Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver, Dux96, cgmbny
18,523 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,003
Posts558,400
Members18,524
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,594
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Boondoggle, Lenox), 678 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've got about 45 2 to 3 lb. smallmouth temporarily in a 1/10th acre holding pond right now. Three ponds this size in the back acre with one airline going to each pond from a 1/3 hp. rotary vane compression. This really makes the water roll in each pond with a membrane diffuser at the terminal end.

I know that many fish in a pond that size is stressful enough, but they have been acting really weird, as in going up into shallow water with their noses pointed towards the banks, or in large groups huddled together as if they are cold or something. And feeding is sparadic on pellets, and they had no interest in red wigglers dropped in front of them this morning. Clearly stressed. One fish is even discolored and I've had about three morts in a week.

Well I turned off the diffusion to that pond today, and they seem to have stopped the weird behavior somewhat(my fingers are crossed), and I now see bluegills up high roaming around in the sunlight, which is what I normally see bluegills do in this pond this time of year as the water warms.

If the diffusion was stressing them does anyone have any idea why?

My thinking are the following possibilites:

1.) To rapid of turnover of the water was keeping any surface warming minimal, and they needed temps to rise for feeding and spawning? This may in fact have delayed the females, and could be causing them to be eggbound, as things this year are late. (It's been an abnormally cold spring up here).

2.) Supersaturation of nitrogen gas with that many bubbles in such a small pond?

Thoughts anyone?

Yeah, I know, there is an aeration category but I was afraid no one would notice this post. And I don't consider diffusion actually aeration anyway. I consider diffusers more of a turnover mechanism vs. aeration.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/28/08 02:49 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
Cecil:

Your number 1 hypothesis is the right one. The only way to know if the pond is supersaturated is to see what the O2 levels are. at 50 degrees, the 02 should be a staturation of 11.3 mg/l, at 60 10. mg/l, at 68 9.1 mg/l and 72 8.7 mg/l.

We have the same happening with a carp pay fish pond here. The client contiues to run stream water through the pond, the diffusers circulate it and keep the temps at 61-65 degrees. This makes it so the fish do not bite and just like you they are not visible.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'll check D.O. levels with my D.O. meter but I haven't had time to change the membrane and calibrate it.

So oxygen supersaturation levels are nearly as bad or as bad as nitrogen supersaturation levels? Since there is more nitrogen in air than oxygen, couldn't one have supersaturated nitrogen levels?

I had a fish farmer tell me you can "burn fish up" if you have too much pure oxygen in the hauling tank. I had another tell me although that is not good, it's not that bad either, and not nearly as bad as supersaturate nitrogen gas.

Thanks for the response btw.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cary Martin
Cecil:

Your number 1 hypothesis is the right one. The only way to know if the pond is supersaturated is to see what the O2 levels are. at 50 degrees, the 02 should be a staturation of 11.3 mg/l, at 60 10. mg/l, at 68 9.1 mg/l and 72 8.7 mg/l.

We have the same happening with a carp pay fish pond here. The client contiues to run stream water through the pond, the diffusers circulate it and keep the temps at 61-65 degrees. This makes it so the fish do not bite and just like you they are not visible.

Why carp? Seems it more suited to trout! At least this time of year.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/28/08 03:30 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You know Cary if the fish would just talk to us, but they won't say a word!

At least my wife says, "nothing" with a pouty look when I ask her what's wrong!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's like night and day now that I turned off the diffuser. The fish are eating again and nailing pellets. One of these days I will be a great troubleshooter as I have done everything that can be be possibly done wrong.

I will eventually kick it back on but at a much lower rate.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
They are not still stressed from being moved into the pond are they?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, All female SMB typically do not spawn each year. I assume non-spawners absorb their eggs and a high percentage of mortality does not occur from that in natural settings. I doubt the egg bound nature of your SMB is causing the problems you were observing. I often see only one or two successful SMB nests in a local pond that has probably 30 adult SMB in it. The owner never sees dead egg bound female smallies.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have seen up to four dead egg bound females in my big front pond. At the time I had no gravel, stone, or anything like that for spawning strata.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: rexcramer
They are not still stressed from being moved into the pond are they?

I don't think so Rex. They have been in the holding pond since last fall. Of course it's not an ideal setting for them and they are probably stressed by that.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/28/08 09:45 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Did I accidentally kill my fish?
by Lenox - 05/10/24 11:48 PM
Aquamax Largemouth for Yellow Perch
by esshup - 05/10/24 11:13 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 10:24 PM
Very sandy soil
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/10/24 08:08 PM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by SetterGuy - 05/10/24 02:18 PM
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:30 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by andrew davis - 05/10/24 01:56 AM
My First
by esshup - 05/09/24 03:55 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday