Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Can someone give advice about how to rig this exactly? Do you rig it like a twister tail grub or just a piece of worm trail from the back (bottom? curve?) of the hook?

I played around with this rig while targeting RES the other day. In 20 minutes I caught two small LMB and no Lepomis.

Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: GW
Can someone give advice about how to rig this exactly? Do you rig it like a twister tail grub or just a piece of worm trail from the back (bottom? curve?) of the hook?

I played around with this rig while targeting RES the other day. In 20 minutes I caught two small LMB and no Lepomis.

GW, If it works for me, it must not matter how you rig the worm too much. Bruce used about 1/3" of nightcrawler down at LL2. I use a whole small (2.5" - 3") earthworm, just speared through in about 3 places (front, middle, tail) like Grandpa Gallus used for bobber fishing.

Presentation may be more important. Bruce says to let it sink until it's just off the bottom, then (IIRC) do a medium to slow retrieve with little jerks built in. He says those jerks really catch the fish's eye (and, subsequently, lips).

I have been varying retrieval speed and jerk period/amplitude, searching for a "sweet spot", and have been having success over a fairly wide range . But I am running it right on or just over the bottom.

Hey, Bruce - give us the expert rundown!

P.S. I am looking forward to being able to try this (and other fishing techniques) out on a primarily RES audience in mu second pond in the future. It's hard (for me) to figure out catching Redears where they are outnumbered by BG.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Last ten years statistics with this rig.

27,445 fish caught including bluegill, redears, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, striped bass hybrids, spotted bass, freshwater drum, striped bass, hybrid sunfish, white crappie, black crappie, common carp, grass carp, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

0 fish deep hooked

0 mortalities, except intended morts (dinner table).

The reason for no mortalities?

I don't use this rig on windy days.

If the wind is low or absent I can stay in constant touch with the jighead, and it's kept either moving or under tension at all times with an immediate hookset.

Hopefully you can see the barbless setup that helps facilitate removal of the hook if it's in the upper palate. This prevents tearing of that delicate tissue.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
wow, thats 7.6 fish a day!!

how do you find time to fix peoples teeth \:D

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My CPUE is typically over 15/hour on this setup.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED - ugh - that's 7.6 fish per day with that set-up/rig. It does not count the other 25,000+ fish with other set-ups. The fixing teeth thing is a smoke screen. ;\) - \:D

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dang! that looks delicious!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
A trick someone showed my to add action is when using a spinning reel extend your index finger holding the pole so that the line catches on it each time the reel turns. The line catches on your finger for just a second then pulls free. This adds a ton of action.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Last ten years statistics with this rig.

27,445 fish caught including bluegill, redears, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, striped bass hybrids, spotted bass, freshwater drum, striped bass, hybrid sunfish, white crappie, black crappie, common carp, grass carp, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

0 fish deep hooked

0 mortalities, except intended morts (dinner table).

The reason for no mortalities?

I don't use this rig on windy days.

If the wind is low or absent I can stay in constant touch with the jighead, and it's kept either moving or under tension at all times with an immediate hookset.

Hopefully you can see the barbless setup that helps facilitate removal of the hook if it's in the upper palate. This prevents tearing of that delicate tissue.

Bruce is right on with his technique of being a line watcher and staying in touch with your jig/lure/ fly - this is fundamental Fishing 101. You wont gut hook a fish this way – the exception being new “circle” hooks when you let the fish run with the bait, hooking himself.

The same technique is valid whether you are suing 4# test or 20# test line. As Bruce pointed out, it is difficult in rough and windy conditions but much easier “to stay in touch” with heavier jigs with heavier tackle.

Bruce, when you start counting fish on me you force me back to my records...

Using the exact technique you describe but with heavier tackle, excluding top waters, I have documented the following Striped Bass taken from Lake Texoma in a representative ten-year period:

6799 Striped Bass between 2 and 20+ lbs
My best year was 1038 SB
Poorest was 452 SB in a flood prone year.

I am sure I have killed my share of fish by deep gill hooks, fighting big fish to death by turning from wicked structure, and general carelessness.
I fished in all kinds of weather

Using a very conservative 3 lb/fish average – that’s a lot of stripers – do the math... \:\)

Not included are literally hundreds of LMB, SMB, SB, WB, and crappie from Lake Texoma as well as many other reservoirs in this part of the country.
All fish were caught on artificials – I don’t use live bait.

This doesn’t approach your admirable 27,445 fish but until we had our ponds, I had not fished for, nor caught a BG since I was in knee pants, with a cane pole and can of worms...

Now back to rigging 1/32 oz jigs on 4# test line...

Note: Total fish landed per boat - not individual angler.
6799 Striped Bass between 2 and 20+ lbs

Last edited by george1; 04/25/08 06:52 AM. Reason: correction

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sheesh, Bruce and George!

I'm losing valuable time. I've got a lot of ground to make up with that rig. \:\)

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
Forget trying to catch Bruce unless you land a 2 day-a-week lawyerin' job.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
OK, Theo wants to learn Bruce’s UL tackle technique on his ponds.
Lesson taught – lesson learned.

My only concern is that the novice fisherman will want to start at the level that Bruce has achieved, having fished most of his life at a skill level that many will never achieve.

I just don’t want the novice fisherman to believe they can catch
”(Last ten years statistics} with this rig, 27,445 fish caught including bluegill, redears, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, striped bass hybrids, spotted bass, freshwater drum, striped bass, hybrid sunfish, white crappie, black crappie, common carp, grass carp, etc. etc. blah blah blah”… - unless it is their intent on making a film for “America’s Funniest Videos”…

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
The worm jig rig landed 2 more RES to transfer to my pond tonight. \:\)

I also caught 5 or 6 small LMB. That's a good thing because the pond I was fishing is bass crowded.

Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
OK, Theo wants to learn Bruce’s UL tackle technique on his ponds.
Lesson taught – lesson learned.

My only concern is that the novice fisherman will want to start at the level that Bruce has achieved, having fished most of his life at a skill level that many will never achieve.

My next goal is to learn to golf like Tiger Woods. :P ;\)

-S. M. Stirling
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
theo, IME, the real trick to any method is maintaining "communication" w/ the presentation, followed by quick hook sets using an appropriate force. its really tough to fish a jig from shore, off the bottom, when there's FA or other aquatic growth. then its a game of finding the clear spots or getting the timing right to fish the lure above the weed level.

i hope to be getting some time in on JHAPs pond, he's up here this weekend and into next week, i hope we can provide a report. his pond is choked w/ weed growth, but the last time i fished it, you could still find some avenues to drag and bump a tube or jig.

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Considered using a Carolina rig? It consists of a small bullet type slip sinker just above a swivel; not a snap swivel. Attach a piece of 4 lb test line(about 3 or 4 ft) to an unweighted hook that is garnished with a grub and piece of worm. The grub may be optional in really cloudy water. The actual bait floats above the FA and the sinker goes through the junk pretty well. An additional piece of gear is often used. Get a couple of glass beads and put them between the weight and the swivel as clickers. However, I doubt that they click a lot in FA.

Although upsized, this is the favorite lure used by guides for big bass on Lake Fork. It's deadly.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
yes dave, i've watched guys slay fish with them, and i've tried fishin them, but to be honest never had much luck with them. i have personal problems \:o feeling the bite and probably because i dont rig them quite right, i end up with two things full of weeds...the weight and the bait.

i really like fishin curly tail grubs, direct line to bait. some of my best most memorable days ever were back east in virginia, catching redbreasts (BG), redeye, smb, spots, lmb, and trout in the same creek, on the same day w/ the same rig. i miss that alot.

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dave, my favorite all around lure is still the Roadrunner with a curly tail grub. It's just a jig with a spinner blade so how could you go wrong? I think I'm going to try rigging the RR jig head with a real worm and see what ensues. \:\)

Bruce, if I had to guess I would say that you change the worm on this rig frequently. How often do you reuse a worm after catching a fish? If the worm looks dead and droopy do you still chuck it out there just to see if something hits it?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
for my guys, when they're active, they'l attack the tiniest most shredded little piece of worm tissue you could imagine. but put the bare hook in, and they just stare at it...i've trained them well \:\)

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
for my guys, when they're active, they'l attack the tiniest most shredded little piece of worm tissue you could imagine. but put the bare hook in, and they just stare at it...i've trained them well \:\)

Yes. True.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Bruce’s picture suggested the jig/rig was rather large so my curiosity compelled me to look at what size a 1/32 ounce jig really is?

I weighed a common “jig head” hook that I commonly tie a “spider” fly for BG and RES and found it to be 13 grains, which my conversion chart says 1/32 ounce?
Attached is photo showing actual scale compared to a quarter.

I didn’t have an earthworm handy to photo for scale , but remember ewest saying he preferred a tube jig – I choose a “spider” fly tied on this size jig.

Cast them on UL, fly rod, or dabble them on the end of a cane pole - they work... \:\)

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: george1
[quote=Bruce Condello]......
Bruce’s picture suggested the jig/rig was rather large so my curiosity compelled me to look at what size a 1/32 ounce jig really is?.......

he's good at that george. i thought he was stealing worms from texas. thank you for bringing me back to reality.... \:\)

edited post....i forgot to mention, those leadheads you show there w/ the black eyes are what i currently use on my "pond spinning rod" i put a small curly tail grub on those, and a chunk of worm to cover hook.....when i'm not fly fishin \:\)

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 04/30/08 12:49 AM.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
With his specifications, I bought an ultralight spinning rig (Shimano Solstace Rear Drag and 5'6" Fish Eagle II rod, both for 4 lbs test line).

I bought this exact same rig after the last Ultra light discussions. I fished it for the first time this week. I really, really like how far you can cast a light lure.

So far I have caught EXACTLY 0.000000 fish on this rig.

Do I stink at fishing or what.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
WoW, I love threads like this, reminds me of the old "Georgia Giant Days". I will never disagree with George, he is my HSB Idol. Bruce also impresses me, I won't disagree with him either, he might pull my teeth...although I do question his "fashion" wardrobe (ask McButterpants about the vibe \:\) and subtract another point, that SOB is a Cornhusker !!! \:D Go Horns!

George & Bruce are both pioneers in their niche, it's easy to see from the outside how passionate they are in regards to the "wellbeing" of their preferred species. George doesn't want his HSB ripping off 4lb. test, snapping the line, then ending up snagged in timber somewhere as turtle food. Bruce on the other hand, admits an inadvertant HSB may rip off his 4lb test, but that the hook would bend, which may be true, unless the jaw strength clamping down on the line doesn't give the hook a chance to bend.

Thankfully they have their own ponds \:\) I can see it now, Bruce accidentally catches a HUGE HSB on a 4 lb test using a grub in Georges pond in August, fights it for 4 minutes to the shore. George looks at Bruce and says : "I hope you brought your OWN Oxygen bottles !" \:\) \:\)

Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
This rig has been really performing well for me. I am approaching Condello, Jr. CPUE levels.

Last night I caught 11 BG (5" - 9"), 3 LMB (11", 13", and 18.5"/3 lbs 11oz) AND a 7" RES (transferred to new pond) in a little under 40 minutes.

-S. M. Stirling
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump