Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,699
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (FireIsHot, rjackson, Sunil, catscratch, Shorthose, canyoncreek), 575 guests, and 216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117148 04/30/08 07:53 AM
H
heybud Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
I was wondering how people feel about pond ownership in relation to other pond owners. Do people with big ponds feel superior to people with small ponds, even if it is subconsciously? Do small pond owners have an inferiority complex? Do people inflate the size of their pond to feel better or impress others? We know that people have different feelings about certain kinds of fish and people who grow them. Do people with multiple ponds have a different perception of single pond owners? Now that I'm a single pond owner, I know I feel different. Is there some kind of "pecking order" in pond ownership. Do older pond owners feel superior to newbies? Owning a pond has to affect us somehow. Come on let us know how you "really" feel.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I want to take this opportunity to plead the 5th Amendment.

Also, I have no recollection of that, Senator.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
When I call my 1A pond a "lake" and then correct myself and say "pond", I feel the same as when I am asked if any Presidents have come from Georgia and I say "no' and then have to correct myself and say "oh yeah there was one - JC".
Is this normal?

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
All ponds are like good friends. It does not matter if your friend is 5'2 or 6'8 - fat or skinny - blond or brown haired - they are your good friend and that is enough. If you have a good friend you are lucky - if you have more than one respect your blessings. No boasting about good fortune as there will always be greater and lesser people than each of us no matter what and fortune has a way of turning on those who don't respect the fickle nature of their good luck. \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: heybud
I was wondering how people feel about pond ownership in relation to other pond owners. Do people with big ponds feel superior to people with small ponds, even if it is subconsciously? Do small pond owners have an inferiority complex? Do people inflate the size of their pond to feel better or impress others? We know that people have different feelings about certain kinds of fish and people who grow them. Do people with multiple ponds have a different perception of single pond owners? Now that I'm a single pond owner, I know I feel different. Is there some kind of "pecking order" in pond ownership. Do older pond owners feel superior to newbies? Owning a pond has to affect us somehow. Come on let us know how you "really" feel.

I think that from Bob Lusk, on down through the moderators and more active members, this site has set an incredible and contagious welcoming atmosphere to everyone.

I probably have one of the smaller ponds, but because of all the assistance I've gotten here I feel that have a dream fishery.

Do I feel superior to others because of my successes -- no. I really want to be able to give back to others the kind of help I've received.

Do I feel inferior to others because of their ponds and fisheries -- no. We haven't heard from Meadowlark for a while, but wow, would I love to live like him, and many more on this website. But, I sure don't feel inferior, or even envious.

The only thing that kind of scrapes me the wrong way are articles I see in magazines (even a few in PB) about the wealthy and famous who flaunt what they have done -- but all has been done with unlimited funds through the use hired help and experts. They usually don't know a perch from a trout. And, they take all the credit for these beautiful ponds, farms, etc.

But, I feel secure in my pondhood.

Good fishn'
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Well said ewest........VERY well said!

I WANT BOB'S JOB!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I feel envious of the guys with the 10+ acre lakes and wish Cheyenne19 would adopt me.

The other side of the coin: I do not envy the guys with big water when they get bass crowded or out of balance in any way. Then, eliminating hundreds of pounds of bass can turn into frustratingly hard work and/or expense.

My biggest envy is for those who live where there is adequate rainfall.

Feel superior? Not with my screw ups; uh, I mean experiments. I'm mostly a student who fails a lot of pop tests.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/30/08 09:26 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
EwestI agree well said
Cat,Icouldnt agree more.I have a pond that is smaller than most also but,I,like many if not most here,have limited funds and more hours than I care to admit invested in it.Im proud of my accompishments so far.
On another note,when I see the pond or lake that you mention that was built when money was no object and the owner doesnt know fish from chicken Im just not impressed.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
it's not how big it is....it's how you use it

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I bask in the glow of my many blessings pond and otherwise. I feel not superior nor inferior. I'm a tiny blip in the universe. I simply go about enjoying each and every day God gives me to the fullest. \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
it's not how big it is....it's how you use it

Absolutely, Brettski. And while your pond may be bigger than mine, I've used mine more. :P

I don't feel superior/inferior because of size. Once in a great while I get a little envious over climate differences - some PMs can have year-round trout or more months of Tilapia forage than me - but it seems kind of foolish to waste much time complaining about geographical differences. I like where I live and 99% of the time I am very happy with the kinds of fish I can raise here.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 04/30/08 10:33 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
I bask in the glow of my many blessings pond and otherwise. I feel not superior nor inferior. I'm a tiny blip in the universe. I simply go about enjoying each and every day God gives me to the fullest. \:\)

Well said Dwight...!!!!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Reminds me of a discussion a couple years back, what's the difference between a pond and a lake? A pond is anything smaller than mine, a lake is anything bigger.

I remember whan my "lake" was 100' in diameter.

The important thing is just to have a body of water to live beside.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
My pond is the Pacific Ocean. I don't feel superior, just lucky.

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'm envious of anyone who can get to their pond or lake by foot, bicycle or UTV. That is folks who live where the pond is located.

Lunker
Lunker
I am envious of those people that live on their pond. I wish I could take a walk to my pond from my front porch, but bummer I have to drive 80-90 minutes to get to mine. But as far as size and inferior, Nope. All the guys on here seem to have different skills but all have the same love for our ponds.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Well said, Ewest! There will always be better and lessor--how true. One thing for certain, I know that I am very proud of what my hubby and I have accomplished with our, yes, small pond with the help of your site, other readers, clinics, etc--there is a wealth of information to be had. I read, I listened, I learned, and I followed instructions that were tried and true--and we put a lot of sweat in it. We don't have unlimited funds ....and yes, there are still and always things we want to do to the pond... But, the joy in what we have done is the ultimate achievement and WE ARE HAVING SO MUCH FUN FISHIN'.
***Gotta Go -- the Big One is Waiting for Me to Catch Him!***

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Life's too short to worry about whose pond is bigger or better. I'm just grateful I'm lucky enough to own one. I spend my hours worrying about whether I'm doing my best for the critters that live in and around my pond.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: heybud
Come on let us know how you "really" feel.

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!

Great thread Heybud.

I use to feel envy over the 10+ acre ponds posted here. And then I tried to manage my 3 acre fish hole. Now I'm greatful that my pond is the size it is. After buying the chemicals to treat elodea for 3 acres (slightly over $1,000) I'm now greatful that I don't have 10 acres of elodea filled water.

I was welcomed on Pond Boss from day one (probably because no one knew what a thorn in the side that I would become). No one ever made me feel bad that I only have one pond and that it was not huge or that I had too many trees around the pond or that I had a plethora (I like that word, I could have said "a lot", "a multitide", "an overabundance" but plethora sounds so regal) anyhoo, a plethora of GSF.

Wait a minute, come to think of it I did catch grief for the GSF. And that grief made me realize that yes, I am superior, I may not have a better pond, it may not be bigger, it may not be prettier, but as Brettski put it, it's all in how you use it. And I use my pond to raise the glorius GSF. I now know that I am in fact a superior pond meister to be honored with the presence of this wonderful species. I feel pity for those that don't know this wonderful fish. I am on the path to glory and greatness for defending this pinacle of sunfish evolution. Can I get an AMEN!

You now may return to your regularily scheduled programming.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You can have mine ! \:D

Last edited by ewest; 05/01/08 08:56 PM.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
amen brother \:D \:D \:D

GSF are people too!

H
heybud Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Amen , Amen, Amen Bro

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
In a way I think I envy all of you, I read about the things that you have done and see the pictures of your work and it is always impressive.
Then there are the contributions to others that you make, if there is one psychological thread that runs through pond owners it is that, based on my personal experience.
Good thread heybud.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
H
heybud Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H

Rad, Your insight is always right on. My original post was designed to enlist both serious and tongue-in-cheek responses. No matter how we feel about our ponds or other's ponds, on this forum we are all in the same boat, so to speak. We have gathered here to help each other do our best to manage and enjoy our ponds. I do feel a little different since I sold Zephyr but not because I feel inferior or superior but because I felt I was blessed to own two ponds at one time. I still feel a loss and will always have good memories for Zephyr. Thanks to all for your honest opinions. GSA rocks!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Rad
In a way I think I envy all of you, I read about the things that you have done and see the pictures of your work and it is always impressive.

Don't sell yourself short there Rad, we've seen photos of your place as well, multiple ponds, exotic fish species, tourist cottages in the works. You have quite an operation going on over there.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by catscratch - 04/16/24 06:54 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?