Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 790 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119959 05/25/08 03:40 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I have been itching since the pond was built 3 years ago to have a small cabin sitting next to it. My pond sets approximately 1500 feet from our back door. It is across a hay field and down into a small hollow right next to the woods. There is no power back there so will probably go with propane for cooking, lights etc. The cabin will be 24 feet long. Width will be 16 ft - actual room width - 10 ft and then 6 ft wide porch. The porch is going to overhang the pond by about 4 feet. Not sure if I want to put the porch under roof. The cabin has to be this width because of the limited space next to the pond. Oh yea, cabin will be built on skid runners.
Most of the ground work (excavating) has been completed but I thought before I started I would ask you guys for opinions and suggestions. What would you like to see in a cabin like this if it was yours?

Thanks,
Willy

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Buckeye,
That is dang close to the little cabin I wanted to go after. My plan was 16'W x 20'L. Then, I tuned it way down to become more of a shed.
-
When I was planning the 16 x 20, I was going to do the roof at 12:12. The roof framing would extend out over the front porch to create both a covered porch area AND a cool sleeping loft from the inside. You can put a window in the gable of the loft and look out to the pond. Yeah baby!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
You two are making me sick, enough already. I may build a hybrid of what you are looking for, given a little time & luck. I need a cabin that size to sleep in, AC is mandatory in TX...and I want it right on the pond \:\) 24 x 16 with a deck!

p.s. I only have 3 years to finish the loan on the new property, then I will get started \:D

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: BuckeyeWilly
What would you like to see in a cabin like this if it was yours?

Me, the Mrs. and a mess of BG frying up on the propane stove.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I would want a sink for washing and cooking, even if I had to put a 5 gallon container of water on the counter next to it for years and years until I got power and water there.

Good insulation so it heats reasonably during cold weather (including hunting season) use.

Four sides of windows for airflow, since AC is out of the question.

Propane fridge???

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Sorry eastland. I'll keep you informed as I get started and look forward to when you can start yours. Maybe you can learn from my mistakes.

Theo, I've been thinking about the sink issue. I would need a way to catch the waste water so it does not find its way to the pond. Definitely windows on all sides, I agree. As far as hunting goes I can see 3 of my treestands from the pond.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Even tho we tuned down our larger cabin dream, I still constructed it with the idea of a place to sleep and hide from the elements. The short/long term plan was to provide a starting point (control center) to work from and build the garage with 2nd floor apartment. We also have no power (yet...it's available, but about 8 grand away). Enter Mr Generator.
Anyway, you have to do this with thought of leaving ALL options available later down the road. For instance....

• Like Theo said, insulate it very well. Your size structure should have 6" walls (framing cost increase is negligible)
  • I am a firm believer in unfaced insulation, then install a 6 mil plastic vapor barrier to seal the entire living side
  • Wire it like a garage or house. Include a 100 Amp panel (or go for broke on 200). Have enough conduit coming in to allow both power in and power out, or use 2 conduits. You will be able to use your cabin power panel to continue the wiring out to other electrically powered fixtures in the outside area. Remember; you will run power to the cabin someday, even if it's the genny set
  • Run your gas lines inside the walls/ceiling. PRESSURE TEST THEM...!
  • Consider a generator for the window A/C that you're gonna love when you need to take a break and eat lunch in a proper environment when it's 98 degrees. This will require either a genny on wheels or, like our plan, a small doghouse type power house about 100 feet away with an underground power feed
  • We installed a small, 7 ft wide overhead insulated garage door. It provides the option of storing something larger, should the need arise later
  • install a standing seam metal roof....period! The environment next to a pond is too humid. Asphalt shingles can become mossy, even with the zinc drip strips. The upgrade of metal is a v good investment
  • 75% of the meticulous work for exterior framing and finishing (siding, enclosed soffits, corner details, gable overhang, etc) is at each end of the structure. All the stuff in between is repetitive and moves much faster during construction and finishing. The point: don't be afraid to stretch the building length. It's the easiest and cheapest way to increase square footage

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks Brettski. Lots of great info there.

*I had built a 10 x 10 shed the first year of the pond for tools, equip. etc. It will work great to set up a generator and run some underground wiring to the cabin.

*I will get some help on running the gas lines. Not one of my areas I feel comfortable doing.

*Metal roof? Hmmmmm, I hadn't thought of that but I work for a steel company and have access to purchasing roof decking at discounted prices. Have never installed it but am sure I can get plenty of instructions from fellow workers.

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
here are a couple of pics of our cabin. 18x24 inside 10x24 porch.
When I started I had a 6' porch in the works and after looking around at other porches, 6' is to small. I made some changes on the fly to allow for a 10'. Looking back I am so glad we did it. We end up on the porch all the time, and 6' makes it tough just to walk by someone sitting on a swing. It is not on the pond but has a desent veiw. Your place will be awesome being right on the water. Think about the porch.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/brotherhayes/cabin/floor.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/brotherhayes/cabin/sideback.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/brotherhayes/cabin/backb.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/brotherhayes/cabin/DSC01417.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/brotherhayes/cabin/inside.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/brotherhayes/cabin/gorgeview.jpg

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
As a contractor, I've built a few homes, sheds, barns and other buildings. I've also spent allot of time going over plans for a small cabin based on what sells and what the premade kits contain. I figured that if it sells, it must have some merrit to it.

My plan includes a bathroom and kitchenette area. There is a utility area for both a water heater and HVAC system. The roof that I plan to use when I build it will be green metal. Siding will be James Hardi lap siding stained to look like real wood. The porch posts will be cedar logs.

The interior will be sheetrock with a rough finish and wood ceiing with an exposed wood truss on a cathedral ceiling.

At 528 sq ft of heated and cooled space, I figure I can build it for $35 a sq foot easily and honestly think I can do it for under $30 for a budget of $15,000. Septic would be extra, as would the other utiities. The budget is for utilities at the site, ready for a cement pad.

Anyway, I'm still clearing and dreaming, so I don't know when it will happen. If somebody likes the plan and wants to build it, I'd sure like to help out if I could, just to see how it works out.

Eddie

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
We stayed in a small forest service rental log cabin last year in colorado. I really liked the layout of the cabin considering it's size. It had queen beds with a single bunks above. They served as both beds and seating. It slap 6 people. Here is a sketch of the layout

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Here are some pics of the "cabin" I used to own. Just sold it a few months ago. I bought a standard 12X24 metal building and finished the inside. Not exactly a beautiful thing but it was functional.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Sure appreciate all the pictures, floor plans and ideas guys. Thats why I decided to start this thread - knew you guys would come up with some great stuff.

Got a guestion. Does a propane fridge consume a lot of gas? Can we keep it running or is it something that we will have to turn off and on as we plan our stays at the cabin? I had one years ago in a camper we had but only used it on propane a few times. How long does it take for the fridge to get cold once you turn it on?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Willy, my parents used to have a mini-fridge sized propane powered fridge in a trailer. Dad didn't have to refill the small (5 gallon) tanks too often on long camping trips, IIRC, and the stove was propane as well.

WAG, it used a couple of gallons a week. It's a really old WAG - over 30 years ago.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Howdy, All.

I've got to second Brotherhayes on this one.... don't underestimate the time you will spend on the porch, and the space you will need there. My first cabin was a built up shed, that was 16 by 28, with a 12 by 6 porch on the front. We've used it for 7 years, but never spent much time on the porch due to space constraints.

We are now 75% done with cabin number 2, which I hope will last us the next 20 years. We didn't skimp on the porch space..

First, start with a really good deal on a used park model trailer...

Then come up with a floor plan for an additional bunkroom, and the all important porch.

Then spend 8 weekends building the addition... until it looks something like this on the outside....

Plan the next 4 weekends for interior finish out of the additional bunkroom..... no pics, yet, because I haven't done the work, yet.

Fit in a little fishing, only during construction breaks...

This fish is about 15 inches, and looks healthy. He was stocked at 4 inches, two years ago.

Sorry to be so long winded.... don't shortchange yourself on the porch... you will use it alot.

GaryTexas

Last edited by GaryTexas; 05/27/08 08:57 PM.
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Very cool cabins! I'm also in the process of planning a cabin for our farm property in NE Texas, overlooking our 12-acre pond.

I was considering a log cabin, but it's a bit cost prohibitive (according to the wife). I'm currently looking at some of the cabins offered by Tuff Shed. They've got a relatively inexpensive single story ranch style -- I'm thinking about the 24x36, and upgrading the siding to a rough-cut cedar and the shingled roof to green metal. It's got a nice 8' porch. Nothing too fancy, but comfortable enough for the family and a few guests to spend the weekend for some fishing or duck hunting.

I'll post pics when (if) the plans progress. Please, no comments about saving $$$ by building something myself -- I could screw-up a one car funeral. Every time I try to fix something, I mess it up worse and it costs twice as much to get someone to really fix it. I prefer to bring in paid professionals and help the economy! ;\)

Last edited by Fishman Dan; 05/27/08 09:20 PM.

Carl Spackler: "This place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you..."
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Fishman Dan
I could screw-up a one car funeral.

-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I had a cabin (I call it a shed) built 10x12--use it for half fishing stuff and half garden stuff...we had him build a double door to side thinking we'd use it to put lawnmower in but never did. Everyone tells us how cute it is. This same person makes larger ones, I've seen ones he's finished with living quarters in them. They're great sitting next to pond. I'm going to get another one later. Here's his website, the one stained red is mine as I wanted it to match house (picture of mine from this late winter). Metal roof, stained red. Has a porch, windows, etc. Depends what look you're trying to get.

http://www.wildwoodcottageshop.com/

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Had my Tuff-Shed cabin built out at the farm last week. They did a great job at a very reasonable price. After we do the finish-out, we'll have a nice 925 sq. ft. cabin with 2 bedrooms and 1 full bath:

We'll have a great view of the pond from the front porch when we trim the big oak tree:

Carl Spackler: "This place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you..."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I am soooo jealous!
I want one! That is very slick, FDan. We need details, details, details (siding type, wall framing dim's, wired?, etc).
-
Please....post on our Human Habitat thread. Your abode has a page awaiting.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Fishman Dan, Ive been looking into having a cabin almost exactly like yours. Where did you get the plans from and where can I get some info about cabins like this. The builder I talked to said that just to get it dried in would be around $40,000. I thought that was high because it would still be atleast that much more to finish it. Is that about right?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Sweet.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ok guys here are some pics of my cabin. It is nearing completion with a few bugs to still work out. I have spent every free minute this summer working on it and have truly loved every minute. Exterior pics first.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B-Willy....you guys are driving me nuts. That is such a cool idea. How did you support the verts in the pond?
-
Inside pics, please.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sweeeeet cabin Willy. We can't build anything within 100 feet our pond (stupid, stupid, California regulations). Dang I like the looks of that cabin.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday