Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118292 05/10/08 07:02 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Well, as per usual, it's been a hectic few days since I had time to update you guys. Planning for the conference has reached a fever pitch. The next issue of Pond Boss is no doubt the best ever. I can't believe it took so much time. I'll post a thread in the Q&O section of the forum to update all on both the latest issue as well as the conference.
In the meantime, here's what yours truly has been up to.
I left North Carolina April 22 and got home just in time to make a couple of fish deliveries. On Friday, April 25, Mike Otto and I headed toward Brownwood, Texas, to electrofish Larry Hensley's lake. You will remember Larry's lake. I wrote about it a couple of issues ago. Also, Larry had the fish full of the soft plastic baits that has buzzed all over the internet in the last few months. BassResource.com had a large discussion. Bill Dance picked up that story and put it on his website. Anyway, we electrofished Larry's lake, stocked some adult bluegill we raised at LL,2 and added some tilapia to help control algae and supply some much needed forage fish.

These are some of the bluegill released into Larry Hensley's lake.

Then, we headed to my cousin's place to help him layout a prospective pond site. Otto set up his transit, we shot some elevations and determined cousin Craig Lusk, an attorney from Austin, won't have much of a dam to build. About 70% of his lake will need to be excavated, the rest can be from water backed up behind a short dam. Otto gave Craig a quick lesson in Bulldozer 101. Craig bought a dozer and plans to build the pond his ownself, with help from his brother and brother-in-law. All three are exceptionally capable people.

Otto teaches Craig Lusk some of the finer things about the dozer. Otto is hidden behind Craig....

We stocked a few adult bluegill into an existing pond. Craig took great care in handling the fish. Tempered them, waded out and gently released the delicate creatures. I coached him.

On Monday, the 28th, I spent much of the day writing reports and finalizing the last minute details for the upcoming issue of Pond Boss.
Then, on Tuesday the 29th, Otto and I set sail for Montgomery, Alabama. Awoke at 2:30, headed to the airport about 30 minutes later and caught an early flight, connected in Memphis and hooked up with Dr. Mark Griffin of Purina Mills with his video consultant Max Fisher. We flew to Montgomery, matched up with Ray Scott and his staff and spent three glorious days shooting video for Purina. We shot instructional videos for feed dealers, for consumers and several vignettes for Animal Makeover TV on RFD-TV. Ray also did some standups for commercials to air on RFD-TV and for in-house use by Purina. It was fun.
We borrowed an electrofishing boat. Otto and I shocked up some nice bass, including a 10 lb 4 oz beauty. See photo.

The video crew came from Charlotte, North Carolina. They were pros in every sense of the word.

A quick pose with the celebrity, Ray Scott.

Part of the video shoot centered around feed-trained bass. The bass didn't cooperate as we might have liked, but the bluegill did. Here's the stars on the dock, catching bluegill from a small pond on Ray's place.

We shocked up a huge bass. 10-4.

Ray has two catalpa trees next to his bluegill pond. They are covered with catalpa worms, great bait for bluegill.

Got home on Thursday, May 1, rested a bit and arose early on May 2 and headed to Oklahoma's Wildcat Springs Ranch. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of property I have seen. It literally teems with wildlife, has lots of running water and a scenic 75 acre lake we stocked with walleye, smallmouth bass, largemouth, black crappie, channel cat, blue cat, bluegill, and redear sunfish. It has habitat for all those fish. We electrofished that lake and another, a 30 acre lake with trophy bass potential. Great day, no photos. Too busy doing what I do.

Then, last Saturday, it was prom day at the Lusk household. Jam packed day of photos, prom dresses, handsome son, beautiful daughter. We hosted an after-prom party. No sleep. Loads of fun doing things to create memories for the kids (and us).

Then, on Monday, we had a summit meeting about the PB conference. Details in another thread when I get a minute.

Tuesday, May 6, we had stormy weather here. But, that didn't stop professional pilot Bubba Vidrine from flying in to Grayson County Airport and picking me up for a day's consultation in south Louisiana. They have such an "out of the ordinary" pond construction deal. I'll write about it as the project comes together. Bubba flew me to Jennings, Louisiana where we met up with their earthmover. We made plans to build them a 2.5 acre pond.
Wednesday and Thursday, I wrote reports and finished an 8 page sample issue of PB that several advertisers wanted to use as a freebie to give away at trade shows and such.

Then, yesterday, Debbie and I took grandson Nolan to Bob and Donna McFarland's Little Duck Lake in eastern Texas to survey their lake. We had a great time, electrofishing, having lunch and watching Donna and Nolan play.

Bob and his father-in-law Pete Dyer weigh a bass from the lake.

Nice bass, Pete Dyer holds it.

Donna McFarland and Nolan prepare to launch a cool rocket. They pumped up a bicycle-looking pump, had a countdown and Nolan pushed the launch button. That rocket went 40 feet into the air.

What goes up must come down. They enjoyed the rocket. All the rest of us enjoyed watching them shoot off the rocket. Great day for a grandhuman.

Fish on!

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Here I sit, in a hotel room in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Son Jonathan is getting married today.
We made the 13.5 hour trek Thursday, manly Dodge loaded with everything for a Texas fish fry in a park in Minnesota. We are enjoying family and friends and taking a few days "off."
Jonathan is marrying a darling of a young woman. They are a wonderful match and are doing things "right."
Getting to spend time with my brother, one of my sisters, nieces and nephews, my kids, my son's friends...the whole bit. I love it.
The last two weeks have been pretty full.
Investigated a fish kill...not sure why the fish died, but has to have been an issue with water quality. All species, all sizes, died.

On the 16th, we headed to Graff Ranch, long time client and friend. Here are some photos for you to enjoy.

Stan and Searcy wanted to add some structure to the main lake. Their guys drilled holes in tractor tires, wired Christmas trees to a tire and we towed them into the lake.

We electrofished...a lot. Here's a bowfin.

Part of the mission for the biggest lake was to remove "trash" fish. We took out quite a few gar, buffalo and crappie, since crappie aren't a target fish. These are the crappie.

Most of the rest of the last two weeks has been spent writing, planning for the conference and preparing for today's wedding.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM