Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#121086 06/05/08 09:35 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Some of you may have seen other posts I've made about the blind horse that regularly visits us. Well, for about the last six months, six of his buddies have been coming with him. They visit several times a week. When my wife got home tonight, her car was surrounded by six of the horses. The seventh was licking our air conditioner.

They all seem to be nice critters. But, they have destroyed my asparagus patch, my rhubarb, my blueberries, and my raspberries.
They've trampled and eaten our flower garden. The have started to really mess up one edge of my pond. They leave us lots of big lumpy presents. Especially during non-daylight savings time, I've come close to running into several of them when they stand in the middle of the road or in my driveway on my long race to work, or on my long race home to my pond.

On the Saturday night before Mothers Day, the blind horse really scared my wife's very elderly aunt who is legally blind and quite deaf. She was standing in my driveway when the blind horse wanted to make friends with her -- the aunt is a long-time city girl who was certain it was a wild critter who wanted her for dinner. Quite a scene!

My wife or I call the sheriff every time the horses are on the county road. I'm on a first name basis with the animal control warden, who I call frequently when they are in my yard eating and leaving presents. When I call either, the owner hears about it on her scanner and comes and gets the horses before the animal warden or deputies arrive. She refuses to speak to me.

The sheriff and animal control warden have both told me to file a civil suit. That will cost me money and time. I hold no grudges or vindictiveness. The animal control warden told me tonight to detain one of the horses, and he'll come pick it up. She will be charged, but the fine is only $10, plus $180 court costs. I'd have to take a day off from work for both incidents.

Her fences are 60 years old. We share about 1200 feet of common property line. The neighbors tell me it was much worse 40 years ago when the family raised hogs.

As I mentioned above, she refuses to speak to me. Tonight when she came and got her seven horses, she kept her back to me and would not acknowledge me.

I don't want to hurt the horses. I don't feel this should cost me lots of unpaid time from work plus a lawyer. I just want her to fix her fences or get rid of the horses. She also has countless dogs and cats, but that too is another story.

I'm getting a fence around many of my berry plants and garden, but I'm afraid one of the horses will fall into one of the post holes which don't yet have fence posts.

Dear Abby and PBers -- do you have any legal and practical suggestions?

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Hey Cat, I feel your pain. I'm afraid your choices won't be pleasant. Filing a civil suit may be what it takes to make these people more responsible. I guess another choice is offer to help repair the fence. I don't know of any good horse deterrents.( I don't think they are scared of owls.) I know they don't like electric fences, maybe that could be an option. Wish I had better option for you.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
heybud #121110 06/06/08 07:31 AM
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Could try a paintball gun. It won't hurt the horse too bad and the owner might get tired of washing the paint off. Works good for roaming dogs too. Especially for roaming house dogs. Paint gets on the furniture!!

I subscribe!
heybud #121111 06/06/08 07:33 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow Ken I feel for ya too. And I thought herons were bad. At least I can shoot them with a federal permit.

It simply amazes me how stupid and selfish some people are in this world.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

heybud #121112 06/06/08 07:37 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Cat, here one would make a stink with the township trustees about the bad fence and livestock incursions. After you made their lives misrable, they would have fence erected and charge the party with the livestock via property tax add-on for their 1/2 (or maybe all - it's a grayer area I am not completely up on) of the fence.

NOTE: Ohio fence law states that you are responsible for 1/2 of the line fence with each neighbor - the 1/2 on the right side as you look towards the neighbor. In general, non-livestock owners can't be charged to/for maintianing their half of the fence. YMMV.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Catamado, talk to the neighbor first, let her know that you basically have two options to keep her horses from continuing to damage your property. 1. Help her fix the fence, or 2. File a civil suit. I would also take pictures of her horses on your property and the damage the have done just in case you have to go with option #2. To me it seems like spending a day or two on the weekend helping fix fence would be the most cost effective and preferable way to settle this.

Shorty #121122 06/06/08 09:33 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I like Shorty's advice. Give her one last chance. If she won't answer the phone then the next time the horses are on your property detain them (horse prison?) until she will speak to you face to face.

I'll leave any legal advice to our resident attorney. Speaking of which where is Ewest lately?

If you have to then I would put up a T bar & barbed wire fence combo. Realtively cheap and that should keep horses out. Perhaps the neighbor doesn't have the financial resources to build or repair the fence. It's not fair that the expense falls completely on you but life ain't always fair.

I can completely relate Catmandoo. I have two adjacent neighbors that own horses. They use to ride on my property all of the time. One even CUT one of my fences in order to ride around my pond. The horse poo was all over the place and the horses walking on the soft pond-side dirt caused ankle breaking holes all over. Pain in the hiney.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Shorty #121124 06/06/08 10:17 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
... I would also take pictures of her horses on your property and the damage the have done just in case you have to go with option #2....

Good point. Take pictures of the horses when they are on your property too. Make notes. Documentation always helps.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I can completely relate Catmandoo. I have two adjacent neighbors that own horses. They use to ride on my property all of the time. One even CUT one of my fences in order to ride around my pond. The horse poo was all over the place and the horses walking on the soft pond-side dirt caused ankle breaking holes all over. Pain in the hiney.

We've had all that happen here on separate instances, although I must admit that "horse poo was all over the place" is not something I'd often complain about or even notice.

Slobs come in all factions - slob hunters, slob fishermen, slob horse people.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
We've had all that happen here on separate instances, although I must admit that "horse poo was all over the place" is not something I'd often complain about or even notice.

You would if you were barefoot at the time.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If you can get this horse doo to squezze up between your toes it will kill germs and bacteria. I do not believe it will help with my spelling.

paul weatherholt
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
My brother had a similar problem with a neighbors horse always getting out and coming through the woods to visit his horses. He would call the guy up and it would take him 2-3 days to come get the horse. Of course, he never bothered to offer to pay my brother for the feed the horse ate. It finally got to the point that he put the horse in his barn and started tallying up boarding fees after notifying the horse owner. Then he refused to turn the horse over until the guy paid for boarding fees. After about 2 weeks the guy offered to sell the horse to my brother. If you saw the condition the horse was in and the medical attention it needed you would understand the stance my brother took. Eventually my brother offered to help find a new buyer for the horse, and called the debt even. Sure it cost him a few bucks but it helped the horse and put an end to the problem.

Last edited by Jeff Walker; 06/06/08 11:57 AM.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
How about a horse BBQ, can you imagine the size of those ribs. MMMMMMMMM!

fishtech #121148 06/06/08 12:59 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Are the horses otherwise well cared for? If they show signs of neglect the local animal protection may step in. Sounds like they may be well fed after visiting though.

deaner #121156 06/06/08 02:58 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: deaner
If you can get this horse doo to squezze up between your toes it will kill germs and bacteria. I do not believe it will help with my spelling.

deaner...you nut!
Call me crazy, but I think you just wandered onto the dark side! Whoa!
(either that, or you've been reading JHAP's book on homeopathic medicine and cures. Don't try the cowboy chip dip; he's just trying to sell toothbrushes)
-
-

Brettski #121157 06/06/08 03:14 PM
Lunker
Lunker
19th century German steel and arms magnate Alfred Krupp believed that horse manure had healing properties and constructed a $4 million mansion where the stables were located underneath the master bedroom complex, with ventilating shafts allowing the "healthful vapors" to waft upward into his bedroom. The windows in the master bedroom did not open.

-S. M. Stirling
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
19th century German steel and arms magnate Alfred Krupp believed that horse manure had healing properties and constructed a $4 million mansion where the stables were located underneath the master bedroom complex, with ventilating shafts allowing the "healthful vapors" to waft upward into his bedroom. The windows in the master bedroom did not open.

OK, I give up. How did you know this?

RobA #121165 06/06/08 05:46 PM
Lunker
Lunker
The Arms of Krupp

I read it once, about 15-20 years ago.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow. Thanks for all the answers.

