Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pat Williamson, gehajake), 1,356 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I'm a new member as of today but have been researching this for about a month now. Already have copy of Ag handbook #590. I have 3 projects that I am considering for our ranch near Devine, TX. Project 1: cleanout of an existing 1 acre pond used for livestock. I have determined that it has approximately 3 to 4 ft of silt. It hasn't been cleaned since our family purchased the property. We are currently in a significant dry spell so draining it is not a factor. (it has already gone dry). The project that I have questions on is this: We have a dry creek bed that runs for just under 1 mile across our ranch. The only time it has water is when we receive a very heavy rain. I have seen the creek contain over 6 feet of runoff following a 4+ inch storm. We have 2 roads that cross this creek. One is a gravel/caliche road that gets significant use on a daily basis. the other road is just a crossing that is very rarely used due to the deep loose sand in the creek at the crossing point (very easy to get a 4x4 stuck during dry spells). I am looking at the feasability of constructing 2 flood control dams along the creek. My guestimate is that the upper dam would be 15-20' high and 150' across. The top of the dam would be crossed by the heavily used road. The second dam would be about a half mile from the first and be about the same size. Also, the water flow from both will go over the tops. The dams that I envision will be a concrete (due to high silt content in the runoff), low water crossing type for the upper one with 4 culvert pipes; and an earthen dam with drain pipe at the lower end. The end goal is to have 2 holding ponds that can be used for livestock, wildlife, and as a supplement for irrigating 3 coastal fields nearby. My problem is that the topsoil is very fine sand that varies in depth before hitting clay. Can the dams be constructed without having significant seepage around the sides? Will the creek channel need to be dug out deeper? Will the sides have to be lined? Also, can this be done without breaking the bank (my initial budget is about $50k)? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Jim,

Welcome to the Forum. I'll throw out a few thoughts, some or all of which you may have already considered.

First, pub 590 is a great place to start. It has helped me immeasurably. Second, I would recommend that you tackle renovating the old pond as the first step in your project to help establish an experience base for yourself, for evaluating potential contractors for the larger construction, and for getting a better feel for the soils you have and how they can be shaped into a good pond on your ranch.

Some thoughts on the larger projects. The soil composition for the dam is critical. You may have to dig deeper and/or move clay to the dam site to achieve a leak free dam. Soil tests are required to make this determination.

In addition, I've been on some South Texas ranches and have seen the effects of high water events. My concern would be to insure that the dam(s) would not be washed out by such an event. I think a professional engineering evaluation would be in order before starting your construction on the larger dams.

The use of culverts and pipes in the dam adds some risk also to the project. To minimize those risks not only requires adequate soils, but also expert installation from an experienced operator. Your seepage is most likely to come from these points and anything but 100% perfect installation will increase your risks.

The key to these projects, in my opinion, is the availability of good quality clay. Your costs will be a function of that availability. Your chances of success are also dependent on that factor.

Take the time and spend the money up front to make as good a determination of that factor as possible. With that knowledge and an engineering evaluation of the proposed dam, you should have the information you need to make a decision on proceeding. There will still be risks, but you will have mitigated the major ones.

Please keep us informed on your progress. You have a very interesting set of projects which could provide more knowledge to readers of the Forum.

J
OP Offline
J
Meadowlark:
Thanks for the input! I have an initial estimate of $2000 from a local contractor for the cleanout of the small pond. Not sure if this will be the one I utilize though. Last time a cleanout was done for one of our ponds was over 15yrs ago when I was a senior in high school. I'll probably have that done late this spring since I have to replace about a mile of boundary fence first. The fence work should be done by March. The dam projects are long term and at least 2 yrs away from groundbreaking at the earliest so I still have a significant amount of time to get information gathered, testing done,etc.
I have an existing pond of about 3/4 acre that is about 100 yards from the creek that would be dammed up. I know that this will have to be taken into account b/c the pond's existing dam will be effected. Not sure exactly to what extent but that will be determined by the engineering survey. I'll have some initial pictures available after the first of the year.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
That sounds like a reasonable estimate on a 1 acre pond to me. Look forward to your pictures.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM