Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#125007 07/15/08 08:17 AM
K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Tow truck came to pick up pick-up, main hydro blew, 4-6 gallons hyd. fluid everywhere, 200' from pond, it will run downhill towards pond and eventually hit water. What should I do? What can I do? Any ideas would be helpful. I have called insurance co. waiting for them to call, but what's gonna happen to soil, driveway, and pond? The latter being the most important, of course. Thanks in advance, Kevin

I have buried the hatchet.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I'm sure someone else has more current info, but when I worked for a heating oil company spills were immediately handled by bringing in a backhoe and removing the affected soil and surrounding area. I forget what the depth and area was, but we would have to bring in fresh soil and do seeding etc... to bring it back to grade.

K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
That's kinda what I thought needs to happen, the tow truck outfit laughed at me when I told them the severity of this incident, I doubt they'll be laughing soon, my ins. agent is calling EPA and DNR, and Ford too, heads are gonna roll. Hopefully they can get to the affected area before any rain falls, as it will surely wash into pond.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I have worked in the oil patch in Sask. Canada cleaning up oil spills and reclamation(turning a old well sites back to natural landscape. Hydrolic oil is one of the worst things. All the oilspills in the area get cleaned up and put into a holding bin. All sorts of bad stuff but hydrolic oil spills like yours would have to put in another pile because it is more harmful to the environment and is disposed of differently. I would dig it up. You will be able to tell how deep it went

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
virgin, if its gonna take a while for the "agencies" to force the tow truck co. to do somehting, in thh meantime i would protect the pond by placing straw wattle and (oil) absorbant pads downhill of the spill between the spill and pond. straw bales would work until you get better more absorbent material.

(google "oil absorbent pads" or call a local hazmat ER company for a source)

hyd. oil is not (or really shouldnt be) considered a chemical toxin but its high viscosity causes problems to bugs and birds and the like and it'l make an ugly slick if it migrates as far as the pond. hopefully you have somewhat permeable soil where the spill occurred, and most will sit right there until you can get it dug up.

GSF are people too!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
You can pick up bilge pads at West Marine or other Boat stores in a pinch.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Get the name of tow truck company's liability insurance carrier and file a claim----it will pay and remove the problem quickly. If the tow truck company won't give it to you, call the police and they will provide it then. BTW PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES--document EVERYTHING! times dates etc.

K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
They are coming today to assess the damage,(tow trucks insurance) my asphalt has turned to mush, and hopefully my soil has contained most of it, they will be removing soil and replacing, and they will be giving me a new driveway. I probably would have accepted less, but, when the guy from the towing outfit laughed at me over the phone, about my concerns with my pond and fish, I lost it. Now I am a BRICK WALL. Thanks to everyone who posted, you guys have been great! This couldn't have happened at a worst time either, hog roast is saturday, anybody who lives close and would like to come is invited. PM me for directions.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: 40 yr old virgin
... hog roast is saturday ...

"Pork pull" in Texas! You learn all kinds of things in Arlington.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
... hog roast is saturday ...

"Pork pull" in Texas! You learn all kinds of things in Arlington.

Theo, You are a sick man!!!!! You can probably get into a lot of trouble with peta pulling private pork parts in pre-pubescent public presense......dang, now I gotta p...

Last edited by Rainman; 07/17/08 04:02 PM. Reason: I'm the one that'sprobaly sick so please pardon any possible puns.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We're gonna have to keep an eye on Rainman. Sunil, do you have a freak reading yet?

Lunker
Lunker
I do. 8.5 on the weird stuff-o-meter.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 07/18/08 08:29 PM. Reason: Many thanks to Agent J

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I thought so...he's a keeper

K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Two thugs show up today, from towing outfit, threatened me and my wife, then leave and call my cell phone.....low and behold, yes, they left a incriminating message, about watching my wife sunbathe, and that they have taken pictures of her. What they don't know yet is, the entire 'scene' in the front lawn was recorded on my surveillance, audio and all. The police will probably sell video to America's dumbest criminals, and they also heard voicemail. Heads are rolling!!! Getting those surveillance cameras was the smartest thing I think I've ever done, unintentionally speaking.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Definitely a keeper, and a lunker, lurker. Join the fun, you can sure hang with this bunch.(condolences).

