Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 838 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
There go my zeroes. Maybe next year.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
We have a spectacular offer for Forum Members only! Many of you contacted us, asking for the opportunity to participate in the Silent Auction that benefits the Jesse West Research Endowment at SDSU. Last year’s proceeds from the endowment went to Melissa Wuellner to buy observation tanks for her work on walleye and smallmouth bass interactions. Melissa will be one of the speakers at the annual conference this year. We’ve also used those tanks for work on the endangered pallid sturgeon. This year’s proceeds went to Justin VanDeHey, who is working on a cool new technique to assess food habits from fish tissue, fin clips, and scales. It turns out that different diets will create a different “signature” in the fish. We’ll have Justin come to next year’s conference and report on his results. However, we are hoping for a very exciting research opportunity. We think we can go back and get walleye scale samples from 20 years ago, before smallmouth bass were introduced, and then compare their diet signatures with current walleye samples after the smallies have been introduced. If this works, how cool will that be??

Dr. Dave and Eric, I believe that many of our forum members that will not be able to attend the PB conference would be interested in bidding for items at the “silent” auction.

Would it be feasible to consider “on-line” or “land-line” bidding for the impressive list of items that will be donated for the auction?

It’s all about raising money for the Jesse West Research Endowment at SDSU, so maybe the more the merrier?

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thanks for the good thought, George. We struggled with this topic earlier in the last month or two, and that actually is why we set up the online bidding for the Lusk Lodge II trip. We were just trying to provide an opportunity for the Forum folks to be involved. I'll alert Eric and Bob to your comments.

Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I'm one of those priveledged to have worked with a number of students from the SDSU program. Let me tell you, they are good!

One student that I had an opportunity to know fairly well is Andy Korth. He got his BS in Dave's program and is now working on his MS under Dr. Gary Larson in Botany at SDSU. He's been offered an opporunity to get a PhD at Texas A&M. I had an opportunity to spend a week with Dr. Larson and Andy in the Sandhills of Nebraska surveying plants. Andy has one of the broadest and best backgrouds in fisheries and wildlife of anyone I've ever met at his age. Andy is one of those students that would probably suceed no matter what but his training has really brought out his abilities.

This is one heck of a program!

Norm Kopecky
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Had the priviledge of the fishing trip this weekend at LL2. I can tell you, a good time was had by all. Cole managed to catch big BG, a NICE feed trained Largemouth, and Nate (n8ly) let Cole land one monster catfish. When we left at 4 pm, however, it was JeffHasAHangerover that had landed the biggest fish, a really nice cat that gave his itty-bitty crappie pole quite a workout. Here are some of the pictures from my camera. Sadly, we didn't get to spend as much time getting to know everyone as we would have liked, but chasing a 3 yr old will do that. Glad to have met everyone, and in a year or two, Cole, and maybe Rowan (now 1), will be with me at the conference.

Shawn

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
OK, can someone help me rotate these, they look right in Photobucket, but not here.

Shawn

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Norm Kopecky
One student that I had an opportunity to know fairly well is Andy Korth. He got his BS in Dave's program and is now working on his MS under Dr. Gary Larson in Botany at SDSU.

Farside Botany?

P.S. Great video, svoberts!

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 07/14/08 01:00 PM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Shawn thanks !!! Buying bait for that outing was the best few $s I ever spent. BTW thanks for helping the older students at SDSU through your involvement in the LL2 outing before and after the fishing.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Shawn -- many thanks for that extra-generous donation. I'll try to get the details of the silent auction finalized by the end of the week, and will post "final results."

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I had a great time at Lusk's. I think I caught 10 feed trained Largemouth in 2 hour of fishing over the two days. The biggest was about 4 pounds.

I also caught about 30 Bluegill, 1 Redear, and 3 catfish. Today N8ly and I got a double on our flyrods fishing for catfish. We were using George's Aquamax Largemouth pellet fly.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
I had a great time at Lusk's. I think I caught 10 feed trained Largemouth in 2 hour of fishing over the two days. The biggest was about 4 pounds.

I also caught about 30 Bluegill, 1 Redear, and 3 catfish. Today N8ly and I got a double on our flyrods fishing for catfish. We were using George's Aquamax Largemouth pellet fly.
Way to go guys - all's fair in love, war and fishin...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
It was certainly our pleasure and worth every penny to see the grins on the little guy's (brownie stained) face.

