Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ben Davis, DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS
18,526 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,009
Posts558,440
Members18,527
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,597
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, Lina, esshup, Bigtrh24, Bobbss, Kanon M, Ben Davis), 1,104 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
The re-stocking plan to recover from massive fish kill is coming together.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129488&fpart=1

It appears that the only survivors are limited numbers of 3-6 inch CNBG and a few LMB that I cannot document by catching.
Possibly some TFS survival seen “skipping around” in mid-pond area, as well as assumed tilapia survival.

Water quality has improved considerably since running aerator 24/7 since mid July.
Visibility appears to be around 10-12 inches at an angle from shore – no boat to get vertical secchi disk measurement.
Daytime near surface water temp ~80 degrees.

As soon as water temp is in the 70 degree range, subject to Overton’s OK on water quality, I’m going to “throw the book” at re-stocking.

Primary goal is to produce the quickest and “baddest” large HSB and CNBG fishery as possible.
Secondary goal is for son Jeff to have a few “quality” LMB.

What size and numbers of HSB, “pure” Florida CNBG, and LMB would be your plan to achieve this goal?

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
3 sizes of CNBG - 100 adults (6in) 300 (3-5 in) and 1000 2in.

1 load of TShad

50 adult RES

50 lbs of FH

100 12in HSB , 75 6in HSB and 150 3-4 in HSB

next spring 20 female LMB 12 in. if you can be sure no male LMB in the pond if not then skip them and wait to see if LMB yoy next spring.

Feed , feed , feed - aerate.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eric; 50 pounds of FH?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: ewest
3 sizes of CNBG - 100 adults (6in) 300 (3-5 in) and 1000 2in.

1 load of TShad

50 adult RES

50 lbs of FH

100 12in HSB , 75 6in HSB and 150 3-4 in HSB

next spring 20 female LMB 12 in. if you can be sure no male LMB in the pond if not then skip them and wait to see if LMB yoy next spring.

Feed , feed , feed - aerate.

Ewest Plan:
~$2500 - $3000 retail

NEXT? -----

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
George did I have an option of moving larger HSB from the small pond ? If yes then add some of the larger ones also.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
A wise man once posted:
"No regrets - best five years of my life ever."

Too CHEAP!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yep 50 - those HSB , LMB and big BG got to eat and so do those small LMB next spring. I am guessing that there are a few Tshad (not enough) and some LMB (20 lbs total) still there with a few BG . They will need to eat also.

This is an exercise in guess work after all. Idea is to create a full set of fish - now - based on George's goal ASAP.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1

Ewest Plan:
~$2500 - $3000 retail

NEXT? -----

You want to go up or down on that, george?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: ewest
George did I have an option of moving larger HSB from the small pond ? If yes then add some of the larger ones also.
Yes the option to move larger HSB to main pond is wide open.....
I want to re-establish stocking ladder ASAP...
Appreciate "best case" scenerio... \:\)

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: ahvatsa
A wise man once posted:
"No regrets - best five years of my life ever."

Too CHEAP!
Al, I’m considering all options to restore fishery ASAP - that means “gitteredone.

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

You want to go up or down on that, george?

YES...
Maybe not all at the same time tho – I’m considering a “stocking ladder” of adult male CNBG as well as annual HSB stocking that has worked so well for me...

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Eric, many thanks for your “best case” plan.
I have seriously considered all aspects of your plan and major problem seems to be availability of time sensitize seasonal species with problematic logistics.

Theo, “downward” plan would be sensible since my time and energy level is limited.
I want to spend most of my time fly fishing and not “managing”.

Bruce, I intend to stock “all male” adult Florida strain CNBG within reasonable limits, due to small existing BG population, hopefully controlling reproduction with limited effort.
My understanding of “sexing” BG will be size dependent of 4+inches?

Hopefully heavy feeding program will limit forage needs, tilapia will be a major factor, limiting BG dependency.

I would like to keep LMB to a minimum, if at all. I would consider a “limited number” (?) of BC and defer LMB stocking until a later date when my son has time to maintain BG/LMB “balance”

Goal of outstanding HSB fishery is my highest priority goal; feasible by annual stocking “ladder” and optimum feeding program.

