Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,757
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,501
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
8 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, Brad346, Joe7328, Foozle, Freunb02, Dave Davidson1, Bill Cody), 997 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124207 07/07/08 04:11 PM
D
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Hi folks!
I just found this forum about a week ago and have been reading it every chance I get since then...Wow. What a resource.

I found this place because it happened to show up when I was using Google looking for somewhere to buy large diameter (12-15") corrugated pipe.

I bought a piece of land with fairly new pond on it (built 3 yrs ago, filled with water 2 yrs ago) and whomever built it did a poor job on the overflow.

I need to replace the pipe bt so far, I have not had much luck finding the pipe I need. I have found a piece 24" diameter that is 300' long, but they want about $5k for it. That is pretty steep for pipe that is too big and too long for what I need.

Can anybody help a noob find a piece of 12" corrugated about 125' long?

Thanks!

-Dave

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Abs plastic pipe is the cheapest around and is good if the pipe is not going to be used as a drop structure where the pressures would burst the pipe. Not sure if they have a supplier in your area. Home depot and lowes carry a similar product in 12 and 15 inch dia in 20 ft lengths. Good luck

Come to think of Brettski has used it and is in your neck of the woods, perhaps he can lead you in the right direction

Last edited by rockytopper; 07/07/08 05:10 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I used a product manufactured by Prinsco. Up by me, their product is distributed retail by Menards. My contractor just happened to have an account with Prinsco, so I used his account to purchase the product direct. I can't recall the savings, but I believe it was 20 - 30% off retail at Menards.
I used 6 sections of 18" diameter x 20'. My contractor (who has constructed many ponds) insisted that we use smooth core dual wall at each end. The idea is that our freezing climate can freeze water at the exposed ends. If these exposed ends are corrugated, they will collect water and freeze. If there is any crap (for whatever once-in-a-lifetime reason) laying in the same area, it might freeze and get stuck. Then, when another rush of water comes thru, the clogging potential raises exponentially. Everything in between is regular corrugated and much less likely to freeze. They are connected with plastic collars and the pipe is carefully packed with a jumping-jack compactor.

D
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Thanks for the info guys.

Brettski, I had thought of using that type of pipe (which is usually used for road culverts and such, isn't it?) but the idea of there being joints in the pipe made me reluctant to try it. Do the collars make it fairly watertight? The idea of using smooth core dual wall at each end seems pretty sound to me.

I will see what I can find out from the info I have so far and try to show some "before and after" if I can get the hang of posting a picture of two...

Thanks again guys!

-Dave

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
I had thought of using that type of pipe (which is usually used for road culverts and such, isn't it?) but the idea of there being joints in the pipe made me reluctant to try it. Do the collars make it fairly watertight?

-
Dave...I'm glad you brought that question up. Like so many facets of our pond construction, I trusted the guy I hired to make sound engineering decisions. He came with the credentials and experience. Anyway, we used the simple plastic connectors that are NOT watertight. Some weeks after the installation, it dawned on me that there might be other connectors. I did find some products that are more watertight, but never researched it much deeper since it was a moot point for my project. I do know that we had exceptional clay and it was compacted around the entire length of the pipe with care. This, combined with a limited watershed that should typically provide "less than average" outflow at the pipe, let's me sleep at night.
-
Let's see what others say.
-
LET'S ASK OTTO

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I received fax at the office advertising used drainage pipe. I looked but couldn't find it. I probably tossed it because it was all fairly large sizes. Construction companies use it temporarily and then sell it off after a project is complete. Maybe do a search for used pipe.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My bad the product is ADS not ABS. Here is a link to their website. http://www.ads-pipe.com/en/index.asp

They carry a product with a water tight joint which is what I used on my last project. I used the collar type on my first pond and seal the joints with silicon and poured concrete around each joint have had no issues 10 years thus far. I believe the amount of seepage is a non issue even if you don't do anything but in stall it as built. Good luck

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
What about a siphon system?

D
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
The only real reason for my concern about the joints is that if I bury the pipe (which is what I PLAN to do...) I won't be able to see if there are problems with the joints...Maybe there never will be. Buuuuuuuut.........

I guess I am just surprised that a continuous coil of the stuff doesn't seem to exist....or at least I can't find one...

Rocky, I really like the looks of the ADS product. I might end up having to make a phone call to those folks and find out how to get my hands on thier stuff.

And GW, I have looked at a lot of stuff about siphon systems on this forum, and I am certainly not against the idea of using just such a system, but it seems that it wouldn't really solve my problem of finding a *relatively* cheap solution. But, so far, what I have imagined as fairly inexpensive has been hard to find. Is there a big advantage to having a siphon system?

I am almost to the point of just pouring a concrete "spillway" but I am trying to avoid that as I think it would be sinfully ugly (my apologies in advance to folks who have very nice looking concrete spillways!)...

-Dave

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dave, I don't have much experience with ponds but I chose a siphon and it's working out nicely for me. You don't need a long pipe for one thing. The diameter of the pipe can be smaller because it operates under pressure. Water enters your pond at the surface level and the siphon pulls water from deep so you're draining off less desirable water. I would think that in a situation like yours where you have constant flow a siphon would be great because you would constantly be draining deep (less oxygenated) water.

Please keep in mind I'm a rookie, so give the more experienced pondmeisters more consideration. \:\)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:28 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:24 PM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:21 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by DrewSh - 04/17/24 03:58 PM