Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,809
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, TLL, FishinRod, DrewSh, New Guy, catscratch), 1,157 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
On average, how many times do bluegill spawn each year, starting in Canada in the north and going to the deep south?

For example, is it once in the north and five times in the south? And then what is the approximate change in the various areas as we go south?

With this information, all of us can get an idea of what to expect in our area.

Norm Kopecky
R
R
Norm, I'm from SW Ontario, Canada ( a few miles north of Lake Erie) and I believe my BG spawn at least 1-2 times during the season if the right conditions are met. Early season warm weather to warm the shallow water early June and thus a later September spawn again. I noticed small BG along the shoreline the other day in the 1" range with the lake mostly still covered with ice. These small BG I believe are late spawned and most likely a second spawn with warm fall water temps. I hope this helps.

Rowly

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Norm -- darn good question, and I hope we get some answers from a bunch of pondmeisters!

I can't give you definitive answers right now. We're looking at this in both southeastern SD and the NE Sandhills right now. I can tell you that we are getting at least two spawns in some waters at both locations. I can't see any evidence yet of three spawns, but I can't exclude that possibility either. I have seen at least one lake in NE where I think we got a single primary spawn, at least in one year.

Lots to learn about bluegills still!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I agree with Dr Dave and think there is one primary spawn for northern bgill. I think some of the late season spawns in the northern states are from late maturing females and not a second "full" spawn for that female. For twice spawning fish in the "north", I think some females may not lay all eggs at first spawn and some or a percentage are laid later in the season. I have no proof of any of this just my thoughts and observations. I will be very interested to see the real scientific evidence on this topic for, esp northern bgill. Results will probably be VARIABLE. I do believe in two or three spawns for bgill that live exposed to long growing seasons.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
when looking at low bass adundant ponds in GA I can see at least 4 bluegill spawns if shocked/seined in early November. THe bluegill will vary from 1/4 inch to 3 inches. Many times however you do not see the earlier spawns b/c they are gobbled up by a bass heavy environment before getting to intermediate size. Good question. I will pay closer attention this year and report back if I find diff answers.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Norm here are my observations and experiences about bluegill [BG] spawning in central Miss. BG spawning appears to be a process that begins around the full moon in March { after water temp gets around 60} and goes through Sept. I do not think they all spawn at the same time. For example I do not think they all spawn 5 times on the full moon March through July. Most seem to spawn on the 3 days around the full moon , but some spawn around the new moon. My guess is 80% on the full moon 20% on the new moon. Some seem to start later May vs. March . It seems to be a process that starts in March {with a few BG} and hits its highth in late May to early June { depending on the nearest full moon} stays strong through July and tapers off through Sept. I think based on my observations and info from others that most BG in this area spawn 5 times a year. We often { 50% of the time }have a late BG and LMB spawn in Sept. in our lakes but that is not the case in most lakes in this area. Our water temps average 6 degrees lower due to cold under water springs. In early Oct. the lakes will have YOY BG ranging from 1/4 inch to 3 inches with all sizes in between, based on observation and seine surveys. I checked this report against my notes over the last 8 years and with others in my area and they all yield the same results. I hope this helps and would be interested in others thoughts. We need to know as much as possible about our major forage species.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thougt I would bump this post from 9 mths. ago to see if we could get a few more data points for Dr. Dave's research. If you have any info please add it to this post. Thanks in advance for any help. ewest

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
looking at data collected I'm confidnet most ponds in GA have 4 spawns but I would bet money my south GA ponds have 5/yr.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Judging by the size structure of bluegill collected from my ponds in October each year, I'd say that I almost always see at least two distinct sizes. Whether this means two spawns or a rolling spawn is a matter of conjecture.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hi Bruce. When I was working on gizzard shad in KS, the two "modes" of late summer gizzard shad came from a rolling spawn. The first spawned fish sort of got a "jump," and it continued through the year. What started as a continuous length group of June and July shad often pulled apart into two length groups by August or September. So, it's at least possible for a rolling spawn to create what appears to be two distinct groups of fish.

Whether this applies to bluegills, who knows. I'll know more after another year or two of larval trawling. :-)

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
As noted by Greg some studies show that based on predation dynamics it is not unususl for a particulsr spawn (sometimes the first of the year or earliest spawned BG fry or sometimes a later spawn)to be almost entirely consumed. As a result you may see 2 clear sizes of yoy BG , even if there were 3 spawns. This could also occur if there were 1 extended spawn and the hatchlings in the mid-time spawn period were the unlucky ones to hatch and swim up during the max. predator feeding point for that size prey. What you observe is important even if it does not clearly answer the question as it adds data.

