Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
11 members (NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8, catscratch, WallyB, Bigtrh24, Mainer, TonyinKY, Bill Cody, Rick O), 1,117 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Does anyone have any information on getting a population of freshwater shrimp started 30 miles or so south of Lake Erie in PA? I would like to get them established in my pond prior to adding any larger fish as additional forage. My hope would be a self sustaining population.

I added my fatheads today and am planning to add papershell crayfish as well, the shrimp would be a bonus, as are the tadpoles that are everywhere, unless the perch won't eat them, in which case, I have lots of frogs coming along.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you don't have good amounts of fine leafed submerged vegetation established in the pond, the kind of weeds most pondowners will not tolerate, then stocking them will be a waste of time and money (if you have to buy them). They feed on the attached plant and animal community that lives on the weeds. FW shrimp also eat a lot of the decaying vegetation as it dies. They are processors of decaying organic materials mostly plant matter. FW shrimp should be in the coastal wetlands of southern shoreline of Lake Erie. They occur in the wetlands of western lake Erie. The only ponds that I can get them established in are like those mentioned above. They can tolerate quite a bit of predation providing the submerged weeds are present and not a lot of FA is present.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/05/08 09:10 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
If you don't have good amounts of fine leafed submerged vegetation established in the pond, the kind of weeds most pondowners will not tolerate, then stocking them will be a waste of time and money (if you have to buy them). They feed on the attached plant and animal community that lives on the weeds. FW shrimp also eat a lot of the decaying vegetation as it dies. They are processors of decaying organic materials mostly plant matter. FW shrimp should be in the coastal wetlands of southern shoreline of Lake Erie. They occur in the wetlands of western lake Erie. The only ponds that I can get them established in are like those mentioned above. They can tolerate quite a bit of predation providing the submerged weeds are present and not a lot of FA is present.

Bill, would that include cool season grasses such as rye, oats, wheat, if sown in early fall when the pond is low?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
JoeG,

Are you referring to ghost shrimp? If so, why not just net some and put them in your pond? They'll either reproduce or they won't. I don't think stocking large quantities of them will significantly improve your chances of success. Having nearly clear bodies, they are designed to escape predation without a lot of cover.

I stocked mine in a brand new pond. All the food and cover available was a few small patches of bottom algae and a few sprigs of bermudagrass that crept into the edge of the pond. I still don't have any aquatic vegetation to speak of, yet they are absolutely thriving. In my experience, here in the South, they are very hardy. It may be different in your area, but certainly worth a try.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think Joe's problem is that freshwater shrimp or ghost shrimp are not very common in northern ponds, thus it is hard to find a pond where one can just dip them. Southern Lake Erie is the northern range for this species. Winter temperatures and ice cover must be stressful for these guys. I have never seen them in a weedfree pond unless the fish were not present or only present in very low numbers. IN the north when the weed die back in the winter the fish might prey very heavily on these shrimp thus eliminating them from many waters. It is also possible that the breeding season is shorter in the north thus populations do not get as big or high thus less predation eliminates them quicker. Numerous habitat and climate differences to consider with this.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/06/08 09:00 PM.

J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
That was exactly why I posed the question here Bill. I have heard very little about them around here, it would seem they would be a perfect fit for adding to the food chain both for fry and larger fish. I was hoping to hear how easy it is, but as most things go, it is not so simple. I still may try to add some in the spring if I can find a source for them and may even build a floating cage for them to start in, that way they would have a better chance at establishing.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Joe the floating cage will have little benefit for them becoming established. Either the habitat is correct or it is not. Too little habitat will result in all getting consumed and broodstock lost. One needs a large spawning to provide enough youngsters to survive till next breeding season; that is the problem with getting a breeding population established.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/07/08 09:18 PM.

J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Sounds like I should stick to buying and raising fatheads in my forage pond. Thanks Bill.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM