Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
Bruce Condello, as I have stated before, is a fishing machine.

In January, I was privileged to watch him reel in fish after fish (mostly big BG) from the upper house pond at LL2 using an ultralight weight spinning rig that held a stub of nightcrawler on a tiny little jighead. I decided that if I learned to do only one new fishing thing this year, it would be to match that technique as closely as possible.

Bruce was kind enough to lend both technical advise and advice on technique. With his specifications, I bought an ultralight spinning rig (Shimano Solstace Rear Drag and 5'6" Fish Eagle II rod, both for 4 lbs test line) and some 1/16 & 1/32 oz jigheads, from Cabela's.

BG season now being in full swing here, I tried out the new rod 'n' reel in earnest this afternoon. I used whole small earthworms for bait, nightcrawlers being very infrequently present in my wife's garden my worm bed. And with virtually no practice, in 20 minutes I landed three nice BG. (That's a pretty good rate for me; Bruce lands them slightly faster while asleep.)

Pictures can be seen at (Bruce's - who else's?) website, BigBluegill.com

Thanks a heap, Bruce. You're Aces.

P.S. I hereby propose the term "Condello-Rigged" to describe a little piece of worm on a small jighead, being used to catch big BG.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good post, Theo.

Watch out Texas and Carolina--Condello rigging is about to sweep the nation!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
glad you can join the club theo, and sorry nobody let you in on the little secret ;\)

i've been using "worm chunks" w/ cheap flys and/or small jig heads (for spin tackle) since about 1975 or so. its only failed me when water temps were so cold the fish were just plain hunkered down.

i'd be proud to call it "condello rigged".

GSF are people too!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
I bought an ultralight spinning rig (Shimano Solstace Rear Drag and 5'6" Fish Eagle II rod, both for 4 lbs test line) and some 1/16 & 1/32 oz jigheads, from Cabela's.

With apologies to all ultra-light fishermen I offer a counter “fair & balanced opinion.
I want to stand by and watch when you hook a 5# HSB on that MM spin rig on 4# test line....

Excellent rig for BG pond only but strongly disagree on that type tackle for multi-species ponds.
OK for catch and keep but you'll kill your fish if CPR. \:\(

Great looking BG – Congrats…

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Before I get into more trouble with UL fishermen and tackle, I want to share an opinion from Dan Blanton about light tackle.
Dan is a personal friend of mine that is a renowned FF Hall of Fame from northern California that I’m sure DIED is familiar.

Editor-at-Large Fly Fishing in Salt Waters Magazine
Editor-at-Large Fly Fisherman magazine
Editor-at-Large California Fly Fisher

”Here's my take on it and it's just one man's view.

I agree that a lighter line will land softer than a heavier one but water conditions also are a factor. Dead calm, millpond waters obviously require a gentler touch-down and a lighter line will help to accomplish this. The addition of a longer, lighter leader helps too. If the surface is broken a bit by breeze or chop, a heavier line (one or two weights) won't matter much; but in a wind, the heavier line is much easier to cast and control. Sometimes it's a wash.

When it comes to "feeling" the fight and getting more reaction from the fish, big or small, I am convinced that a stiffer rod, a bit heavier than lighter will equate to a better fight and feel. When you hook a small or large fish with a noodle/mushy rod, the fish often doesn't even know it's in trouble and just shakes it's head or dogs it. Hit it with a stiff rod, that let's the angler really yank on its head, and the fish knows instandly that it's in trouble and reacts accordingly. A stiffer, faster rod transmits the fish's fighting energy much bettter to your hands than a mushy, light rod.

It may take you longer to land a large or small fish on a light, soft rod but that doesn't neccessarily equate to a better sense of the fight and a prolonged slugfest doesn't do the fish any good if the angler intends on releasing it.

I often fish a fast 8-wieight for bass and gills and I get just as much out of them and more than if I were using a 6-weight.”

http://www.danblanton.com

I don’t always agree with Blanton on all tackle issues but strongly agree with him on this issue, whether spin, bait casting, or fly tackle.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
George I agree. I recently tried to catch stripers on Lake Texoma using ultralight with six pound test and lost my rig twice before giving up. I would not want to do the same and kill my fish in my pond but I love ultralight tackle and will probably try again.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, did I miss something?

I thought this was a thread about how to catch bluegill. Are you saying that since I have a few dozen hybrids in my pond that I shouldn't use this rig?

I've never killed a single hybrid in my pond from playing him too long. I just take it easy on 'em when it's hot out.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
George, did I miss something?

I thought this was a thread about how to catch bluegill. Are you saying that since I have a few dozen hybrids in my pond that I shouldn't use this rig?

I've never killed a single hybrid in my pond from playing him too long. I just take it easy on 'em when it's hot out.

Bruce, we must have been posting at the same time - did you read Blanton's comments above? Did you note his credentials?
He was addressing BG's - I was addressing BG's.
The diffference is, in our pond I am as likely to hook a 15# CC or GC as a BG.

I knew I was going to get into deep doo-doo when I posted my opinion about UL tackle - even for BG's.

You are an exceptinal angler and I admire your skills on catching big fish on UL tackle but IMO it is not for the novice fisherman.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm sorry. I just thought that the thread was going to be about catching bluegill with a special rigging. It seemed a little early to turn it into a discussion on killing big fish.

Maybe we can start another thread on that.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1

Excellent rig for BG pond only but strongly disagree on that type tackle for multi-species ponds.
OK for catch and keep but you'll kill your fish if CPR. \:\(

I just thought this was a little harsh. I have several friends that fish the same way I do and we don't feel it's a death sentence for every fish that's not a bluegill. In particular in cool water.

I'll guess we can just agree to disagree.

By the way, I use brand new 4 pound test every time I go out, and I can straighten one of those little 1/32 ounce Cabela's hooks before the line will break--so it's not like you can't put some pressure on fish with light line.

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 04/22/08 10:00 AM.

Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
Novice fisherman, here.

Two guys who are probably the most experienced HSB fishermen I know are disagreeing. I wanted to point out that there are definite differences in Summertime water temps and probably dissolved O2 levels between george's Texas and Bruce's Nebraska. I figure that is one very likely reason they see things differently - because things are different.

george, I break enough 10 pound lines on my smaller 8 lbs CC and 3 lbs LMB that I suspect my wipers biggest worry from a 4 pound rig is pierced lips. I will know more after I hook some LMB or CC; they outnumber and outweigh my HSB and should give me some big fight 4 lbs line experience first.

There is no one bait, fishing pole, line weight, or reel suitable for all kinds of fishing. That's part of the beauty of the sport ( and one reason why DD has a garage full of tackle).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Gosh, for over 40 years, probably close to 50 years, I've been using a very similar technique to Bruce's. To the best of my knowledge, I've stressed very few fish -- except maybe those destined for the dinner table.

I've used it very sucessfully against bluegill, small mouth bass, and trout. I don't use a jig, instead I use a #4 or #2 light wire, non-offset gold hook and an appropriately sized split shot about 12 inches up from the hook. I almost always crush the barb. I mostly use a piece of worm to completely cover the hook, but I also use the whole range of Gulp products.

The wire hook is thin enough that it will generally straighten if pulled hard enough -- like from a big fish or a log -- even with 4# line. I prefer this type of hook to a jig because I can get a bigger hook with a longer shank. Thus, far fewer fish are able to swallow the hook.

In my pond I have hooked a few big catfish on this, but they quickly staightened the hook. Most of the larger bass just turn up their noses at such a measly meal.

Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 04/22/08 11:45 AM. Reason: grammar

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I'm sorry. I just thought that the thread was going to be about catching bluegill with a special rigging. It seemed a little early to turn it into a discussion on killing big fish.
Maybe we can start another thread on that.

Ok, if we are speaking strictly about rigging tackle for BG I'll run up the white flag and surrender - but I'll take this in another direction.
I can rig the same small worm tipped 1/32 oz jig and fish effectively on fly tackle - without worrying about 4# test line, but with a 4# mono equivalent leader with a 12# break strength.

I recall that you don't like GSP braid, but I don't like changing 4# test mono after each time on the water.

Maybe it's north/south – warm/cold water thing about killing fish on light tackle .

Bruce, you are my mentor as far as HSB is concerned, but if you had spent as much time on the water as I have the past 20 years you would likely be broke and divorced by now – fortunately my wife is my best fishing partner.

Structure is also an issue in ponds as well as all bodies of water.
Bruce, how much structure do you have in your ponds?
Theo?

Cat, what size line and tackle do you catch those monstor CC?
Oh, excuse me – back to rigging ultra lite for BG.
I thought it appropriate to offer a different point of view…

Sorry about high–jacking the tread – I be gone now...
\:D \:\/ \:\(

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My ponds have virtually no structure, just because I love to use light line for bluegill so much. I have a buddy who has a pond with so much structure in the way of trees that I don't dare use 4 pound test, but I do use 6 pound. When I use Berkley Trilene 6 pound test brand new I can literally pull a 12 foot aluminum boat to the snag with it, provided the hook doesn't straighten. I get so many more bluegill bites with 4 pound test than heavier line it isn't even funny. When I get a big fish and the water is cooler like it is now, I just enjoy the fight and keep maximum pressure so the fight is short. I agree with everything George has said, I was just questioning the use of this thread to talk about it.

