Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#121844 06/13/08 04:29 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK, Burgermeister got me goin' when he morph'd to cornbread while we were morph'g to grits on Cat's horse thread. Yeah, figger that one out.
-
Man, I love cornbread. Give me your best cornbread recipe.
-
Include additive options. You know, like hot peppers...or...toppings like honey or butter or cinnamon....or whatever.

Lunker
Lunker
jalepeno cornbread w/ peper jack cheese.

OR for deserts...sweet cornbread with honey butter..

D-licious!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Regular cornbread packets. Morrison's, or Texas style cornbread. With cracklins' added for a change. Must be yellow cornmeal.
Collard greens, field peas, hot vinegar pepper sauce. Cook cornbread in an iron skillet, not muffins. Hush yo' mouth.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Use any self-rising cornmeal.

Fry up 5-6 strips of bacon, a bit crunchy.
Make some cornbread batter, add 3-4tbsp of bacon drippings.
Break up bacon, add it to the batter
Add about 1/4" of bacon drippings to a black iron skillet, and bake cornbread as usual.

Best eaten with red beans or black eyed peas. :P

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I like to make yellow cornbread, reduce amount of liquid , then add green chillies, can of cream style corn. When done top with crumbled bacon and sharp cheddar cheese. Yum Yum good with beans, or most anything.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I've found nothing to equal Jiffy cornbread mix. Actually it's named corn muffin mix but the muffin police probably won't come calling if it's baked in a pan or skillet. I like mine overbaked by a few minutes. Some might find it a trifle too sweet but sweet is my favorite flavor.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dudley, I'm on my way to the store to try that. Mmmmm, Mmmmmmm!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Use any self-rising cornmeal.

Fry up 5-6 strips of bacon, a bit crunchy.
Make some cornbread batter, add 3-4tbsp of bacon drippings.
Break up bacon, add it to the batter
Add about 1/4" of bacon drippings to a black iron skillet, and bake cornbread as usual.

Best eaten with red beans or black eyed peas. :P

I do believe a pot of beans/peas is on the menu this week-end

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
[quote=bobad]I do believe a pot of beans/peas is on the menu this week-end

Mmmmm... I'm waiting for an invite!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
A combination of Bobad and Dudley's ideas. Jiffy Mix in a Cast iron skillet with Bacon grease. If I want more crunch I will use one box of Jiffy Mix and combine it with Martha Whites Cornmeal (and recipe) and again with the cast iron skillet. Sure it usually doubles the amount of cornbread so we have leftovers but I like it reheated with butter and honey for breakfast. Add any of onions, bacon, cheese, sour cream. depending on who else is sharing and what our taste run that day.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I just read this thread and now I'm taking a early lunch. Thanks guys.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I don't have a recipie but you have got to cook it in a greased pre heated Cast Iron Skillet. It gives it a delicious carmelized crust. MMMMMMMMM cornbread.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK, I have seen enough about this cast iron skillet thing. I ain't gots one.
What, where, and how....and...dontcha gotta season it?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Teflon works just as well, but don't tell anyone I said so. \:\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Brettski, check on Lodge cast iron cooking gear. With your tendency toward addictions, you will be into Dutch oven cooking and watching Lonesome Dove.

BTW, pay attention to the instructions about seasoning before use. Unseasoned cast iron can make you grow a third ear and never have children.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
And use this handy mnemonic to remember when to season your pans:

"Sauce pans in Winter,
Crepe pans in Fall;
Come Spring and Summer
There's food for us all!"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
...dontcha gotta season it?

Wait a minute... I was born and raised in NJ (no jokes please) and even I know the answer to that.... ;\)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Use lard, not oil. Heat it up slowly to a fairly high temp., hold for a while, then back off slowly. The lard will infiltrate the pores in the cast iron. View Lonesome Dove during the entire process. Bon appetit'
OR, you can just grease it, and throw it in the fire this winter.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

OR, you can just grease it, and throw it in the fire this winter.

We have my grandmother's old cast iron skillet and it has been cleaned in the fireplace many times over it's lifetime.