Shawn

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
What?????? "JeffHasAHangerover"!?!?

Sir, I deny and disaffirm that remark. I did not have personal relations with that "Captain and Coke."

My fish held as the largest fish for Sunday. I caught a personal best record.... a 6.25 pound channel catfish.

In addition after spending the day fishing, Mr. Lusk polled the crowd and it was determined that 13 personal best records were achieved that day. I can't remember all of the details (stupid, stupid Captain and Coke) but I know our two were: I caught the afore mentioned Channel Cat and Ricki caught her first HUGE Coppernose Blue Gill.

I'll post photos once my head stops pounding.

I'll write more about the entire conference experience soon but I want to take a moment to mention that Nate (N8tly) is a one in a million young man. He is very generous with his time and sharing his expertise. Without his help and the help of Bruce Condello I would have never landed this personal best Channel Cat. It is a memory that I will cherish forever.

As and also and besides both Nate and Chris are fantastic fly fishermen.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Guys I can sense a TRADITION in the making. Problem is next time it may be 50 of us lining the banks of the LL2 ponds.

Lunker
Lunker
I just remembered some questions that came up at the Conference that need answered.

JHAP: Just what is a "Captain and Coke"? Did Tennille dump him for illegal substance abuse?

CECIL: How do you pronounce the name of your hometown, Li-GO-knee-er, Li-go-NEAR, Li-go-knee-AY, or SHREEVE-port?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
What?????? "JeffHasAHangerover"!?!?

Sir, I deny and disaffirm that remark. I did not have personal relations with that "Captain and Coke."

My fish held as the largest fish for Sunday. I caught a personal best record.... a 6.25 pound channel catfish.

In addition after spending the day fishing, Mr. Lusk polled the crowd and it was determined that 13 personal best records were achieved that day. I can't remember all of the details (stupid, stupid Captain and Coke) but I know our two were: I caught the afore mentioned Channel Cat and Ricki caught her first HUGE Coppernose Blue Gill.

I'll post photos once my head stops pounding.

I'll write more about the entire conference experience soon but I want to take a moment to mention that Nate (N8tly) is a one in a million young man. He is very generous with his time and sharing his expertise. Without his help and the help of Bruce Condello I would have never landed this personal best Channel Cat. It is a memory that I will cherish forever.

As and also and besides both Nate and Chris are fantastic fly fishermen.

Well, you can add Cole's personal best bass to the list.

Jeff, that what is truly amazing about your fish is that it was caught on that little rod! What was it 4, maybe 6 lb test at the best. I've got a short video of part of the fight, but it doesn't do it justice, as I was on the other side of the pond.

I will second the note of Nate's quality as a gentleman and a scholar. He hooked his catfish and when Cole came to take a look, he handed the pole to him. (That's Nate and Cole in the video above, proud Dad is filming.)

Funny, I bid on the auction mostly for the joy of participating, not really expecting to come away with a slot. SSSOOOOO glad we came away with the slots and brought the whole family with us.

Shawn

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Svoberts
Jeff, that what is truly amazing about your fish is that it was caught on that little rod! What was it 4, maybe 6 lb test at the best. I've got a short video of part of the fight, but it doesn't do it justice, as I was on the other side of the pond.

It was an Ultralight Rod with 4 pound test. I'll post some photos but I think that Bruce has the best photo's of it. I was so tuckered out after that fish that I stopped fishing for the rest of the day (I had already caught a bunch of BG, and I decided to end on a personal best catch).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeffhasrubberarms

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
I just remembered some questions that came up at the Conference that need answered.

JHAP: Just what is a "Captain and Coke"? Did Tennille dump him for illegal substance abuse?

Captain & Coke ala JHAP:

Three and a half parts Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum (the choice of any respectable pirate).

Two parts Coke (actually I prefer Pepsi but beggars can't be choosers).

One half part Grenadine (this is optional but really adds a nice touch).

and a cherry if you're feeling the onset of Scurvy.

Oh and by the way the Captain & Tennille are alive and well and are planning a come back tour...... Muskratapalooza

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Good stuff Bruce, keep 'em coming! I'd like to see your "cover photo" posted and Aaron's huge bass.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...