Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W), 765 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
BTW, if you had to guess, how fresh was the wound?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
I would guess 7-10 days, it seemed to be healing really well. There didn't appear to be any fungus or mold. Odd thing was, catching it twice, either she really wants out of the pond, or she's just THAT hungry. Fresh chicken livers work best here.

Last edited by 40 yr old virgin; 05/02/08 10:19 PM. Reason: Realizing I shouldn't have guessed.

I have buried the hatchet.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: 40 yr old virgin
Odd thing was, catching it twice, either she really wants out of the pond..

I suspect that if you were swimming around your pond and something came out of the depths and bit your foot off then you'd probably want out of the pond also. \:o

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Got em'! Sorry turtle lovers, but I had to do it. 11 lbs. 11 oz. without head

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think his chances of survival at this point are practically zero.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
How long can I expect this thing to "live"? It's head is still trying to bite anything it can, body is still moving around too.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've seen snappers with there heads cut off that turned back toward the pond and crawled all the way back in the water. They don't have a very complex nervous system. Their brain is basically a thick spot in the spinal chord.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
The heart will likely keep beating for a VERY long time.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
First off, brutal.

How do you feel this snappers mouth gape fits to the injured channel cat? This guy seems small; not saying that he's not eating other fish.

The picture with the axe is crazy.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Good lord that is a disgusting photo, eyeball hanging out, I think I puked in my mouth a little, kinda makes GW's maggot photos seem almost savory.

I busted out laughing when I read this from Jeff and my wife had to come over and check out why I was laughing to myself. She then saw the eyeball hanging out and then the snapping turtle head chopped off with an axe.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What if he was innocent? \:o

I still say I'll take a turtle over those slimy catfish anyday. I had a bigger turtle in the pond last year and live trapped and moved him.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/04/08 06:21 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
I have to admit, I felt very bad for killing it. (actually my friend took the ax to it, I couldn't) Sunil, it was brutal and I'm sorry, I just kept telling myself, it's better than my kid (or some other child) getting nibbled on while they play or swim in the pond, plus the damage he's causing to my fishy's. As far as him being possibly not being the culprit, you might be correct, however I just measured his mouth, it's nearly 3" across and about 3" deep, it's almost a match to the bite. Cecil, I doubt this guy was innocent by any means, but thanks for making [u]me[/u] feel guiltyhttp://www.pondboss.com/forums/images/icons/default/frown.gif I suppose that I could have taken him to the big pond (Lake Michigan), but I didn't think about that until now. In the future, I promise, all turtles will go to the big pond, with their heads.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If I had to guess, I would think that the catfish wound was from a snapper. But for that to happen, I would have to think the catfish was just laying stationary somewhere.

Snapping turtles are slow.

No apologies needed for the carnage. n8ly summed it up pretty good.

Eye for an eye? Heck, just take his head off!!!!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I just had an old timer who lives by my pond tell me that a snapper's head can bite for up to a full moon cycle after it's head has been cut off. He claims a severed snapper head bit off three of his uncles fingers three weeks after it was beheaded.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Uh oh...

Now that we're getting into voodoo, witchcraft, and folklore, 40-Y-0-V might have chopped off more that he can chew.

There might some specific rites and rituals that need to be conducted so that the severed head does not cause global turmoil.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
They don't have a very complex nervous system. Their brain is basically a thick spot in the spinal chord.

I was watching a political debate on television recently. Seems like politicians and snapping turtles have more in common than I realized.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
There might some specific rites and rituals that need to be conducted so that the severed head does not cause global turmoil.

I could't agree more Sunil. I'm beginning to think that Pond Boss has a dark side. First Bruce conjers up MJ, then Cecil plucks the eyes out of his fish, then FMcB suddenly has manelovent life forms appearing on his pond, and now 40YOV has become and accessory to axe murder.

Dark times people, very dark times.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
40yrOV,

Sunil doesn't care about the turtle as long as it isn't a smallmouth!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Let's see....

First, soak the severed head in three-day old sour milk (don't use skim or 2% as that will cause catastrophic consequences).

Next, place the container containing the soaking, severed head under your bed while you sleep for three consecutive nights, while still soaking in sour milk (NOTE: the container cannot be covered so as to allow the vapors to permeate through your bedroom).

Finally, you must immerse yourself in your pond, sans clothing, for (3) hours to allow the chance for revenge by the community of snapping turtles.

Once this is done, I think you'll be OK.

PS, after all this, just keep the container of sour milk and snapper head in your family room, sans cover of course.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
They don't have a very complex nervous system. Their brain is basically a thick spot in the spinal chord.

I was watching a political debate on television recently. Seems like politicians and snapping turtles have more in common than I realized.

You're being very unfair to snapping turtles.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
CC are pretty tough...here's one I caught last spring in the Mississippi. He had no trouble finding my gob of shadguts...

I'm guessing either turtle or big ol cat got him.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I'm thinking that "if" I could use my nailgun \:\) and place 100's of severed snapping turtle heads in a row on a 2x4, I could use it to trim my pond weeds???

Snapping turtles can easily take off fingers, I treat them like fireants. I also kill all hardshell turtles as well...softshells, on the otherhand, are quite unique and welcome any time, my pond is their sanctuary. I'm a turtle racist \:D

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Matt, you didn't eat that fish did you ??? LOL, or feed it to the in-laws ???

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Uh, actually, Eastland, I did filet it. Wife asked me later why I didn't put it in the pond. Seemed to her that something that had to work that hard to make a living deserved a second chance. I told her I'd watch it swim away...right in a hot oil bath. Oh well...

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Eastland
I'm thinking that "if" I could use my nailgun \:\) and place 100's of severed snapping turtle heads in a row on a 2x4, I could use it to trim my pond weeds???

Snapping turtles can easily take off fingers, I treat them like fireants. I also kill all hardshell turtles as well...softshells, on the otherhand, are quite unique and welcome any time, my pond is their sanctuary. I'm a turtle racist \:D

I always thought that softshell's were harder on fish that red ear sliders, or other common green turtles. Anybody have an info on this?
Also fishing is not the only thing that can be hazardous to your fish. I caught this guy trespassing.

This poor guy was behind a carp. The arrow went through and got him as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images