More info from others would help. Even if you are not sure ,it would still help to know what you observed , even if no conclusions can be drawn.

Dave you posted while I was writing but I note between early fast growers ( which are often noted in BG studies) and mid-term yoy BG being consumed you could easily have one rolling spawn with 2 or 3 size BG yoy by fall.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll bet that in the entire history of the internet, message boards, forums, etc, there have been few, if any mentions of the benefits of "a year or two of larval trawling". \:D \:D \:D

For some reason that really struck my funny bone. \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yes Bruce, and we all know why.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bruce and/or Dave; what is a rolling spawn?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think if Dave and I and Theo are on the same wavelength, a rolling spawn could be described as a situation whereby fish completing their spawn and leaving the nesting ground are replaced by fish that are just beginning to spawn either because of late readiness or late maturity. The spawn never really ends because there are always at least a couple of active male nests. It's maybe even conceivable that certain individuals may participate more than once during a spring/summer "rolling spawn". If the spawns are clearly distinct from one another, then the spawning ground would be completely abandoned for a period of time.

Probably in it's truest sense, many fish participate in rolling spawns (for short time frames), but as we're trying to describe it here
it may include a period of time that encompasses possibly as long as a few months.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
DD, the term comes from Bluegill breeding article

"A Rolling Spawn gathers no mas" ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DD :

Here is the link where the discussion started. It is a very interesting thread.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002198

A rolling spawn in BG is where an adult BG spawns only once each year but where the entire BG spawn occurs over an extended time period say 2 mths. Dave is studying if that is what occurs in far north ponds rather than the multi-spawn (adult BG each spawning several times a year on distinct times like full moons in may,june etc.)that have been observed in the deep south. If I did not describe that correctly then please correct me. ewest

PS : DD I always knew you were special -- you got 3 replys to your question in 4 mins. even if they are not all exactly the same. \:D Good one Theo \:\) .

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, Theo is smoking organic fertilizer again.

Honestly, I have always figure that in warmer climes, BG were always moving on and off the nest. I expect them to go to a nest that is "still warm". It already has a start. If Greg is right about his suspicion of 5 spawns in the deepest South, spawning would seem to be an everlasting exercise.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DD :

If you had seen 98% of your brothers/sisters /cousins/cohorts eaten and you were only going to live 6 years +- you would be on the beds all summer also. No time to waste!!! \:D \:D ;\)

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I seem to see on my personal pond bluegill on bed more than off. I should know this (maybe I just forgot it) but how long are they on beds?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Greg :

If you are asking the following ; How long does it take for a male BG to complete one spawn , from when it starts clearing a nest until it leaves after the fry swim up (leave the nest) then I have a guess . I have not seen a direct answer to that, but am adding bits and pieces from several sources and then making a guess. I think 10 days +-. There is variation based on temp. and water condition at least. Info showes 3-5 days for eggs to hatch and 3-5 days for swim up after hatching , I added a day for male to prepare bed and attract one or more females and averaged. There can be more than one set of eggs (more than one female depositing ) in a nest and if placed and fertilized at different times then I guess that would make a difference on the time. I will keep looking for a direct answer and note the location and source. ewest

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eric, it would appear that more than one female depositing eggs would contribute to the "rolling spawn" theory.

This must play real havoc with the male BG's body condition. Sort of like a buck during the rut.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Posted earlier by Bruce: "I'll bet that in the entire history of the internet, message boards, forums, etc, there have been few, if any mentions of the benefits of "a year or two of larval trawling"."

Glad to provide entertainment. Unfortunately, it doesn't say much for my comedic skills when I'm only funny when I'm not attempting humor. ;\)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
It's that crazy subconscious of yours being funny to spite you, Dr. Dave. :p

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DD :

Outstanding point DD \:\) . I did not think about that in the context of the rolling spawn. I have seen very little written on female BG behavior wrt spawning . I have read that there are attraction methods use by the males (swimming ,color , grunts and chemical) but don't know if all the females move up to spawn in short order, but any delay would extend the males work load (time on the nest). ewest

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 04:36 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?