No feeding.

M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks, I figured it wasnt feasable in my clean pond situation but interesting to see they are pellet trainable and would do well in a swampy, full of micro stuff oxbow situation.

It was just a thought so take it easy guys....

Next question, what about rock bass?? pros/cons in a contained 3/4 acre pond system?

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Mark, they had a paddlefish in Bass Pro Shops aquarium. They were feeding it some sort of protein slurrey. It was quite a site watching the paddlefish open it's mouth and weave in an out of the food.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Lunker
Lunker
Here is a link to the 144 lb. Kansas record paddlefish, my understanding is that it was caught in a 16 acre impoundment that has no river flow through.

http://www.kansasangler.com/archive/0502riley.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??