Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This brings me right back to my original point about location within the pond. If that cove was 1/3 acre or more, you would have a good plan. I believe (?) it is much smaller. As it stands, if you do not capture the entire area with geotex fab, everthing around will grow over. How deep is the deepest area within the cove zone?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
This brings me right back to my original point about location within the pond. If that cove was 1/3 acre or more, you would have a good plan. I believe (?) it is much smaller. As it stands, if you do not capture the entire area with geotex fab, everthing around will grow over. How deep is the deepest area within the cove zone?

I think I misunderstood your post Brettski, sorry. The pond will end up being about 2/3 to 3/4 of an acre. The deepest spot in the cove area I think I can get is just a hair over 4 feet deep, so pretty shallow. That's because of the lesser slope for swimming of course.

I've been thinking and I hate to keep going back and forth with things, but last weekend I cleared out a spot on that west side of the jetty and now I'm thinking maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea to put it over there. More open water and still close to the jetty. Man, my dirt guy's going to bury me this weekend.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Its your pond and will be for generations of users. The dirt guy can easily change locations.

I like putting the beach next to the pier on the point not in the cove.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Its your pond and will be for generations of users. The dirt guy can easily change locations.

I like putting the beach next to the pier on the point not in the cove.

Yep, now I'm flipflopping here. Is that common? \:D

Thinking of now going this route with it. Since clearing, there's a nice little tree right on that point that'll be a nice edge of the swimming area/dock. And I think the dock and kind of be a nice separator from the rest of the pond.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
For the record, a real good pond builder would have recognized what you're doing and would have made strong suggestions to either support or challenge your plans. I think I would take that approach of "looking for his help and tapping his years of experience" to help avoid a poor logistical decision for a nice beach. My NRCS guy once told me nothing trumps ground truth when it comes to preparing excavation. Let your dirt guy help you make the decision. If, after you consider all we have discussed here, he says that a beach and swimming area would work out just fine within the cove, perhaps you will have learned something about HIS expertise and wisdom.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
For the record, a real good pond builder would have recognized what you're doing and would have made strong suggestions to either support or challenge your plans. I think I would take that approach of "looking for his help and tapping his years of experience" to help avoid a poor logistical decision for a nice beach. My NRCS guy once told me nothing trumps ground truth when it comes to preparing excavation. Let your dirt guy help you make the decision. If, after you consider all we have discussed here, he says that a beach and swimming area would work out just fine within the cove, perhaps you will have learned something about HIS expertise and wisdom.

My dirt guy is only that, a dirt guy. Not a pond guy. It's his first pond. He's very good at moving dirt, he's been doing it his whole life, but I've had to instruct him and watch him very closely. And I don't really know what I'm doing of course, I'm very new to all of this. I rely very heavily on this forum for guidance and the help of good local guys like TJ to offer advice. I think I was a bit stubborn in my plans for keeping the swimming area isolated, but I appreciate the no nonsense answers and opinions you guys are so good at giving here. This will be a pond built by PondBoss, that's for sure. I'm just the laborer.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is a long distance pic.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Man, Ewest. You have always been humble and held back on showing off your diamonds. I think it's a way to hold the audience captive, cuz when you do let a nice shot of one of your ponds loose, it's always a mesmerizing beaut'.
V nice

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker

\:\)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Omaha

My dirt guy is only that, a dirt guy. Not a pond guy. It's his first pond. He's very good at moving dirt, he's been doing it his whole life, but I've had to instruct him and watch him very closely. And I don't really know what I'm doing of course, I'm very new to all of this. I rely very heavily on this forum for guidance and the help of good local guys like TJ to offer advice. I think I was a bit stubborn in my plans for keeping the swimming area isolated, but I appreciate the no nonsense answers and opinions you guys are so good at giving here. This will be a pond built by PondBoss, that's for sure. I'm just the laborer.

Josh - that makes two of us...pondmeisters owing a lot to the forum. IMO I think your potential switch to the jetty might make your happier in the long run. I realize your uncle is gonna roll his eyes, but remember you get one shot at this unless you want to breach the dam and start all over. Take your time, get it right - don't suffer my fate and lose your opportunity to create contours and beaches before it's all underwater!

Your passion is infectious - keep knocking on Bski he's a visionary and can help you flesh out this dream. Read his early posts from 06. Have you checked out his website? Turn up your speakers. http://www.libertynaturepreserve.com

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 10/01/09 09:14 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My vote would be for keeping the beach out of the cove.

There's a public access area near the house on the lake. It's silted over in the early spring, but the people swimming in it stir it up enough to wash any silt away. It's about 2' deeper than the surrounding water depth as well, probably due to no siltation. It wasn't a beach to start, but over the years it's turned into one, sandy bottom and all. No sand was transported in, but there is a lot of sand in the surrounding soil.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O

That water looks so calm. Very cool. \:\)

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
 Originally Posted By: Omaha

Josh - that makes two of us...pondmeisters owing a lot to the forum. IMO I think your potential switch to the jetty might make your happier in the long run. I realize your uncle is gonna roll his eyes, but remember you get one shot at this unless you want to breach the dam and start all over. Take your time, get it right - don't suffer my fate and lose your opportunity to create contours and beaches before it's all underwater!

You're right. I've thought it through over and over and will head out there this weekend to really get a good look at it and I think I'm convinced this is the way to go. Now I just need to get a hold of some more PVC!

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Your passion is infectious - keep knocking on Bski he's a visionary and can help you flesh out this dream. Read his early posts from 06. Have you checked out his website? Turn up your speakers. http://www.libertynaturepreserve.com

I've read most of the documentation of Bski's projects and continue to be impressed. I'll check out his website too. Thanks. You guys are awesome.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I will get a better pic of the beach. Thanks for the compliments guys. B'ski your pond view from the second floor in progress is every bit as beautiful as mine. So are many others (see B'ski's Pondapalooza I & II on his LNP web site).

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Pic from Bill Cody.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images