Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in learning a few tricks to casting a flyrod at the conference? I think it would be awesome to learn to flyfish, especially geared for pond fishing!

George mentioned in an earlier thread that he would be willing to help organize the "seminar, booth, area, hands on demonstration, or whatever you would call it"

Just seeing if there is any interest?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm sure there will be interest. How it fits into the whole program probably needs to be discussed.

Last year, there was so much to do and not enough time.

Perhaps an early morning intro would work. You know, before the main program starts?

I wlll add that with fly fishing, it is very important to learn the basics correctly and not develop bad habits early on.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

I wlll add that with fly fishing, it is very important to learn the basics correctly and not develop bad habits early on.

Sunil,I think all I have is bad habits.Why should I think about changing at this stage of the game?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You're gonna love this, TOM G....

....It all depends.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D

Perhaps an early morning intro would work. You know, before the main program starts?

I see what's going on. Sunil is secretly against flyfishing. We all know Sunil won't make it to the beginning of the main program, much less any "early morning intro."

He'll stumble in about 9:30 am with a venti Starbucks coffee and wonder why everyone is already in the second small-group session.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Lunker
Lunker
David, did you actually see him drinking coffee last year?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think so?? Hmmmm...I know for sure he stumbled in late, cofee or no coffee. \:\)

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
All;

Sorry for hopping on the post...just a moment to fire a question: When/where is the PB conference and are uninvited fingerlings welcome? I'm a flyshooter myself, but to this point only for cuts and bows on MT streams - but would benefit from pond flycasting instruction. Further, I am about to develop 5 ponds with my pal - Sensei Condello, and would love to share the story and learn more in person regarding pond management.

Fingerling out.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Ah, never mind, I see it's PLAINLY laid out on the home page for PB. Hope to meet some of you there.

Fingerling out

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa

I see what's going on. Sunil is secretly against flyfishing. We all know Sunil won't make it to the beginning of the main program, much less any "early morning intro."

He'll stumble in about 9:30 am with a venti Starbucks coffee and wonder why everyone is already in the second small-group session.

I also have it on good authority that Sunil also hates puppies,kittens, and babies.........

Also this description sounds eerily like me at last years PB conv. "He'll stumble in about 9:30 am with a venti Starbucks coffee and wonder why everyone is already in the second small-group session"

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Knowing Sunil for just one conference................it had to be "Irish" coffee.

I would like to apologize to anyone that took offense to the last comment about the ethnicity that might be implied...... I just meant "spiked" java. \:\)

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Ah, never mind, I see it's PLAINLY laid out on the home page for PB. Hope to meet some of you there.

Fingerling out

You're thinking of going?

Awesome. You won't believe the number of committed pondmeisters all in one place. Actually I should rephrase that...I meant people who need to be committed......

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
teehjaeh57 we would welcome you as everyone is invited. I hope to meet you there.

Bob is aware of the interest in this and should be working as much as possible into the schedule.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Fattay, my middle name is "Paddy."

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
back on point, we can give Sunil a hard time most anytime.

I think the diff in the PB conference is that it is science related with a common sense spin so most pond owners can grasp the concepts. I would not want to have too many too far off managing your pond, none of the topics on what lures to use to catch bass, you can go to those seminars at local BPS or Cabelas. Plus this is what we talk abotu over a few beers.

However 100% agree on one "diff style" topic for hands on learning and think this to be the best idea. If George can handle it put it on a couple of times so we can have better chance to make it to one of them.
My 2 cents submitted.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Greg, point well taken.
You couldn’t pay me good money to go to a “bass seminar” at BPS or Cabelas – I’m just not interested in that stuff.

Nor could you pay me enough to make me sit through endless presentations from world-renowned fisheries scientists.

The conference last year was a blast because I could pick what I was interested in …when I could get loose from tyin’ ”pellet flies”...
Quite frankly, I enjoyed the general sessions the most, next to visiting and discussing areas of common interest with my new/old PB friends.

IMO, diversity is what PB is all about...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
George/Bob/Mods.

Why can't we have a flyfishing demo/booth set up similar to the other "spin off" sessions that were at the conference last year? If a person is interrested and chooses to spend his time learning how to cast a fly line and pick up some pearls about flyfishing on small waters then so be it. If that same person wants to go listen to some other lecture/workshop about the physics of aereation he can do that as well. That is the greatness of the Pondboss Conference! I agree with George in that diversity is a good thing.

I have lurked on this site long enough to know that there are a significant number of people who are interrested in fly fishing. I think if there is an opportunity to have certified casting instructors there, we should jump on the opportunity. Others have said they would not care for a BPS type lecture on bass lures, BUT I bet that if Mr. Ray Scott sat down and talked about what he like to use, all of our ears would be perked up. My point is I believe there will be enough people there with enough diversifed interest to justify some of these "peripheral" activities.

My $.02

Eddie

I WANT BOB'S JOB!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good post, Eddie.

I've never fly-fished in my life, and I know I'd be interested in a fly-fishing session. I'd love to learn how.

I think you, George, and Greg are spot-on with your analysis of the conference. Last year, I was impressed that there was something for everyone. No matter your approach to ponds and fishing in general, there will be something to learn and enjoy.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Good news, I have a friend in a major fly rod manufacturing company that has “volunteered” to assist me in any fly fishing related PB conference subject that is decided.

Not only a professional fly fishing staff member, but also a TAMU graduate fisheries biologist.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
George,
I dont know much about flyrods, 8-wieghts, 3-weights, graphite, wood, lenghth, reels, floating line, sinking line, connecting backing to leader, leader lenghths, etc. I know of flyfishing, but dont know what would gear would be best for me (and other beginners) to get started.

Do you have a recommendation for a starter package for beginners fishing for various sizes and species of fish in a pond. I would like to get some gear, but dont know where to start.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Nate, there are some good quality “beginner” flyrod/reel combinations available from Cabelas, BPS and other sources, but I would shy away from the Wallyworld combo sets.
Prices range from around $100 to $200 bucks but I prefer to cry once for quality instead of crying twice for junk.

I would start with 9 ft 5/6 wt rod and a floating line.
This size rod will catch and land any fish in your pond but in time you will want to step up to a heavier rod to throw big bass bugs.
I will PM you my preference.

It’s really a simple and fun way to fish, so I don’t want to get complicated because like anything else there is room to grow and lots of options.
We’ll talk about these at the PB conference.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I am pumped up about the prospect of learning to flyfish for 2008!
Got my starter combo picked out. I am going to go with the 9' 4-piece 5/6 weight kit from Temple Fork Outfitters. $189 includes rod, reel, line, leader, and case.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good call, Nate.

I think I'll get myself a similar setup. You and George have piqued my interest in flyfishing. I know I'll enjoy learning something new and challenging.

Lunker
Lunker
N8ly/davasta

Sorry to butt in, but I wanted to say I think it's awesome you gentlemen are interested in fly fishing - it takes fishing to a much different [challenging] level - and IMO - much more rewarding. I would agree entirely with George - don't skimp on your blank - especially not if you're planning on shooting dries on Montana streams once you become addicted, like myself and probaly George. If the wallet can stand it Thomas/Thomas, Sage, Winston and Orvis are in my collection and load and fire VERY well...and again, once you're addicted you have something that's VERY competent in making challenging casts with #20 Elk Hair Caddis against a 15 mph cross wind 25 yards out! If you are planning on keeping it to chugging plugs for bass or poppers for gills you can definitely get away with a floating line setup 5 to 6 weight, as George indicated, for under 2 bills and not get so carried away like I tend to do with brand names and such. Pro Fly guides are an esoteric/slightly snobbish bunch and I hated it when they looked down their noses at my LL Bean 6 wt for years - so I finally succumbed...and then some. Makes for a nice "business expense" ; - )!
Hope to learn with you gentlemen about pond flycasting at the conference.

Fingerling out

Lunker
Lunker
Ewest/BCDDS

Thanks guys, I am eager to meet you all and thank you properly for all the direction you provide and the enthusiasm with which you do it! I've definitely caught the bug.
I do look forward to making it down for a day prior and getting some Alligator gar fishing or something likewise exotic. Bruce, can you send all emergencies to another Dentist and get away for a day prior. Anyone else want to catch a dinosaur?

Fingerling

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM