Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,913
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (4CornersPuddle, catscratch, Boondoggle, Shorthose, esshup, Joeydickens93, rjackson, Theo Gallus), 749 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ahvatsa
Bruce wrote:
"I harbor no ill will towards him."

I am biting my tongue here so hard it's BLEEDING!
EOM
edit
But, I DO believe...
What goes around comes around...

That's what I keep trying to tell Bill Cody. But he says he doesn't believe in karma. He and I were done very wrong a couple of years ago by a fish farmer in R, C, Ohio. B H is his name and the farm is called the R F F. I came to pick up $600.00 worth of bluegills. The guy refused to come out. When he did he said he was, "I'm all out." Then he said let me rephrase that, "I am not selling any to you! And I want you two off my property immediately." I had no clue what I had done nor did Bill. Only thing that I could come up later was I had one of his competitors electroshock my pond. (Actually all they did was manage ponds, they didn't even sell fish).

Apparently this B H is paranoid of competiton and had it out for me for doing business with one of his competitors. Found out I was not the only one he had done this to. A fish supplier in Indiana was going to get fish from him. He backed out at the last minute and left her hanging.

What really honked me is the guy refused to tell us why.

I drove many hours round trip to buy fish for nothing. Unfortunately he doesn't have much competition (Imagine that with him being so paranoid) so it probably doesn't hurt him one bit. I still believe in Karma though. Just may take time. :-)

Last edited by ewest; 12/13/09 08:55 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
SCSCUBA1 Adding h.lime will increase the alkalinity and pH.

What is the reason that your Pond Guy wants you to cut back on feeding your fish. How much are you feeding to what types of fish? Also what type or brand of fish food you using? Does the bag tag list crude protein content?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
First of all, thanks to all on this forum for recommendations about my pond. I will take some of my questions to another link. Before I leave this post though, I must say that it is pretty alarming that a field that is relitavely obscure, fish sellers, is so replete with dishonest or, at best, unethical people. I joined this forum about 15 years ago, stocked my pond, then left until this week. Unfortunately, it seems as though little has changed. I am not blaiming anyone here on the forums, your sage advise is greatly appreciated. However, some of these complaints about some of the fish sellers are not new. There were some bad things being said about the GG guy way back then and, even worse, there is another guy operating out of Arkansas who apparently still continues to offer the "Free Fish" scam, even as it appears after he has had more run-ins with the law (he was purported to have been in trouble with the law a few times 15 years ago too). I don't understand how these people can continue to operate year after year taking advantage of innocent, yet naive, people. Luckily for me, I managed to just barely escape doing business with these people. Thanks again to all of the honest guys out there.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
What ever happened to the retired NASA guy in East Texas that had the GG pond, I been away too long and can't remember his name. Seems to me he had a very nice web site of his farm and was also raising HSB. Does he still give updates on his GG progress, did they grow to Bubba size yet?

Last edited by FamilyTradition; 03/23/08 05:34 AM.

Pond Boss subscriber ever since I joined the forum. Thanks Bob!
A
Lunker
Lunker
A

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: DARRELL BRIGHT
....it is pretty alarming that a field that is relitavely obscure, fish sellers, is so replete with dishonest or, at best, unethical people...

I'm not sure what is meant by "replete", but this forum is well populated with really honest and ethical fish sellers who I would trust with my money in a second. I think that, unfortunately, it is the few that are bad that get all the press and attention. It's too bad...and not fair.

I guess we're just like the media in general sometimes--we turn the bad things into headlines, but when someone like Todd Overton or Bob Lusk provides an amazing, thoughtful ethical service we just take it for granted and it never gets mentioned.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
To second Bruce - yes, there are unethical people in the fish selling business, just like there are in any other. It has not been my take, however, that they represent more than a small fraction of the practitioners of this industry.

Now, that kind of behavior can't stand facing the light of day. Presenting all aspects of fish, ponds, etc. is what we try to do here at Pond Boss, so in dealing with professional fish sellers, aerators, chemical folks, etc. here, one tends to see the better side of the business. So maybe I've got a somewhat unjaded opinion. OTOH, EVERYONE could just deal with professionals that willingly appear in the light of day here - evaluating and judging by the experiences and info we share on and with them - and we'd likely all have better experiences with fish sellers, etc.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 03/23/08 07:36 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
This may not be relevant, but was this forum here (15) years ago?

Anyway, I think Meadowlark has been happy with his Georgia Giants, but one has to remember that ML didn't buy into the whole Holyoke scam. ML bought what he knew to be an appropriate stocking amount, plus ML was educated regarding ponds.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
On a funny note I had a guy in the Aquaculture business, after I told him about the incident at the R F F tell me that all of the people in the industry are disfunctional. \:D I wonder if this goes for pondmeisters too? I know it applies to me. \:D

Of course I don't condone bad business practices or dishonesty one bit.

Last edited by ewest; 12/13/09 08:51 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
New to this forum and website so I am not sure how to get my questions (which are many) in a new thread so I am jumping into this one. We have just purchased a piece of property in Southern Indiana that has a 4-5 acre lake. This lake is approx 30 yrs old. I am told that it is 34 ft deep in places. I know absolutely nothing about managing a body of water. So where do I start and in what priority?
The fish we have been catching are large except for the bass. The majority of the bass are in the 12 inch range but the crappie are on avg 16 inches long and the blugill are about about the size of my open hand. There has not been very many small fish caught. How do I learn what is in the lake?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to the PB Forum Wyatt.

Start with this thread from the archives on population analysis.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92492#Post92492

Then look through the archives for common questions and answers.

Here is a link to pond mgt info in your area. It is dated info but has some good basics.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publications/fsmgt/fishmgt.pdf

Last edited by ewest; 03/23/08 07:15 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Welcome Wyatt. I think we can help you with improving your 'new' pond.
I created a new topic for you in the Forum heading of Evaluating and Managing an Existing pond. You can find it using this link (below) or go to the Forum List (tool bar above), click it, then scroll down to Managing An Existing Pond, then choose Evaluating & Adjusting Fish Populations. Look for your new topic title of "Help For Second Hand Pond in Indiana" and click on it.

link to: Help for second hand pond in IN.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=112578#Post112578

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/23/08 09:36 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bruce I see this forum working, maybe just in a small way, to help shut down these "bad" fish dealers. Folks always ask the question how does Ken's stay in business with these pratices? It is simple his marketing is a good as it gets. There are enough pond owners out ther who would like to believe it. Then even if it does not work there was really not many place they could turn to get the "right" info. This is where PB has stepped in and why I Love this site so much. It is a watchdog or sorts for the as Bob calls it a cottage industry. If I do something bad to a client then he has all rights to post it here, just glad i do not have too many disssatisfied customers.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Somebody type in "Georgia Giants", "Georgia Giant Bream", or "Georgia Giant Growth Rates" in google, and see what happens. I think a certain unnamed member of Pond Boss is having a very positive effect on Pond Boss presence on search engines.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bruce,

I tried that the day this thread started without results. Now it is number 5 on the first page of results, that should get the word out.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I think a certain unnamed member of Pond Boss is having a very positive effect on Pond Boss presence on search engines.

Would that be Barnes?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Try this link on previous discussion on Georgia Giant Bream.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=13069&fpart=2

Be nice to me, Theodocious. I've been in a bad place lately. \:\(

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Hey man sorry to read about the bad customer service thing. I am a buisness owner myself and thats why i cant have crews working for me. But if your down around myrtle beach south carolina way i can give you plenty like whats in your picture. @ inch to 10 inch. I have some pictures of them in update on my pond on types of fish to chose. No cost just have to make your way to the beach. Its my uncles pond and he has thousands of these Hbg and georgia giants.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's a great offer! \:\)

Wish I got down that way--I'd do it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I think a certain unnamed member of Pond Boss is having a very positive effect on Pond Boss presence on search engines.

Would that be Barnes?

There is credible evidence that Barnes is really DB Cooper.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
and they just found the parachute!

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 03/26/08 09:44 PM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Geez sorry I was not around for this one!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Well, it's your own dang fault Grandpa. Where have you been?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bruce, I'm late getting on this band-wagon, but, one thing for sure, Ken's Fish Farm needs to revisit how they do business. I for one, would personally handle the negative calls or displeased customer (and as noted by others), make good the bad product. Sounds like the lady on the phone went beyond, way beyond, what she should have been saying in conversation, she should have been polite and passed you on to the Owners/Managers. I have Georgia Giants I bought locally here in Indiana and mine were healty and are actually doing excellent (they're huge and healty--I am pleased with them).

On the flip side, I must say I have bought fish locally and did have 100 of 700 die (bluegill) and they wouldn't make it good. You expect some to die but not that many. I won't name the supplier but yes, they made me feel like I was lying. Guess, bottom line it's money.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:31 AM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:29 AM
1 year after stocking question
by Joeydickens93 - 04/23/24 07:21 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!