I think Ken's assessment of the use of lighter hooks is very accurate. If you fish as much as I do you learn which hooks will fail before the line does, and you use those. It works really slick. I was fishing my pond a couple of days ago and I kept getting snagged on one little clump of trees next to the dock and I straightened the hook each time, then reeled it in, realigned the hook and went back to fishing. Best of both worlds; Light line for good presentation and light hook to "quick release" hybrids and snags. \:\) \:\)

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Use kernal corn from the store...it will catch everything in the pond and is cheap,cheap cheap...this past saturday along with countless bluegill I caught two 2 lb bass and a 6 lb channel cat. just tight lining with a 1/32oz jighead, 4lb test and an ultalight. You can use a tiny cork too.....Oh, they didnt die....didnt even come close, and all were lip hooked as usual...I have never killed a fish with ul tackle. Ive been using the method since the 70s when I use to fish for Crappie/trout on Lake Isabella in southern,CA.

Last edited by Sgt911; 04/24/08 08:39 AM.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
how much structure do you have in your ponds?
Theo?

Not very much in the BG pond, george. On the South shore, there is just Robby the Robot and two tire structure companions - they are marked with a float. Off the North shore there are three deep water rock/tile piles; I don't fish over there much. Along the dam, there are some plastic pipe structures on the bottom; I don't fish there often either. Out in the middle stands Harry the pink granite boulder (who should be fairly snag-free), but I can't cast that far with a 1/32 oz jighead.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
[quote=george1
Cat, what size line and tackle do you catch those monstor CC?
Oh, excuse me – back to rigging ultra lite for BG.
I thought it appropriate to offer a different point of view…

Sorry about high–jacking the tread – I be gone now...
\:D \:\/ \:\( [/quote]

For catfish, I've got a big old closed face Johnson reel with 17 lb. test on a fairly old and stout 6-foot Shakespeare rod. I also have a couple of old 6-foot saltwater "jetty" rods that are very stout. Both have large open face reels, and I believe they currently have 24# line. I mainly use 4/0 or 6/0 circle hooks for the cats.

Now, back to light weight rigging . . .

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Bruce wrote: "By the way, I use brand new 4 pound test every time I go out.."

Great buddy! Real good for the environment!!!!

(OK, kidding, just kidding...Kumbaya, Kumbaya.....)

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

(OK, kidding, just kidding...Kumbaya, Kumbaya.....)

Yea Yea,and what about all the empty beer bottles,Mr enviroment \:D \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i'll bet sunil recycles..

GSF are people too!

Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

Bruce donates his old line to the less fortunate fishermen.

Which is just about all the rest of us.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I knew there was a back-story.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Let me attempt to put this thread back on tract because it obviously is very important subject to more folks than I realized, but also understand and respect my position that when I offer a counter opinion it is with respect and usually from lack of understanding.

I will attempt to do so, but I have been taught early in life that when you remain silent in differing opinion, you are effectively agreeing with the subject.

Bruce, Cody, Baird and more recently Theo, have taken me from considering BG as “bait “ to an appreciation of the species.

I have made NO attempt to grow large BG’s – call it serendipity if you choose, but it has been strictly by accident.
I have not and will not attempt to target them exclusively or take special measures to grow record BG.

It has been and will continue to be a challenge for me to grow a 10-11 inch, 1 - 1.5# gill in a ”natural” multi-species pond environment, in contrast to serious BG aficionados that raise a 2# gill by building special ponds, over wintering in RAS systems, and selective breeding.

To get back on tract, how do you keep from “gut hooking” BG on a 1/32oz worm tipped jig?
Special rigging?
Technique?
Experience, or all of the above?

Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
How about dumb luck, george? So far with this rig, I'm 6 for 6 on BG being liphooked, and 1 for 1 on catfish. For the record, I try not to fowl hook ANY fish, regradless of method, but I'm not afraid to eat my mistakes. Kind of like Homer Simpson after he mistakenly gave his pet lobster "Mr. Pinchy" a final bath in HOT!!! water.

Bruce has so much experience with this method, he will have a very good idea of what % of fish are hooked where. FWIW, he did tell me to use barbless hooks.

BTW, until I start putting male-only BG in my second pond later this year or next (and, yes, handfeeding portly gills in a PBR all next Winter), my big BG efforts are also confined to a mixed-species pond with a breeding population of gills. Can you please tell me how to accidentally get mine BG up to 11" like yours? (I figure your whole pond must be managed pretty well.)

-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Lots of food (natural and feeders), long warm growing season and little competition - having CNBG helps on the very high end.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images