Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
3 members (bmo, Boondoggle, Blestfarmpond), 844 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Gas just jumped 20¢ here over night. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Memorial Day Holiday.

TJ,
Thanks, the site it a little dated, the boy is now 19 and moved away.
As soon as I finish my processor I'll be burning straight homebrew, biodiesel. That will be much nicer.

One other thing I've noticed is prices must not be bad enough for people to slow down. Driving to work today and everybody at the light is trying for a holeshot.
Some folks don't learn.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
"Regular" unleaded just crossed 4 bucks here today (4.03). The 10% ethanol blends are still about 10-15 cents per gallon cheaper.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Diesel went to 4.70 today Im criing in my beer,however Im off for the weekend and dont plan on going anywhere unless forced too.Im blessed with a pond,family visiting and a full beer fridge

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My little tractor was sucking fumes when I finished bushhogging last Sunday. Off-road diesel was at $3.899 last Sunday, but I unfortunately waited till today to fill my tanks. Yesterday, when I went to work, off-road was at $4.099. I took the truck into town today. It was $4.499. $60 got me a 3/4 fillup.

Regular gasoline is around $3.859 to $3.959. Regular diesel down the road tonight was at $4.859.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I see a few gas stations in my area are at $3.999. Why the games with the prices? For all intensive purposes that is 4 dollars per gallon!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/23/08 10:59 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Fingerling
Fingerling
M
Since I live in Canada gas is at $1.24 a LITRE. Thats like $4.24 per gallon.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Paid $4.72 for diesel on fill up for fish run on Monday. $111

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: sullpond
Gas just jumped 20¢ here over night. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Memorial Day Holiday.

There are all kinds of excuses like not enough refineries, more demand, we need to drill more etc. but if you ask me most of it is speculation on the stock market and the falling value of the dollar! I can't believe demand would raise the prices that much in one day!

How building more refineries will lower the price of a barrel of oil BEFORE it gets here is beyond me. Furthermore I have seen information that leads me to believe the oil companies DO NOT WANT to build more refineries as it would reduce their profit margins.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/27/08 08:58 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Cecil, do you remember the OPEC oil embargo of the eaarly 70's?
They had us by the jugular at that time and we have been hemoraging ever since.
The American public was asleep at wheel while our politicians of both major parties pandered to enviornmentalists for their votes.

There are major natural gas reserves off the west coast of Florida, not to speak of the east and west coast folks with their NIMBY phylosophy.

We have met the enemy and it is us...

I am disappoointed in our "if it feels good do it", instant gratification present day society. that has never experienced
hard times" or personal sacrifice...

In the meantime our public has been conditioned to sit back and cuss the mean old oil companiesa and refineries.
Where has been the public clamor for R&D energy alternatives?

Pardon my rant....
Moderators - moderate..

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
Cecil, do you remember the OPEC oil embargo of the eaarly 70's?
They had us by the jugular at that time and we have been hemoraging ever since.
The American public was asleep at wheel while our politicians of both major parties pandered to enviornmentalists for their votes.

There are major natural gas reserves off the west coast of Florida, not to speak of the east and west coast folks with their NIMBY phylosophy.

We have met the enemy and it is us...

I am disappoointed in our "if it feels good do it", instant gratification present day society. that has never experienced
hard times" or personal sacrifice...

In the meantime our public has been conditioned to sit back and cuss the mean old oil companiesa and refineries.
Where has been the public clamor for R&D energy alternatives?

Pardon my rant....
Moderators - moderate..

George,

I'm with you. Cuba and China are drilling away in the Gulf of Mexico but it's off limits to us? Talk about stupid.

What gets me is this country is capable of anything but it's not happening. Part of it IMHO is we need good leadership for that. At the risk of getting political here I'm not seeing it in our congress critters nor the CIC.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The Reason for High Oil Prices--Business Week

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article subtitle: It's not a supply crisis that explains the sharp spike in oil prices. It's unregulated commodities markets and greed.
I excerpted the three main points in the article regarding demand, supply, & commodities manipulation.

