Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis
18,530 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,013
Posts558,507
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,605
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
4 members (Angler8689, Theo Gallus, cjschuhmann, Sunil), 1,074 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
K
I put a 40 lb bag of 20-20-5 with the top cut out of the bag laying on a platform around 18 inches deep in my pond. The bag busted and let around 30 lbs go in the pond. Now I have a big green algea bloom with some fish dieing each day. Visablity is around 8 to 10 inches and dont seem to be getting any better. Is there anything I can do to help clear this mess before it gets any worse. I am on about day 10 with this problem with around 40 fish died so far.

Pond is an 1/2 acre with Vertex two cell areator... I have been leaving areator running the whole time this has been going on.

I can get some algeaside cemical called Cutrine Plus here local but I wanted to see if this would be a good or bad way to maybe help start clearing the pond up a little.

This is my first post and Im sure it want be my last...
Thanks for any help...
Kelly

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hi Kelly, welcome to Pond Boss. Hang on and I'm sure one of the experts will chime in.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hi Kelly -
I don't think adding Cutrine would be a good idea - that would kill the algae which would further deplete your oxygen. Were you running the aeration system 24/7 before this mishap? I'm not an expert on fertilization, but I think you should just hang in there and everything will work itself out - I could be wrong, but I really think killing the algae bloom would be the wrong thing to do...

Last edited by Sue Cruz; 07/09/08 01:43 PM.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Kelly it is necessary to know some info to try and address your problem. What killed the fish ? - I doubt it was a DO problem if the aerator has been running the whole time. What is your alkalinity ? Can you post a pic of the water ? What was the visibility before the fertilizer dump ? Do you have a source of water (well ) ?

You don't want to kill the plankton bloom as Sue says. It is possible to reduce it some but I would not recommend that for several reasons. I have however used that concept successfully in the past but it takes a lot of info and experience with your water before I would try it. It is a last resort measure.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thirty pounds per 1/2 acre does not, by itself, sound like a real problem. Did you have a fertility problem before? Like Ewest says, this doesn't sound like a DO problem with the aerator running.

I'm wondering if the aerator stirred up something bad from the bottom of the pond..

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 07/08/08 10:00 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
K
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
K
Thanks for all the help guys... The visibility before I fertilized was around 2 feet pretty clear, with some green color. We are still dealing with a drought here in Alabama and I have been hauling water from a spring feed creek for over two months trying to get it full. I havent had any fish to die until I fertilized. I dont know what the alkalinity is but the Alabama Game and Fish biologist was here just before i started with the fertilzer and checked out everything and said it was good to go. The water looks somewhat clearer today with only one died fish. The bigger Blue Gill and smaller Bass where the first to start dieing. Only other thing that I have noticed that the fish are not feeding as most all the fish pellets are left floating? Could this be dew to the visisblity in the water? Maybe I have come through the worst already - I hope...
Thanks again for your help

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I don't think you should be feeding right now either - that will just be adding to the waste and decomposition. Isn't the purpose of fertilizing to bring about a plankton bloom to feed the zooplankton and smaller fish and to promote the food chain?

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Kelly 2 feet is not my definition of pretty clear. Do you have a secchi disc to check tvisibility? If you have an agressive feeding plan the lake may be farily fertilie already and the fertilizer but it over the top.

If your fish are feeding at all this is a good sign. They will not when stressed. I think you made it through but I suggest monitoring things a little closer. WIth a Vertex system running it shoudl help cleanse the water. how long have you had this system in place? Can you call the installer to get advice since they were there.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob-O
Recent Posts
Optimal vs. Purina
by Theo Gallus - 05/15/24 04:47 PM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Ortantyun - 05/15/24 11:22 AM