Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,536
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Brev), 286 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, I think your shooters, since they are cool water fish and actively eat in colder water than BG, can add at least 3/4" to 1" more growth before they are a full 365 days old. Keep feeding them in the cage and we will see what sizes they are next spring. I think you are seeing predominately a normal growth size range from a typical egg strand. I think Bruce sees a very similar size discrepency in a batch of BG, esp in the spawns of the first few yrs of his big BG project.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Cecil, are you purposefully selecting both males and females, or just keeping the biggest YP (which I would guess would tend to favor females)?

I'm selecting the largest fish, which yes, will be predominantly females. However according to my original supplier there will be a few males in the bunch. And since I have a market for the larger females, and not many males are needed for breeding, this works out O.K. for me.

I have a cage just for males of which I will cull the largest ones for breeders. The rest are sacrificed for VHS testing as they don't grow as large and I'd rather sacrifice them than my large females.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/19/08 07:28 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Very interesting.

I'm guessing that in water with predators, the smaller and weaker fish would be eaten by the time the others could reach the larger size -- if they didn't get eaten first.

For some reason I also always thought that yellow perch were cannibalistic, so I'm surprised that the larger ones didn't eat the smaller ones. Maybe they just prefer the pellets.

Anyway, thanks again for posting about such an interesting project.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Very interesting.
 Quote:
For some reason I also always thought that yellow perch were cannibalistic, so I'm surprised that the larger ones didn't eat the smaller ones. Maybe they just prefer the pellets.

Actually that may have happened. There's no way of knowing short of cutting open the larger ones from time to time.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/18/08 09:25 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
...I think Bruce sees a very similar size discrepency in a batch of BG, esp in the spawns of the first few yrs of his big BG project.

Very true. As a matter of fact, I've been seining CSBG the last week and I'm seeing fish all the way from 1.25 inches to 5.25 inches.

You have a remarkable divergence in your fish, but I am so impressed with the body condition of those top-end YP. They're amazing.

This is a really cool thread.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil I agree with the logic. Can't say why wrt YP but thought this bit on LMB initial size , growth and adult size would be of interest.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Eric,

You're comparing a yellow perch to a lowly green carp! \:o

How dare you!

Seriously that's interesting... ;\)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
That is interesting, I would have thought the smaller fish would never have caught up to the larger fish. Kinda like the stunted fish theory that if they begin to grow agin, they wouldn't ever get as large as if they had had a proper diet all along.

Cecil I worded my post wrong, I meant to say that I'm sure you know these were the only fish in the pond, when you added the eggs, in other words the pond was sterile or free of fish when you began, no chance of any additions that would cause such a size difference, very neat just the same. Obviously you would get some difference egg to egg in any strand. It happens with Humans too, I have the siblings to back it up.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Joe G,

Yes there were not other fish in the pond especially perch as I've never had perch in the pond before and there is no way they could get in. I also drained and sterilized the pond before adding the eggs.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I never really doubted that, you seem like a man who has his feet on all the bases so to speak. One last question, you do eat perch don't you??? I'd hate to see all those fish grow that big with none ever making it to the table.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: JoeG
I never really doubted that, you seem like a man who has his feet on all the bases so to speak. One last question, you do eat perch don't you??? I'd hate to see all those fish grow that big with none ever making it to the table.

Well thanks for the kind words but I'm still learning.

If I eat any fish it may be some of the males if I end up with more than I need for health testing. The rest are too valuable to eat. Eating a big perch of 15 inches would be like flushing $75.00 down the toilet. And that get to 2 lbs. or better I could easily get $150.00.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Blazzzy, jkrueger
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/17/24 09:57 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....