I
Lunker
Lunker
I
keep us posted on the spill cleas up and the dumb criminals

chris garton
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Two thugs show up today, from towing outfit, threatened me and my wife, then leave and call my cell phone.....low and behold, yes, they left a incriminating message, about watching my wife sunbathe, and that they have taken pictures of her. .......

thats f*#@!ed up virgin.....a sad statement on the quality of those folks......they (tow truck co.) would be best served to say "i'm sorry mr. virgin, we'll dig that stuff up and get you some clean soil pronto, then attend the maintenance of our rigs"

less $$ would be spent just getting after it, and everybody could reach consensus, instead they'l end up losing big (more power to you, keep the heads rolling), while everybody remains pissed off over the whole situation.

too bad they dont understand life's too short....get a grip guys.....

good luck virgin...keep us posted.

GSF are people too!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Wow! how stupid and classless can people be? They've taken an accidental occurrence, and turned it into a criminal act.

Reminds me of the chimney sweep that brought his drunk brother to help, who then fell off the roof and sued us. He kept showing up to "see me" when I wasn't home. My wife finally had enough, so we reported it to our insurance, and they settled. I don't understand people anymore.

Don't cut them any slack, and make sure the cops get those tapes.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Two thugs show up today, from towing outfit, threatened me and my wife, then leave and call my cell phone.....low and behold, yes, they left a incriminating message, about watching my wife sunbathe, and that they have taken pictures of her. What they don't know yet is, the entire 'scene' in the front lawn was recorded on my surveillance, audio and all. The police will probably sell video to America's dumbest criminals, and they also heard voice mail. Heads are rolling!!! Getting those surveillance cameras was the smartest thing I think I've ever done, unintentionally speaking.

I hate stories like this. I'm an easy going guy until pushed beyond my sense of humor. Threaten me or my family at your own peril. You probably already have but if it were me I would:

1. Retain a civil attorney and determine what actions should be taken NOW in order to prevail in a damages suit.

2. Determine what agency licenses towing companies in your area. In California towing companies are intensely regulated. Find out what agency that is and write a letter and include copies of surveillance tapes and vocal recordings. Request a license suspension hearing.

3. Follow up with the police to ensure that criminal proceedings occur.

That's where I would start.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ditto all the above thoughts...
I went from total disdain and incredulity
 Quote:
Two thugs show up today, from towing outfit, threatened me and my wife, then leave and call my cell phone

...to Instant Karma
 Quote:
What they don't know yet is, the entire 'scene' in the front lawn was recorded on my surveillance, audio and all

...to three cheers and a huge gufaw
 Quote:
The police will probably sell video to America's dumbest criminals

...to reserved concern. I fear that the can of worms has only just been opened and the worst stink has yet to eminate. Attorney idea is definitely next. I imagine an attorney will recommend a restraining order, but we all know how protective those can (or can't) be. I'm not jealous of your situation, 40YOV, but appreciate your desire for justice. I truly hope it is achieved without further loss.
-
footnote: 40YOV is in my neck of the midwest woods. Yep, this is OUR version of redneck hoodlums.

Lunker
Lunker
Reminds me of the time the ex-convict made a brief trip through our front fence in a "borrowed" truck before returning to state sponsored housing.

-S. M. Stirling
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
We're gonna have to keep an eye on Rainman. Sunil, do you have a freak reading yet?

My wife has one standard comment of me and even a .wav file, that simply says "That boy ain't right" I then remind her who she lives with and then she usually grabs an anti-depressent---I can't figure out why though?........?

K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Hello ALL,

I thought i'd update the situation previously posted.

1). Received $14,000.00 for driveway. Way too much, the third estimate I got (which wasn't
requested) was for $6,700.00. Can I do whatever I want with the rest?

2). Oil never made it to pond. Even after Ike. Thank God!!!

3). Never, and I mean not once, has that tow truck, or its drivers, been past
my property, since that day. (added zoom camera to front, so I am sure of it.)

State Farm is my insurance Co. and even though it wasn't technically a claim by me,
they represented me all the way. Mods feel free to omit this, not trying to sound like a commercial, but S.F. took really good care me.

I would like to thank my lucky stars, nothing has become ugly. I believe the phone call I made to the owner of the towing outfit, which explained everything, video, audio, etc... had something to do with not having any retaliation. I will keep my fingers crossed (and my cameras rolling).

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Glad it has turned out good 40.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
dittos virgin.

GSF are people too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!