Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steve Clubb, phinfan, Snipe, Boondoggle, catscratch), 1,070 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124794 07/13/08 02:14 AM
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Many of you know that we kicked around the idea of having a fish fry sometime during the meeting. Many of you agreed and the idea took on some strength.

Many of you kindly offered your participation and more thanks and details will follow.

But one member responded to the call without which no fish fry would have occured.

Young Man (aka Chris Steelman) responded to our call with a decisive affirmation of possibilities for success. I could feel Young Man's confidence as we corresponded via the forum and over the phone, in very few words (he's a Young Man of few words...). Young Man came fully prepared to execute the plan. He left nothing to chance. He supplied every single thing needed to cook fish outdoors as well as the fish itself.

Upon our intitial recon trip for locations to cook, Young Man and I discussed our options. Our first plan was to go to the back corner of the hotel or convention center parking lot/property and commence operations. If resistance occured, we would move 10' over the property line and continue operations. If challenged yet again, Young Man's grandparents lived less than a mile from our location and we would go there to complete operations. Then, the cooked fish would be brought into the show, without any unnecessary attention, for all to enjoy.

At go time, Young Man set up two propane cooking units (he had three units with him), and proceeded to start cooking. Later, Young Man's father joined us and started manning the second cooker. Both Young Man, and then his father, cooked up some fine bass and catfish for all of us to enjoy.

Outstanding Young Man! Again - Outstanding Young Man! Thank you so much for making this idea happen. You completely took charge of this project and delivered, big time.

As you have been formerly graced with the title, Young Man, you are now formally relieved from the same.

You are now officially bequeathed with the title Young Brother from Another Mother, shortened to 'Young Blood.'

If any of you enjoyed the fish that Young Blood and his father (Young Blood Senior I guess...no, his name is Randall Steelman), please extend a thank you so these fine gents get the credit they deserves for elevating the bar on our mutual experience and enjoyment.

Last edited by Sunil; 07/14/08 10:57 AM. Reason: It was too late when I was writing this.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I thought the fish were excellent.Good fish,good batter,good cooking skills,just great all the way around.
Now,if he was paying attention when I showed him the REAL way to age a fish,he's gonna go far in the real world.(For those of you who were out back for the fish cleaning you now know you dont need the olotooth to precisly age fish)

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Jr. and Sr. Steelman. Three huge trays of fish were eaten in a flash and much enjoyed.

T
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
T
Thank you very much chris, and congrats on your newly appointed position

Fisheries Biologist
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks

"Success is often overlooked because it dresses up in overalls and disguises itself as work."
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sunil has amazing recuperative powers by posting such an eloquent adornation of Young Blood. Notice the time of the post. Either he had spell check working overtime or he is just damn good. I say he's just a natural. Thanks, my new brother, from another mother. Special thanks to Young Blood, his father, and all others involved.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I ate some of the scraps of cooked fish. Even the left overs were tasty. Good job guys.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
How fitting - our trip to Arlen Arlington made complete by propane and propane accessories.

Thanks, Chris and Randall!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Burger, how right you are! I started typing that and then thought "...should I be doing this right now?"

I nodded off a few times while proof reading it, but convinced myself that it was not because it was boring!

At any rate, I wanted to get something up ASAP to acknowlege Young Blood's efforts.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Thanks everybody.

I think the fish fry should be a Conference tradition. It didn't take long to prepare all of that fish. If we had about 5 cookers we could have cooked an entire meal in no time.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
You guys did a great job and was greatly appreciated.
I thought y'all were nuts frying fish in Texas heat but was hi-lite of conference.

If more recreational events are included in future conferences, attendance would double or triple....IMO....

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
At first, and even for last year's show, I was always prodding for a fish fry but in more of a joking way. Young Blood took the bull by the horns and ran with it. Outstanding...

Lunker
Lunker
Speaking of things you have pushed for in a joking way, whatever happened to Overton's fish and all those pond weeds?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
We were all set for a late-night stocking. Several recon missions showed the hotel pond to contain koi and mosquito fish.

The hotel pond also showed to be neglected as did many things in the hotel (you should tell your story about Starbucks). No one was paying any attention to the pond, so I felt confident that there would be no blowback from stocking. I even thought of invoicing them for the fish.

At any rate, the convention floor was so cold that Overton's fish tank water was maybe 20 degrees or more cooler than the outside water temps.

We felt there would be no pride in stocking fish only to have them go belly up. In addition, I would have a hard time invoicing the hotel for a dead fish stocking that would get noticed pretty quick.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Young Man,I think you are correct(as ussual).I say we make the fish fry an annual event.Sunil,your in charge of remembering this

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
What pond weeds I did not see any stinkin pond weeds, but someone may have an couple of new clients. The pond toward the ballpark and the hotel pond will need to be treated soon. \:D \:D

Young Blood if you need more cookers for next year let me know.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
There were so many things happening at that time during the conference I was stunned to see how many fillets were in that pan! Very nice, I only ate a couple so everyone could have some...but the thought did cross my mind to look for a plate, they were delicious! My hat's off to you guys for pulling that one off behind the scenes \:\)

Who brought all the different varieties of pond weeds? (poor guy, lol, his pond must look miserable!) It was neat to see them in baggies...good thought and great conversation topic.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!