1) Demand:
"One of the things I think is very important to realize is that the growth in the world oil consumption is not that strong." —David Kelly, chief market strategist, J.P. Morgan Funds; The Washington Post, May 4, 2008.

"Chinese consumption is expected to rise this year by only 400,000 b/d—hardly the surging oil demand usually blamed on China in the media. Last year China imported 3.2 million barrels per day, and its estimated usage was around 7 million b/d total. The U.S., by contrast, consumes around 20.7 million b/d. At the same time, MasterCard's (MA) May 7 gasoline report showed that (U.S.) gas demand has fallen by 5.8%, while the government suggested that gasoline consumption might have fallen by slightly over 6%."

2) Supply:
Michael Waldron, the bank's chief oil strategist: "[Oil supply] is outpacing demand growth." Waldron added, "Inventories have been building since the beginning of the year. The Saudi Khursaniya field has just opened, with 500,000 barrels a day of production, and the new Khurais field will start next year with a further 1.2 million b/d [barrels a day]."

"Bloomberg had reported that Iran is again storing its heavy crude on tankers in the Persian Gulf because the country has run out of onshore storage tanks while awaiting buyers. Further, Saudi Arabia has extended discounts on its sour crudes to $7.45 for Arabian Heavy. Doesn't sound like there's any real supply problem with that grade of crude, does it? ... the consensus of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists and the energy executives may be right: No supply crisis justifies the way the world's oil is being priced today."

3) Commodities Market:
"There is substantial evidence that the large amount of speculation in the current market has significantly increased [oil] prices." —U.S. Senate Staff Report, The Role of Market Speculation in Rising Oil and Gas Prices, June 27, 2006

"Commodities have often been the refuge for investors who have lost money on equities or fixed-income investments...Moreover, the commodities rush today is not limited to oil; now we also have runaway food and feed prices. Could it be that all the financial losses on subprime mortgages, plus the anticipation that the option ARM mortgages about to reset could be an even bigger problem, combined with the huge losses in securities last year, are why investment money today is flooding into often unregulated commodities, where the demand pricing of the final goods is inelastic?"

"Consider this: You may not buy gasoline or even eat today, but by next Monday you'll probably have to do both, no matter what it costs."

http://www.businessweek.com/print/li...513_720178.htm

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
So your saying most of the spike is due to investor speculation, HMMMM. I wonder how many gallons of oil you could render from their fat for bio diesel? \:\)

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well Jeff I don't know how old you are (didn't look at your profile), but we had a so called "Energy Crisis" back in 1973. Turns out we were hoodwinked along with president Carter. Ask anyone that remembers it.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I was only 7 but oddly enough I do remember it. I just saw a petition being passed around at Americansolutions.com Apparently Newt Gingrich is the chairman and he is trying to get the attention of Congress to open up domestic oil sources. Seems to be a fairly popular idea. They have over 53,000 signatures already. If nothing else its an interesting history lesson in global politics.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker
I was only 7 but oddly enough I do remember it. I just saw a petition being passed around at Americansolutions.com Apparently Newt Gingrich is the chairman and he is trying to get the attention of Congress to open up domestic oil sources. Seems to be a fairly popular idea. They have over 53,000 signatures already. If nothing else its an interesting history lesson in global politics.

Not sure I'd trust a politician to solve this problem. They are part of the problem in that our leadership has not been proactive whatsoever.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker

Not sure I'd trust a politician to solve this problem. They are part of the problem in that our leadership has not been proactive whatsoever.

Your preaching to the choir. Term limits in Congress seem like such a great idea. So therefore it will probably never happen \:\(

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow took a drive about 170 miles of my place to pick up two 6 foot circular tanks which I had to put on a utility trailer. Spent about $100.00 in gas. Ouch! Sticker shock!

I see why the state highway in front of my house is a shadow of the traffic it used to have. On certain times of the they day it's virtually dead. Used to be busy 24/7.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use