It has been a very long day so far, but the problem is now mostly solved. Using Theo's technique of really being a PITA (Pain In The A..) to the sheriff and animal warden for the past several weeks, finally paid off.

It turns out that of the seven horses, four belong to somebody I know who lives down the road about a mile. The neighbor who owns four of the horses had no idea the problem was so bad.

There was absolutely no fence for about 1000 feet of common property line between the property owner and us. The horses knew this, but none of the horse owners did!

The land owner called the 4-horse owner last night after calls from the animal warden and the sheriff, after several calls from me and my wife. They were told that the horses would be taken if they could not be controlled. The 4-horse owner and her husband quickly got involved. This morning about 10:00 AM I heard hammering up in the woods. The lady was up there by herself stretching barbed wire. Her husband was out of town on business, but was on his way back. To make a long story short, we used my tractor to bring up more fence posts, wire, tools, etc. Her husband came home, and with more supplies, the three of us fenced two sides of 60 acres today.

Unfortunately, about 500 feet of the fence is about 30 feet onto my property. She started that before I saw her up there. She hesitantly offered to take it down. It is about 90 degrees with 100% humidity today. I didn't have the heart to tell her she had to move it. But, this I can deal with this through my lawyer and by being vigilant about keeping my properly lines well marked. I've been through this before.

For anyone who may face this in the future, I too subscribe to the pestering factor.

Thanks for all the good answers -- well, thanks for some of the others too. It is good that it is so hot and humid right now, otherwise I'd be like Alfred Krupp. There are lots of piles outside our bedroom window.

Ken

Lunker
Lunker
Tomorrow morning, Cat, reward yourself with the breakfast of grumpy champions:

-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great story Ken. I'm glad that you managed not only to work out the horse control situation but it seems as though you preserved a friendly neighbor relationship. Great job.

Theo, what the heck are those?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Bski, what do you have against my patented Cowboy Chip Dip???

Sunil loves it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Theo, what the heck are those?

PITA bread!

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Brettski can not help himself as he is from Illinoisand is still there in that climate. I broke away from Illinois and I am so thankful in looking back at the way I could of turned out, the Lord helps them that help themselves. Brettski you will have my prayers. just kiddin

paul weatherholt
deaner #121228 06/07/08 02:21 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
\:D \:D
(I WILL take the prayers, thank you very much)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tomorrow morning, Cat, reward yourself with the breakfast of grumpy champions:

Oh man! I was so busy yesterday, I missed it. But, I always struggle with what to have for breakfast -- now I know. This morning before I go to church I better find some. I may just have to try some of the Cowboy Chip Dip too. I'm sure that would enhance the PITA effect.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
PITA bread!

Oh, DUH. Jeez was I slow yesterday or what.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
dang yankees and your crazy breads

Lunker
Lunker
Just file them all under "not grits" ;\)

-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Lunker
or cornbread

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Truth be told, no breakfast is complete without grits. They kind of tie everything together, like plaster.

Unfortunately, it's hard to get a good grit around Pittsburgh. Waffle House is about the only place I know, and we have so few of them in W. PA. Sad, so sad.

On a better note, I was at Put-In Bay in Ohio this weekend. I had lots of perch and walleye.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #121324 06/08/08 08:38 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Hard to get good grits up North period. I wish that was different, and have to settle for fried mush.

-S. M. Stirling
Sunil #121326 06/08/08 08:52 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

Unfortunately, it's hard to get a good grit around Pittsburgh.

Originally Posted By: WikiPedia
An oxymoron (plural oxymorons or, more rarely, oxymora) is a figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms. Oxymoron is a loanword from Greek oxy ("sharp" or "pointed") and moros ("dull"). Thus the word oxymoron is, by definition, an oxymoron.

I hope this doesn't re-ignite the war between the North and the South. But, for those of us who grew up in the north -- "good grits" truly fits the term "oxymoron."