My dream/goal is to restore our “trophy” size CNBG and HSB to an outstanding sport fly-fishing pond.
Is it even feasible to attempt to achieve this goal, given the circumstances of my wife and I being the only one to fish and manage the pond, considering our limited time and energy resources?

Lunker
Lunker
One can manage a pond with energy, time, or money, george. Application rates can be skewed towards any of those 3 inputs. You could have the pond e-shocked back in to your desired balance in a few years if needed, no?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
One can manage a pond with energy, time, or money, george. Application rates can be skewed towards any of those 3 inputs. You could have the pond e-shocked back in to your desired balance in a few years if needed, no?
True..

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: george1
Eric, many thanks for your “best case” plan.
I have seriously considered all aspects of your plan and major problem seems to be availability of time sensitize seasonal species with problematic logistics.

Theo, “downward” plan would be sensible since my time and energy level is limited.
I want to spend most of my time fly fishing and not “managing”.

Bruce, I intend to stock “all male” adult Florida strain CNBG within reasonable limits, due to small existing BG population, hopefully controlling reproduction with limited effort.
My understanding of “sexing” BG will be size dependent of 4+inches?

Hopefully heavy feeding program will limit forage needs, tilapia will be a major factor, limiting BG dependency.

I would like to keep LMB to a minimum, if at all. I would consider a “limited number” (?) of BC and defer LMB stocking until a later date when my son has time to maintain BG/LMB “balance”

Goal of outstanding HSB fishery is my highest priority goal; feasible by annual stocking “ladder” and optimum feeding program.

My dream/goal is to restore our “trophy” size CNBG and HSB to an outstanding sport fly-fishing pond.
Is it even feasible to attempt to achieve this goal, given the circumstances of my wife and I being the only one to fish and manage the pond, considering our limited time and energy resources?
Nate, any ideas for a fly fishing pond?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
George my prior suggestions were for a self sustaining pond subject to management. Not a put and take fishery. For a put and take pond my suggestion would be :

No LMB - I think (assume) you will have them anyway from the survivors.

CNBG - 1000 adults (6in) - Male only - you will probably have reproduction anyway from the survivors

1 load of TShad (5-6000 fish)

50 adult RES all male

30 lbs of FH

100 12in HSB , 75 6in HSB and 150 3-4 in HSB and 25 3lb+ HSB from the small pond.

No tilapia - you don't need the forage - If you need them for weeds then 50 males.

For what you want you don't want reproduction in the pond. Why tie up carrying capacity in small unwanted fish.

Feed , aerate and be ready to restock as needed.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
George I have some thoughts?
Why put in a load of threadfin shad? I would spend that money on fish food and bigger fish for a put and take fishery. Also I wouldnt put in any fatheads either.

I just checked out Overtons website for the first time, and it seems like he charges an arm and a leg for his fish. Must be a Texas thing? Up here I pay $2.90 for a pound of fatheads, $.33 for all types of bluegill and $.75 for a 6" HSB.

This is what I would do if I was you (George) with a 2 acre pond with some remaining smaller fish and a goal of an immediate trophy put and take Coppernose and HSB fishery.

I would call up Overtons and see what is the biggest HSB and Coppernose Bluegill that they will have available. Then I would make some sort of trade or bargain of some sort to knock the price of them down a bit. Then I would purchase about 100 of the biggest HSB and 200 of the biggest Coppernose Bluegill. I myself would not waste the time or effort to determine if they were males or females. (The large HSB will limit the yoy) Then I would also stock 100 of the 8" HSB and 100 of the 4-6" Coppernose bluegill this fall as well. (they will be ready to eat next year). Then in the spring you can determine what program you would like to roll with.

For forage I would stock some Tilapia (depending on what is still left and how many works for your pond) and then I would keep that Texas Hunter pumping food at those fish. If $$$ is not a big factor, then I would consider some of the threadfins.

Just some thoughts. Keep us posted!

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Todd is on vacation on a mountaintop in Colorado at ths time.
I value his opinion as well as other respondents, and look forward to his recommendation when he returns.
We discussed the program briefly before he left on vacation.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
George after discussing your entire scenario with a few folks, what would you think about stocking adult Hybrid Bluegill instead of Coppernose? I dont know much about coppernose seeing as they dont live around here, but I do know that a Hybrid Bluegill will devour a pellet fly and battle about 15 seperate times before learning a bit about anglers. (must be the green sunfish genes that keeps these fish so dumb?)

