Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,943
Posts557,775
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,504
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
10 members (esshup, Rangersedge, Bigtrh24, 4CornersPuddle, phinfan, FishinRod, jm96, Theeck, FireIsHot, simon), 1,077 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
In my mind this issue is a simple one and it's represented by the phrase "due diligence". If you're planning on raiding someone's home with deadly force it's your responsibility to do appropriate research. In the case of this story it appears the police failed to do this.

Being a cop is a dangerous job and they deserve our respect and appreciation. Officers that make stupid mistakes and endanger those they are supposed to protect give the police a bad name and they should be punished.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: sullpond
A few years back the local Drug task forces dropped in via chopper on a backyard pot field hidden under camouflage mesh. Boy were there faces red when the discovered it was a guy's prize tomato patch. It was during a extreme dry period and he was using the cover to save water.

That may explain the helicopter flying back and forth over our property! We have several tomato plants in five gallon buckets on the deck! \:o

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I was thinking of putting up a net over my garden to keep it from burning up in the hot,dry,Texas summer we're having. ;)But after this i guess I'll just go ahead and let it fry. I surely dont need a helicopter raid scaring all my poor fish.they're stessed enough with the heat

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: letsrodeo
(No this is not about politics so please don't interject any, but it seems like the police in the following area have waaaaay to much power

YOUR INTIRE POST WAS POLITICS NICE TO SEE THINGS HAVENT CHANGED

Can you elaborate how my post was politics letsrodeo?

I honestly don't see how. And what is this "Nice to know things haven't changed?"

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/10/08 11:10 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Don't know CB1, I don't see the politics in your post. Pretty much seems like a bust gone bad to me........

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Malfeasance and Misfeasance are two entirely different things. 'Dirty' cops, criminals with badges, practise MALfeasance. Cops who make poor professional decisions practise MISfeasance. In both cases tragic results can happen. But I always caution friends when the rants turn to cop bashing, to think before lashing out. Despite thousands of hours of TV and movies and billions of lines of print media knowing it is doing it. Law enforcement is a profession. It is the only profession I know of in which the vast majority of Americans BELIEVE somewhat qualified to comment on because they watch TV or once got a ticket. Mr. Lusk writes alot and I have read almost all of it, am I qualified to be his harshest critic? Cecil writes alot about trout, am I qualified to be his harshest critic? Nope in either case. When outraged by police action please always attempt to quantify and qualify the outrage.
Toby

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
police in the following area have waaaaay to much power

FROM RODEO TO STANDIN AROUND WATCHIN THE FISH EAT
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Toby Davis
Malfeasance and Misfeasance are two entirely different things. 'Dirty' cops, criminals with badges, practise MALfeasance. Cops who make poor professional decisions practise MISfeasance. In both cases tragic results can happen. But I always caution friends when the rants turn to cop bashing, to think before lashing out. Despite thousands of hours of TV and movies and billions of lines of print media knowing it is doing it. Law enforcement is a profession. It is the only profession I know of in which the vast majority of Americans BELIEVE somewhat qualified to comment on because they watch TV or once got a ticket. Mr. Lusk writes alot and I have read almost all of it, am I qualified to be his harshest critic? Cecil writes alot about trout, am I qualified to be his harshest critic? Nope in either case. When outraged by police action please always attempt to quantify and qualify the outrage.
Toby

Toby,

Absolutely! If you remember right I said the following:

..."just for the record I don't have a beef against cops doing their job. I have a very good friend that is a police captain. It's just this is so out of line IMHO."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: letsrodeo
police in the following area have waaaaay to much power

So police having too much power IMO in this area of Maryland is posting politics?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Post voluntarily removed.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Say it aint so, Pond Boss was the one forum I considered a sanctuary from this type of post. The other forums I belong to hammered this issue and others to death. Lets get back to the fishies \:\)

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
This is exactly why this is not a general chat forum. It is about ponds , fish , wildlife , and land mgt. It is not intended as a place to discuss controversial general news topics.

I agree it is not political. That is not the only limiting criteria for threads. Here is my attempt at stating a guideline for non-pond related threads. Feel free to post your thoughts wrt this. It is based on my understanding of Bob's thoughts on this being a friendly , positive , family like forum.

If the topic of the thread is likely to anger or offend someone don't . If its about ponds etc then we can discuss the topic as long as the other forum rules are followed. If it is a funny thread then make sure everyone can tell it is in jest. Keep in mind that PB is a large , diverse and multi-faceted group that Bob calls a "Family". Treat each other like that. Just for your info I have received several pm and emails by forum members , none of whom posted on this thread, who were either offended by or thought this was not a topic that belonged here. \:\)

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Isn't the purpose of a "no knock" raid to ensure the safety of the officers when they are entering a dangerous situation (supported by intelligence of the situation) and not as a policy of all raids? My problem would be that there appeared to be no intelligence obtained on the house or occupants to support utilizing a "no knock" vs. normal entering procedures.

Also wanted to point out that there were more then just a few "tommy guns" in the 20's. Bonnie and Clyde prefered BAR's that they stole from local armories.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
This is exactly why this is not a general chat forum. It is about ponds , fish , wildlife , and land mgt. It is not intended as a place to discuss controversial general news topics.

I agree it is not political. That is not the only limiting criteria for threads. Here is my attempt at stating a guideline for non-pond related threads. Feel free to post your thoughts wrt this. It is based on my understanding of Bob's thoughts on this being a friendly , positive , family like forum.

If the topic of the thread is likely to anger or offend someone don't . If its about ponds etc then we can discuss the topic as long as the other forum rules are followed. If it is a funny thread then make sure everyone can tell it is in jest. Keep in mind that PB is a large , diverse and multi-faceted group that Bob calls a "Family". Treat each other like that. Just for your info I have received several pm and emails by forum members , none of whom posted on this thread, who were either offended by or thought this was not a topic that belonged here. \:\)

If I offended anyone by this topic I apologize. But I'm still confused how anyone could interpret my original thread as politics. I guess if I have to urge to post something like this in the "if it ain't about ponds" I'll have to post it on some other site.

Again sorry.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
You would have to work much much harder to offend me Cecil, your a good egg in Joe's book.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
thank you ewest

FROM RODEO TO STANDIN AROUND WATCHIN THE FISH EAT
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Isn't the purpose of a "no knock" raid to ensure the safety of the officers when they are entering a dangerous situation (supported by intelligence of the situation) and not as a policy of all raids? My problem would be that there appeared to be no intelligence obtained on the house or occupants to support utilizing a "no knock" vs. normal entering procedures.

Also wanted to point out that there were more then just a few "tommy guns" in the 20's. Bonnie and Clyde prefered BAR's that they stole from local armories.

Headhunter, I'm sorry about the "few Tommy guns" reference. I am even more sorry that I didnt post a photo of me with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Sorry, I get a little testy when people say that cops are outgunned today vs yesterday. The police have always been outgunned, which is why the "No knock" raid makes sense in a proper application.

Unfortunatly, a possiable consequence to this particuler situation will be a scale back in the ablilty of police agencies to utilize "no knocks", which will put more officers in danger.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Headhunter

Unfortunatly, a possiable consequence to this particuler situation will be a scale back in the ablilty of police agencies to utilize "no knocks", which will put more officers in danger.

So you agree they should have done their homework first?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Buying LMB
by esshup - 04/18/24 09:56 AM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 09:53 AM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by jm96 - 04/18/24 09:01 AM
Braggin Time