Where I come from, an unsuspecting spoonful of grits would quickly result in a big gulp and the term "UFFDA" -- or worse.

Where I live now, my friends just keep adding butter, salt, and sugar until the grits are a significant minority of the ingredients. Then they declare it "good."

I was about 22 years old before I came across grits. I thought it was Cream-of-Wheat. Silly me.

Lunker
Lunker
Cat, I will defend to the death your right to dislike grits. I will also eat your portion of them at any meals in Arlington next month.

P.S. I grew up in Ohio. Sometimes that is called UP south.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 06/08/08 09:26 PM. Reason: Geographic clarification

-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Lunker
grits,cheese,salt, pepper...that is all.

Lunker
Lunker
Butter and salt.

IIRC my wife eats them with ketchup.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yes, butter & salt only.

cat, Theo and I are going to have breakfast with you every day in Arlington.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #121349 06/09/08 07:30 AM
Lunker
Lunker
If you guys won't eat your grits, I won't have to order anything at all. \:\)

Except DMD.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Interesting thing I heard about DMD this weekend.

I can't say for sure if this is true, but maybe someone can verify this.

Remember the old saying that "Ethyl is your friend, but Methyl will kill you?"

When the body breaks down DMD, one of the by-products is Methyl. So if you drink a lot of DMD, you are subjecting yourself to Methyl on a regular basis.

Again, I just heard this and have no idea if it is true.

Sunil #121355 06/09/08 07:53 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Surely this is untrue, or else I am posting from the great beyond.

-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
How do we know that you are not?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
You don't. \:o
(eery theremin music)

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
atta boy, Luther

Brettski #121390 06/09/08 11:08 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Diet
Mountain
Dew?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is this a great site, or what?

Where else could a discussion about fences go from the health effects of manure to the health effects of DMD, to posting from the afterlife?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Is this a great site, or what?

Where else could a discussion about fences go from the health effects of manure to the health effects of DMD, to posting from the afterlife?

you took the words right out of my fingers.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Grits are what people eat because they don't have 'real' sweet corn! Nothing else to do with regular corn but try to hide the taste behind some butter and salt and call it breakfast. ;\)

ceadmin #121453 06/10/08 05:48 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My only semi-regular exposure to grits is Cracker Barrel breakfast. Then, it's butter + sugar. Good stuff.

Brettski #121454 06/10/08 06:22 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I was raised on grits; liberally covered with bacon grease or some other artery clogger. Who knew? I still like them but now limit the topping to margerine. And then, I top the whole works off with my cholesterol busting med Lipitor.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I was raised on grits; liberally covered with bacon grease or some other artery clogger. Who knew? I still like them but now limit the topping to margerine. And then, I top the whole works off with my cholesterol busting med Lipitor.

Dave, you missed the Great Depression by a few years but your parents knew how to "stretch" a meal...!
My mother could feed a family of five kids with grits and cornmeal mush. I would kill for a plate of fried mush for breakfast this morning.

Of course the fancy smansy folks call it "polenta" today...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

ceadmin #121464 06/10/08 08:17 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: ceadmin
Grits are what people eat because they don't have 'real' sweet corn! Nothing else to do with regular corn but try to hide the taste behind some butter and salt and call it breakfast. ;\)

Man you just offended about 25 % of the Country and most of this Forum. I thought everyone knew Grits are the breakfast of champions. \:D ;\)

ceadmin #121485 06/10/08 10:32 AM
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ceadmin

Grits, and mush, and Grandma Gallus' corn cakes are all made with ole yellow field corn. And all good with butter and salt.

-S. M. Stirling
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Butter & salt. Or Fry it up, butter it and add a healthy dose of "Karo" syrup. Sigh, now I know what I was craving all weekend, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sometimes a couple of eggs over easy on top break the monotony.
No suger for me. Butter, salt. Same with cornbread. No Jiffy, Marie Callenders or any other 'cakelike' cornbread.
This 'sweet corn on the cob' in the groceries is too overbearingly sweet for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...