Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bill Cody, Dave Davidson1, FishinRod, Bucyrus22B, Rangersedge, JPierson, MidwestCass, catscratch, Boondoggle), 1,069 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
We can send folks to the moon but can't guarantee finding water when we drill a well (or oil I guess). Science is strange stuff.

Dave I've read that 3rd paragraph three times. The only sense that I can make of it is that you have rocks, real hard rocks.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
He lost me with the jackass mental volcano.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Dave - Do you have a geology background? It sounds like you have shallow well experience.

The fact that the productive fractures are quartz-filled is good news, it means the fracture system is old. When we frac oil wells, the fractures are vertical and the azimuth (compass direction) depends on the rock stresses. California is still tectonically very active (rocks layers pushing and pulling each other). Since the stress field is different now, compared to when the old fractures formed, any new induced fractures should cross-cut the old fractures.

Instead of drilling into one fracture, theoretically you could intersect 15 fractures at 10 GPM and have a 150 GPM well. The fact that no drillers in your area perform this service, probably means I have something wrong with applying it to your situation.

The fact that the rocks are very hard to drill is not really a problem. We couldn't drill through diamond-filled fractures because the diamond is so hard it can't be abraded (cut) by our bit. However, tap your wife's big ol' diamond with a hammer and see what happens. (I take that back, don't tap her diamond with a hammer. Lunkers may be able to give pond advice that eventually leads to a divorce. Fingerlings should make sure they don't give out that kind of advice.)

There are several problems I can imagine with the fracture treatment. In oil and gas wells (deep wells) the lithostatic pressure is high so the fractures form vertically. In near-surface fracturing, the new fractures may form horizontally between the rock layers. This still may not be a problem if your natural fractures are not also horizontal.

The biggest problem I forsee is keeping the fracture "in the zone". Our oil fracture treatments are usually limited by the burst strength of our steel tubulars. Our casing is cemented into the well with high-quality cement and allowed to set for a week before fracturing. We can get plenty of pressure at the surface to fracture the oil reservoir at depth. However, if you blow out through your casing, or fracture up your cement sheath into a water zone, then you have a good chance of ruining your whole well.

There is a way to run 420' of steel tubing in your well and use a packer to keep the pressure off of your well casing during the fracture treatment. The fracture pressure will seek the easiest path. I fear that in a shallow water well, the easiest path will be back up to the surface through your grout around the casing.

I know there have been a lot of high dollar groundwater remediation projects in California. They may have fractured some shallow wells in these projects to aid in the clean-up. If you know an expert in this field, you might ask them how they performed fracturing treatments (if they did any).

Tom - I hope that answered some of your questions. If you have a more specific question ask it in this thread (if that is proper PB etiquitte).

PB Regulars - I have an unusual pond-building situation. I have all kinds of idiot schemes to make it work. I need to get out and get some more survey levels to do a better design. Then I will open a new thread so you guys can help "de-idiotfy" my plans.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Fishinrod,yes,thank you.It answered quite a bit and I understood most of it.
If you need help coming up with idiot ideas,let me know,what I cant come up with,other members here can.I havent had the pleasure of meeting them yet,but I can sure name a bunch of em \:o \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Just my 2 cents on the calculation for the gpm on the well. 1 acre, 1 foot deep has 320,000 gallons of water. If you are 5 acres down x 4' depth the formula is 5 x 4 = 20, then 20 x 320,000.
Hope this helps.
Otto

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
fishinrod, yer discussion of stress fields is fascinating. in my area of the sierra foothills, the predominant structural trend of faulting, paleo fracture, metamorphic foliation and cleavage (settle down JHAP) is northwest/southeast with more than one generation of cross-cutting intrusions (quartz veins). what does any of that mean for finding water, and/or attempting to drive (hyrdro) fractures in good directions? i dont have a clue.

well as i said fishinrod, food for thought. i can only imagine the wife's reaction at the cost to get another rig out here, run 420 foot of steel casing down, perform a maneuver that could either give us water, not give us water, or ruin the well... \:o but to answer yer question, yes on the geology background. igneous petrography, geochemistry, and applied geol. (site investigation/remediation).........and BTW, lookin forward to yer "idiotific" pond plans \:\)

otto, that always amazes me......and i try not think about this anymore.....grasp the fact that 1 acre of water 1-inch deep is about 27,000 gallons, which if yer evap rate is 1-inch a day (which it can be here), and no other water supply, you would need a steady ~18 gpm well running 24/7 to keep up a 1 acre pond.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FishinRod we will definitely help any way we can! Make sure if you start the thread and I don't jump in that you find a way to get my attention, because I am the abolute KING of idiot plans! \:\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Lakel I priced a well for just the same reason. The trinity aquafer where I have my pond is about 700 feet deep. Going that deep for that much water with a seven horse pump was going to cost around eighty thousand dollars. I think he said one of the biggest factors in the cost was the size of the steel casing needing to be eight inches. The guy that I had price it for me drills water wells for the gas companies. Needless to say I didn't do it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward