Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Sometimes the word "LAKE" is before the name and sometimes it's after the name.

Lake Whitney
Lake Ray Hubbard
Lake Palestine

VS.

Caddo Lake
Eagle Mountain Lake
White Rock Lake

When should the word "LAKE" follow the name or precede the name?

When is a body of water considered a lake and when is it considered a pond?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Usually anything bigger than five acres is considered a lake. I don't know when it goes from being a lake to a large reservoir.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
mine = lake
yours = pond
-
-
if you can get Bruce's arms into the pic, your pond will become a lake

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I checked this out on the internet a few months ago and it said that a lake has a shoreline that has wave action. Ponds do not.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: james holt
Usually anything bigger than five acres is considered a lake. I don't know when it goes from being a lake to a large reservoir.

Never, the Great Lakes are not the Great Reservoirs. Reservoirs are usually only bodies of water that exist because of a dam, without the dam there is no body of water.

Right now my body of water qualifies as a "mud hole"

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If it's mine, it's a lake. If it's yours, it's a pond.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Lake Vilbig - Al Kohutek
Sometimes the word "LAKE" is before the name and sometimes it's after the name.

Lake Whitney
Lake Ray Hubbard
Lake Palestine

VS.

Caddo Lake
Eagle Mountain Lake
White Rock Lake

When should the word "LAKE" follow the name or precede the name?

I keep trying and failing to come up with a rule that will define that particular nomencature difference.

Here's my best effort thus far:
LAKE comes first if the lake is named after something/someone (Lake Michigan, Lake Ray Hubbard, Lake Powell)
LAKE comes last if the name describes a characteristic/component of the lake (Goose Lake, Crater Lake, Veronica Lake)

Nahh, that's not any good, either.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 06/10/08 10:34 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dallas Moprning News
Ray Sasser - Ourdoors

Lake names all over the map

Labels on Texas reservoirs are political, lyrical and sometimes obscure

10:41 PM CDT on Saturday, June 7, 2008

Baby Boomers might recall the old Vietnam protest idea – what if Congress declared war and nobody came? What if Congress changed the name of a lake and nobody noticed? That seems to have happened near Commerce where the lake that opened as Cooper in 1994 was changed to Jim Chapman Lake in 1998.

Chapman is a retired congressman from nearby Sulphur Springs. Lakes all over Texas are named for national, state and local politicians. Sam Rayburn Reservoir, for instance, was originally tabbed McGee Bend Dam, for a bend in the Angelina River where the dam was located.

Not sure who McGee was, but he was probably a local politician. McGee's importance was trumped by the death of former House Speaker Sam Rayburn. In Central Texas, we've got Lake LBJ, named for a Texas politician who rose even higher than speaker of the house.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was both commander of the Allied forces in World War II and president, yet the Denison native never got a lake named for him – only a state park on Lake Texoma.

And speaking of Lake Texoma, its name is obviously a derivative of the states it separates. One wonders about negotiations between Texas and equally proud Oklahoma and why the lake wasn't named Oklatex? Maybe Oklahoma agreed to second billing in exchange for claiming the entire Red River channel as Oklahoma domain. Most boundary rivers are more or less equally divvyed up.

Texas lakes are frequently named for their location. Lake Grapevine, Lake Benbrook or Lake Arlington, for instance. Lewisville Lake sounds simple enough but it may have the most complicated background of all.

In the 1920s, Lake Dallas was built as a water supply lake near the village of Garza. The dam was named Garza Dam. As water needs grew, along with the need for flood control, the lake was expanded in 1955 with the construction of a new Corps of Engineers dam.

The new, bigger lake was first dubbed Garza-Little Elm, the Little Elm for the Elm Fork of the Trinity River. When the community of Garza decided to rename itself as the City of Lake Dallas, the whole thing got so confusing that the lake was eventually designated Lewisville Lake.

There are some great names for Texas lakes. Lake Casa Blanca, near Laredo, probably wasn't named for a Bogart movie or a ceiling fan. The Spanish name translates to white house, and there was probably an adobe hacienda nearby.

Amistad is another Spanish name, aptly so for a lake between the United States and Mexico on the Rio Grande. Amistad translates to friendship, though the modern version of China's great wall that's going up between the two countries would seem to indicate that things aren't quite as friendly as they once were. Besides, anyone who's fished at Amistad, a wide-open canyon lake, would swear the name translates to "Windy" instead of friendship.

My favorite lake name is Possum Kingdom, which is supposedly the name of a particular bend in the Brazos River. Local legend says a fur trader from Mineral Wells referred to the early trappers of northwest Palo Pinto County as "the boys of Possum Kingdom" and the whimsical name stuck.

Cooper Lake was a good enough name for a lake near the town of Cooper. It's home to one of Texas' best developed state parks, Cooper Lake State Park. The lake is still called Cooper Lake on every map that I've seen and all the TXDOT signs point the way to Cooper Lake. What is Texas Parks and Wildlife supposed to do, rename the park Cooper Lake SP at Jim Chapman Lake?

The Corps of Engineers, being a federal agency, seems to be the only ones taking this name change seriously and even the feds are wishy-washy, at least on their official headquarters sign. It says "Cooper Dam and" in big letters, followed by "Jim Chapman Lake" in smaller letters.

A friend who's fed up with politics anyway insists that an existing lake should never be renamed for a politician. If they want to change the name of something, it's the dam name that should change. Thus, the name could be Dam Jim Chapman or Dam LBJ, etc.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I located a test to determine whether or not you have a lake or a pond. This is on the internet so it must be true.

Lake verus Pond Test

My 3 acre body of water was named "Hidden Lake" by the locals a long time ago. It is at the end of a small valley and hidden from view which I'm guessing is where the name came from. We named our property Hidden Lake Ranch because Hidden Pond Ranch sounded kinda dumb but would have probably been a more accurate description.

This is from a New Hampshire web site:

The term "lake" or "pond" as part of a waterbody name is arbitrary and not based on any specific naming convention. In general, lakes tend to be larger and/or deeper than ponds, but numerous examples exist of "ponds" that are larger and deeper than "lakes." For example, Echo "Lake" in Conway is 14 acres in surface area with a maximum depth of 11 feet, while Island "Pond" in Derry is nearly 500 acres and 80 feet deep. Names for lakes and ponds generally originated from the early settlers living near them, and the use of the terms "lake" and "pond" was completely arbitrary. Many have changed names through the years, often changing from a pond to a lake with no change in size or depth. Often these changes in name were to make the area sound more attractive to perspective home buyers. Examples of ponds that are now called lakes include Mud Pond to Mirror Lake in Canaan, Mosquito Pond to Crystal Lake in Manchester and Dishwater Pond to Mirror Lake in Tuftonboro.

Seems like they don't know either.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

We named our property Hidden Lake Ranch because Hidden Pond Ranch sounded kinda dumb...

...and Hidden Valley Ranch was already taken.
-
I see a lucrative business opportunity here, JHAP. If we can create a salad dressing named Hidden Lake Ranch, and it tasted great with, oh say, something like Elodea....catchin' my drift? The fat-free version will have the Subway Jarrods lined up at the JHAP Elo-deli like teenage girls at Sunil's last rock concert. This will surely open the door to marketing your patented Cowboy chip-dip, not to mention soaring toothbrush sales.
You, my friend, are on the cusp of capitalistic greatness.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I was always told that a lake was a body of water supplyed by another water source such as a creek. A pond is something formed to catch runoff.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
I see a lucrative business opportunity here, JHAP. If we can create a salad dressing named Hidden Lake Ranch, and it tasted great with, oh say, something like Elodea....catchin' my drift? The fat-free version will have the Subway Jarrods lined up at the JHAP Elo-deli like teenage girls at Sunil's last rock concert. This will surely open the door to marketing your patented Cowboy chip-dip, not to mention soaring toothbrush sales.
You, my friend, are on the cusp of capitalistic greatness.

I've been trying Bski. I've been pushing Elodea as a heath food for a couple of years. I even bribed paid a consulting fee to government officials to change the food pyramid.

No luck so far.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: calvin tynes
I was always told that a lake was a body of water supplyed by another water source such as a creek. A pond is something formed to catch runoff.

I like that definition. My pond is fed by South Moco Creek. Ha, I have a Lake!!!!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I like that definition. My pond is fed by South Moco Creek. Ha, I have a Lake!!!![/quote]

Well Jeff, if it has a dam, then you have a resevoir. \:\)

Here is my understanding...

Lake - occur naturally
Resevoir - man-made lake
Pond - body of water less than five acres

I may be wrong, it happens from time to time. \:\)

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hidden Reservoir Ranch? Sounds too hoidy toidy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Hidden Reservoir Ranch? Sounds too hoidy toidy.

...also sends the wrong subliminal message when marketing your new Elodea dressing. Picture this: I'm reaching to grab my squeeze-bottle of Hidden Reservoir Ranch dressing for my tossed Elodea cobb salad, and all I can think of is my G-I tract.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
In my part of East Texas, the realtors label any body of water that's an acre or more, a lake. Since I will one day sell my place, I named my 4 acre body of water Lake Marabou.

I've also been told that only god an make a lake. I've never figured out when a pond becomes a lake, even if it's natural.

Mostly we just call Lake Marabou the Big Pond and our 3/4 acre pond the Small Pond.

If it's yours, you can call it anything you want. It doesn't matter what anybody else says.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
If it's yours, you can call it anything you want. It doesn't matter what anybody else says.

Amen.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images