I guess that would be my question to you George, do coppernose get hook shy? or finicky with changing weather conditions etc?

I am anxious to find out what Todd has available for this fall?

Also gonna change my suggestions a bit and would consider lots of Tshad as soon as they are available!

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hi Nate, maybe it’s the BG that produces the “dumb” gene because I catch CNBG cast after cast around the feeders on pellet flies.
The only time they are “leader shy” is in clear water and that is a seldom occurrence on our ponds.

The big bulls are the wariest, but I target them with foam bugs such as hoppers and gurglers. They are subject to extreme weather changes as are most species.

HBG aren’t a popular species of any pond folks I know, but are a very common “fish truck” species from Arkansas. I do know that Overton does not hatch or recommend them.
However, they would alleviate the over populatin problem.

Appreciate your help very much.
George

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good to hear about the Coppernose. I wish they would live around here!!!

Quite a few years back I was sold a few thousand coppernose from that "free fish" guy from Arkansas. I was very green to the fish business and listened to that guy rather religiously soaking up as much info as possible. I was going to grow ginormous coppernose! needless to say I was a Sucker and none of them made it through the winter.

HBG are very popular up here! They are 15 times dumber than regular bluegill and eat like pigs. Contrary to popular belief, they top out at about 3/4 of a pound, but they get there quick.

Later George,
I have to start working.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
That sucks George. Your first HSB thread was one of the first threads that I read when I was lurking this board. I am sure with what you've learned so far and what people suggested you will come back 5 times better.

Future Pond Boss
[Linked Image from i53.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I'm Back!!!! Holy Moly you all are way ahead of me......

Here are my recommendations for George, subject to tweaking by the forum members and subject to fish availability.

I am assuming that George's pond has a decent standing population of small bluegill and threadfin shad. This could be verified with sampling gear but has not yet been done.

Fall 2008
100 of largest HSB available, probably around 12" from my farm (2007 fish), plus maybe some larger fish from George's small pond.

100 intermediate HSB, around 6".

250 graded 4"+ (mostly male) pure coppernose bluegill. By grading the top off my crop of CNBG George may get all 5"+ or 6"+ fish, which will be mostly the faster growing males. I specify the 4"+ just for cover.

50 adult florida bass 1 lb average because this is Jeff's pond and because I believe the ponds needs some large mouths to consume small bluegill from an assumed population boom due to lack of predation for many summer months

5-10 grass carp

Large redears, as available from other small pond. Large redear hard to find at my farm.

I don't believe that LMB will threaten to overpopulate or overcompete in this pond managed for big bluegill and HSB. In fact I believe we could stock more than 50 fish. Male LMB can help control CNBG numbers and female LMB may grow to be something for Jeff. This pond started out to be an LMB pond then over time HSBs were stocked and it seems as if LMB numbers declined. Visibility is relatively low, usually less than 12", and there is normally little or no shoreline vegetation for cover. With this type of habitat and with George's HSB/CNBG management plan I doubt we'll have issues with LMB overpopulation.

For the record I don't intend to take George's arm or leg for these fish......

It's ALL about the fish!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
we were using George's assessment (few LMB and few TShad and few BG). I think there are more than just a few there. I agree on your assessment. That is why I suggested considerable forage fish. The fish that are there will quickly try to fill the pond to capacity. So this will not be a true put and take fishery except as to the HSB as it will have breeding populations of CNBG and LMB.

I am sure there are other customers (hint , hint) who would like some of those high grade CNBG and HSB. ;\) -

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Welcome home Todd - know ya'll had a well deserved vacation.
I'm excited about the stocking plan - lets go for it....!!!!!!

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries
I'm Back!!!!

For the record I don't intend to take George's arm or leg for these fish......
Todd, I'll send you a signed check - just fill in the blanks.....
I want my litlle slice of heaven back...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
FOOTCUSH, MikeyBoy, rick fisherman
Recent Posts
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by Lina - 05/12/24 02:08 PM
Newly renovated pond new vegetation
by Kirrb - 05/12/24 01:24 PM
Nested Mallards