Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (gautprod, Fishingadventure, bmicek, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, nvcdl), 1,158 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#118689 05/14/08 10:38 AM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Well, we have finally started construction on our pond. We went back and forth on where to put it but finally decided on the original location that we considered...

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...4ee9#Post110907

Anyway, I went home for a couple of weeks (I live overseas) and was able to arrange for the excavator to be standing by with 2 dirt scrapers ready. I was able to pretty much see the entire excavation completed. When I left to return to work, we had gotten a little rain and I was actually able to see a little water in the bottom of it.

The guy running the scraper told me that the ground was like concrete and had very good clay throughout. It is 1.27 surface acres and has a levy all the way around it so I will fill it with well water. He doesn't think I will have any trouble getting it to hold water.

This first one shows how he outlined the natural treeline. He removed all the topsoil from the pond location and then put the topsoil back on top of the levy so hopefully grass will get started pretty quick.

This second pic is after he started digging.

This third pic shows the detail that he put into the levy. I love watching what laser leveled dirt scrapers can do.

This fourth pic shows the pond after 3/4" of rain. I put a flag at the waterline after the rain and 30 hours later the water had gone down about 1"

Here is a pic of the scraper at work.

I just figured out how to post pics which is good. Now I don't have to see comments from folks oggling my wife's pics from her Photobucket account (although she didn't seem to mind)!!!

Last edited by Makoclay; 02/24/09 03:26 AM.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Looks great Mako!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Makoclay

The pictures look great. Is this a great web sit or not?
Let us know how the water level doing. Remember if the dirt is dry it will soak up a lot of water on the first filling.

Otto

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
The low bank level is going to add a lot to the overall look of the property. Giving it an always there look, nice job.

Last edited by Rad; 05/18/08 03:17 AM.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Rad
The low bank level is going to add a lot to the overall look of the property. Giving it an always there look, nice job.

Exactly what I was thinking Rad. Wish I had done that myself.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks guys, I hope you are right. It was important to me to have the water level as low as possible so that I could see the actual water when looking at the pond from my home. The home will be in the trees, right by where the vehicle is parked in the first picture. My intention is to keep the lower tree limbs cleaned up so that I can look through the trees and see the pond (and hopefully waterfoul and deer).

Now if I could just get the drilling contractor out there to drill my water wells!!!

Last edited by Makoclay; 05/19/08 10:31 AM.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Mako
Your planing to be able to see the water level from the house is great Knowing where the water level will be when the pond is full is an important part of the whole project,

Good plan.

OTTO

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
WOW!!! I can't believe how much time, $$ and effort I have put in to giving the fish a place to do the Wild Thing. I added a layer of course sand over the much shallow areas. I put about 4" of course sand in the middle of the pond and on both the north and south banks. I did it for the fish, but I think it will make swimming more enjoyable as well. The fish consultant recommended 6", but I only went with 4" - the fish will just have to get used to it!!!

Pic of the sand prior to being spread...

I plan to stock the pond with LMB, HSB, BG and GSF. I understand the bass will use the sand, but what about the bream? Do I need to add some beds of gravel for them to do their thing as well or can they make due in the sand. I was unable to find sand with any gravel in it. What I purchased was what the trucking company called "concrete sand".

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Sand, gravel, clay - bream are horny and versatile.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
BG will do fine with clay , sand or gravel. Gravel is best followed by sand then clay IMO. Here are the links to back to back discussions of BG nesting , survival and substrate types.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=61272&fpart=1

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7628&fpart=1

BTW nice looking pond in the making. What is the plan for keeping the sand in place ?

Pics help also.

Last edited by ewest; 05/26/08 07:40 AM.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I thought about installing something to keep the sand in place, but I hope I do not need it. MOST of the sand is in an area in the middle of the pond that is horizontal so it really should not go anywhere.

For the banks, I took the sand all the way to the bottom of the pond to where it levels out (it is about 7 feet deep to the top of the levy). My thinking is that since there is sand all the way to the bottom (which is horizontal), it should stay in place. The real problem, however, is that I live overseas and I really don't have anybody available at home to install anything to keep it in place. I will go home around the end of July. I am pretty sure that the pond will not be full by then so based on what feedback I get here I can still install something.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Mako
The sand will move a little but will not move much.