My wife uses it regularly and I frequently use to fry fish over butane cooker.
No telliong how old it is.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Lunker
Or how long it will continue to fry fish for generations of Glazeners to come.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My favorite is Tony Cachere's hushpuppie mix. I add 1/2 a minced onion and a little cayenne pepper. Hard to beat with a pile of fried fillets http://www.cajunspice.com/batters/

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Heating properties are completely different for cast vs. teflon. I have a buddy that grinds his own organic corn meal that makes AMAZING cornbread. He grinds it coarse so that the bread has a killer texture, cooks it in cast iron over an open fire and serves it with pork ribs. Pork ribs and cornbread, can't get more Iowa then that.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Heating properties are completely different for cast vs. teflon.

I guess you haven't seen the big, massive restaurant quality Teflon skillets and pans. Cast iron has no advantages over them, except they last forever.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Even the restaurant quality teflon skilets and pans can't compare to Cast Iron for its heating properties. If you think they are the same try touching a cast iron pan 10 minutes after you just cooked with it (not responsible for any burns suffered during this experement) then try touching a 18-10 grade stainless steel pan 10 minutes after cooking. Better yet just take the temp with a thermometer. 18-10 grad is the steel quality used for most restaurant quality pots pans etc even teflon coated pots and pans.

Cast Iron stays hot for a long time which is good for searing meat, or creating a good crust on cornbread. When you place a cold steak into a pan some of the heat in the pan is lost. The more heat you can keep the better your sear will be. Atleast that's what Alton Brown says and I have found this to be true with my experiences.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Gotta love Cast Iron. Can be a pain to maintain but keeps food hot and cooks evenly. I season mine on the BBQ grill. Just finish cooking, add some more coals and load the grill with as much Cast iron as it will hold. Put the lid on and retrieve them the next day when everything cools off. My wife bought me so much cast iron that I had to beef up the cabinet. They even make Cast Iron Wok's. Its a bear to heat but makes great stir fry and has a large enough surface area to make enough Chicken and Dumplings for 8!

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Teflon and other pans can not hold a candle to cast iron. We have started changing out our other pans as teflon and such will peal and can not be cleaned in a satisfactory manner. Cast iron does a much better job.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Jeff,go to your local tractor dealer and tell them you need a disc WITHOUT a hole in it.Weld 2 horseshoes for handles and you have the best wok youll ever use.If its a 24" disc it feeds everybody!

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Baking cornbread is the least demanding of all possible uses for a baking pan or skillet. The pan or skillet doesn't really need to retain heat. All it needs is a reasonably good non-stick surface. Cast iron's non-stick properties come from seasoning with grease, which is carbonized by baking. Carbon is indeed a good non-stick surface, but is very delicate. Soap ruins it, acidic foods ruin it, and too much heat ruins it too. The seasoned grease can also turn rancid after a few week's storage, and care must be taken to gently pre-heat the skillet until most of the rancid odor is gone.

Heat retention is the most desirable thing about iron pots and skillets. An aluminum, stainless, or composite skillet of equal mass retains heat just about as well as iron.

Having said that, I usually do use an iron skillet for my cornbread. It's a family tradition, and that's reason enough for me. ;\)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Tom G. Great idea! And it would work great on the grill or a campfire!

Last edited by Jeff Walker; 06/27/08 01:36 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just know that the disc that you get from TSC is going to be a high carbon steel; if will be a far cry from cast iron.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker
Tom G. Great idea! And it would work great on the grill or a campfire!

Disc wok..
Deer-Camp tradition for fajitas in the evening and egg/bacon/potato burritos for breakfast....
Not top be confused with cast iron skillet....

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I am the proud owner of two woks make from disc. One has legs welded on it to use over a wood fire. The other is used on a out door propane burner. I also have a cast iron wok. They all cook great. I also have 8 dutch ovens. If you want to cure your cast iron, wipe it with cooking oil and bake it in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees. Deep frying fish is another good way.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I used to enjoy being the cook when we hunted the Rocky Mountains. All of my stuff was cast iron from Lodge. OK, the coffee pot was something else. My biggest problem was the altitude and trying to keep an even heat for my Dutch ovens. While others set up tents and worked with the horses, I was burying my ovens and hunting for wood.

No nostalgia intended. The Cook has to get his butt out of bed earlier than anyone else. Dang, it can get cold up on top.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
OK, this must be a TX thing because I have never heard of it. But that being said I think I will go to TSC this weekend and price a disc. Sounds like it works great. My wok is Cast Iron but I bought it in Italy while in the military and carted it around with me. The movers weren't to happy as it weighs about 30 lbs. Between that, my cast iron pans, and my Cast iron Muffin pan, my kitchen boxes got pretty heavy LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...