Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 838 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lunker
Lunker
tj:

I think breeding SMB with single sex LMB would eliminate many of the difficulties experienced if the LMB population were also breeding. The LMB would still be top o' the heap in predation, but the impact on the SMB would be limited along with LMB numbers.

SMB are supposed to feed train easier than LMB (I intend to find out about that in 3-5 years), so one could pellet train (some of) the SMB, which might even out the above remaining bias to some extent.

I have referred your question for Mr. Gallus to my Dad ;\) , Grandpa Gallus having passed some years ago.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You could end up with LMB X SMB crosses.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Ewest/Theo: Thank you for both taking time to respond. Sounds as though it's a worthwhile effort on my part to attempt the project - the SMB might stand a fighting chance. I've never read anything about LMB/SMB hybrids - I will do so now.

Ewest - eager to hear your Dad's feedback. Sorry bout the formality - force of habit at my job here all day!

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
pondsea Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
TJ I called Anderson Farms yesterday and talked to Max. Sort of like asking a quesiton on this site. You get a lot more than you bargained for. Anyway, they do ship out a box of 250K min order of GSH fry when they are available this spring. The price was around $250. Max was really helpful. Gave me more nifo than I asked for, and seemed to care about whether I did things the right way. Anyway, he recommended waiting on a plankton bloom before dumping in all those fry. In the mean time, I might just do some adult FH and feed them. With all the rain we are having though I can't get down to the water without getting ten pounds of mud on my boots. So I might wait a few weeks for it to dry up some anyway.

"Just pondering."

Subscriber! No brainer...I already saved $11,343 dollars and 45 cents on all the free consulting advice on the web site forum!
Lunker
Lunker
Thank you Pondsea - I may PM you for some details or buzz the Anderson's myself. I don't think GSH will do well this far North [Zone 5] but am really interested in establishing and hopefully keeping a nice breeding stock of FH so I can constantly feed the pond[s]. Sounds like more work than I need to trouble with, but I have this ITCH developing over the past couple months that just won't go away - and all I want to do is breed and selectively stock and sell fish! If my wife had any idea of what I was running through my mind in my office all night on this forum she'd lock up the checkbook and have me committed. Please keep in touch and let me know how that great project of yours comes along - I'm right behind you and can use any advice you have.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bob-O, interesting question and I'm not sure how well fatheads orient to structure except when spawning. I generally find bunches of them pretty well dispersed and quite often in shallower water (sometimes less than 2 to 3 inches)that is devoid of cover. I have also walked the perimeter of a small pond tossing food to them. I have a bunch of one to five ft deep brush structure in the upper end of one of my my ponds. It sticks out of the water and I often tossed feed into it. Never saw a fathead there, just BG.

About 3 years ago, I stocked a guys pond who wanted no brush cover. I put some decent sized logs and tree stumps in the water. They extended from the bank into about 4 ft. of water and were weighted on the end. The fatheads did use them for spawning.

Their value as a kick off forage is that they are a slow swimming, shallow water fish. However, I once saw a pretty good sized school of them fleeing some newly stocked CCs about 50 yds from shore. Of course, I have no idea where the herding started.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...