Ernest
GREAT PICTURES THANKS.
OTTO

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cool Pictures. Those BG beds look like moon craters. Looks like you are going to have a verry successful BG spawn.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
OK gentlemen, I have a big decision on my hands and I need some advise. Before I fill my pond, I want to go ahead and construct a pier(s). I have uploaded a picture. Hopefully the contour lines will show up and you can see the depths that I am dealing with. Basically, the pond will be around 4' deep out in front of the peninsula. This is where I brought in the river sand for the fish breeding area. The deep "holes" to the north and south are going to be about 8-10' feet in the middle

My first option was to go with the blue pier. The walkway to the "T" would be 4' x 20'. The "T" would be 10' x 30'.

Pro: nice size pier that is symetrical and would be pretty. I could probably still cast to the deeper ends.

Con: It would only be around 4 feet which would not make it good for swimming

My second option is the red design where I would utilize 2 smaller piers. I think I would build 2 because it would then give me access to both deep areas of the pond and would keep the symetrical look.

Pro:I would be able to build my pier out to the deep water.

Con:Do I really need 2 piers? Would it look bad asthetically?

The 3rd option is to build a bridge from one side to the other. I would probably elevate a place in the middle so if I ever had a small boat I could go underneath it and access both sides of the pond

Pro: I could access the perimeter of the pond without having to walk all the way around it. It is also not something that you see very often so it would be somewhat of a novelty and would give the pond a signature

Con: Would a bridge look stupid?

I got a quote for option #1 for about $6,500. It is expensive because the contractor quoted me Timber Tech deck. I think that the cost difference between the 3 options will close enough that it will probably will not factor into my decision.

Please help. I want to make the right decision. Here is a picture of my 3 options

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What kind of actual pier construction are you thinking about? Based on the bux you are talking about, a floating pier might be a serious consideration...?
It will ride with the depth changes (Texas heat), keeping the pier a constant elevation over the water surface. Also affords the reasonable simplicity of moving it elsewhere (and re-configuring the shape/dimensions) if you don't like your original decision.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I would go with the red option.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
My vote is with Sunil red looks good to me.

Otto

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I would go with the pink option below. Here is why. A dock/pier is a central focus for much pond activity (not just fishing). Plan for multiple choices like swimming , kids wading , sight fishing the sand bed areas , a beach for wading , pic taking and fish viewing etc. I assume that the pic orientation is north is up. If so the pink location gives access to the sand/beach area with shallow water for ALL beach type activities and deeper water access from the other side of the pier. It leaves you a secluded area (the other side of the pond for fishing while others are on the pier sun bathing , swimming etc. This location gives shade in the am and sun in the afternoon for sun worshipers (wives , kids and grandkids or hung-over friends). It is close enough that the wives/daughters etc can sit on the dock and watch the kids at the beach area .

These type things are why careful thought on pond matters from people with vision are important. I am not claiming to be a visionary but I have seen this choice in person and ask all the why questions at the time. I listened. I will find a pic of the results.

Last edited by ewest; 06/11/08 02:05 PM.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I agree with Otto and Sunil, but it is always easier to spend somebody else's money. As far as your quote goes, it seems a little high to me. Usually a bid is roughly half labor and half materials, and I know a contractor won't be paying laborers over $3000 for work that shouldn't take more than a week. Lumber prices have shot up around here lately, but I still think a price closer to $4000 or $5000 including labor would be more likely.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I would go with red, having the docks in deeper water. You might get too much plant growth around a dock in only 4 foot of water?

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
It's hard to argue with EWEST but i stil like the red.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Okay, compromise: one pink, one red.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I am going to go with the red option. I am really hung up on maintaining a symetrical look so the pink option does not really work for me.

Ezlyman,
I think the quote came in higher because of the Timbertech boards that I want to use. The quote for regular wood was about $4,500 which is about in line with what you figured.

One more question though...I have told the builder that I want the pier to be as low to the waterline as possible. I know the maximum height of the water because I have installed an overflow pipe. What is everybody's thoughts on the height of the pier?. Are there any downsides to having a low profile pier?

Thanks for all the feedback. I am ready to get this build so I can start posting some pics of the finished product.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Most of the time the water level moves up and down with the weather so close to the water is usually a good choice

otto

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I have one dock that's about 10 inches above standard full pool. Very good for canoe & swimming entry.

OTOH, three different times this Spring my wife called me at work after heavy rains and told me someone had stolen my dock. They always brought it back before I got home at 3:00 PM. \:\)

-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt