Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,957
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod, Jason D, Perch Pond, Augie), 1,471 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#111868 03/18/08 08:46 AM
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Same question as the snow melt driveway, but not limited to Northerners...

Any guidance on this from you guys?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #111872 03/18/08 09:04 AM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
My company has done quite a few video security systems for liquor stores. I assume you are after more of a burglary type system?

No, we don't work for beer!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #111883 03/18/08 10:27 AM
Lunker
Lunker
IME Security Companies will not melt snow off your driveway.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 03/18/08 10:28 AM. Reason: Sorry, Sunil - I couldn't stop myself.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
My Security System clears snow off of my driveway. Warren lives across the street from my business, keeps a shotgun under his bed and has a cannon in the side yard. When it snows he is up at dawn clearing the driveway and loading docks with his Kubota.

Bing

All this is true

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Bing #111936 03/18/08 09:40 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
My security system eats WAY too much. Give him enough to drink and he can probably melt snow off the driveway as well. He will "go" on command!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My brother has a security system at his house. Paid big bucks for it. My security system is my dog. Barks at every little noise outside. To me that's cheaper than an electronic security system. You also don't have to worry about accidentally setting it off!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Sunil, we recently installed new wireless motion detectors feeding a common receiver, so we can know when someone is in the driveway or the house or barn parking lots. You can record different alarms for each detector. The system can handle up to 6 detectors. Let me know if this is anything like what you are interested in; I can get the specs, etc. from our Security Officer.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dogs are certainly a good option. I just wondered if anyone had any input as to which "house" systems were good or not so good.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #112198 03/20/08 01:45 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Don't know about your area but be aware of "free" hardware. If you decide to discontinue the service, they take their stuff back. You are left with a hole in the wall.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Good point. Thanks Guv.

Sunil #112278 03/20/08 09:26 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
So you aren't interested in video security then?

It can be used for other purposes when you are home. \:D \:D

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #112289 03/20/08 10:00 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sunil,

I probably shouldn't say this publicly, but I don't presently have my security system re-installed. Where we lived three years ago, our road was literally inherited by drug dealers, and worse. I put in quite a few safeguards that at least helped me document some problems.

Lately, my worst intruder has been a blind horse, that we mistakenly thought was looking in our bedroom window.

When our serious murderer/drug-dealer/burglary problems started, our local COSTCO had some wonderful equipment. I bought a 1296 hour VHS recorder for about $200. They had a four-camera surveillance system -- I just don't remember the cost, but I think it too was a couple of hundred dollars. I got a wireless security system from Radio Shack that called me when any of the alarms went off. It had glass breakage alarms, several motion sensor alarms, and a few other bells and whistles. It accepted a motion input from my video system. Plus, it had a microphone feature that allowed me to hear what was going on in the house. I think it was less than $300.

Technology-wise, things have only gotten better. We also got a new sheriff who put away, or chased away, a big percentage of the real trouble makers. No beatings or shootings in my front yard since Easter Sunday morning of 2001! Not a murder or attempted body sinking within a 1000 yards of my pond in over four years!

I'd start by talking to neighbors. There are a lot of really good systems available. It just depends on how much you want to spend, and how you want the system to report a problem. If you know some of the local law enforcement, it might be worth a lunch with some of them.

Regards,
Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 03/20/08 10:17 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Lately, my worst intruder has been a blind horse, that we mistakenly thought was looking in our bedroom window.

Now that's funny Ken!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sunil,
What are you looking for? A security system with a monthly monitoring contract or just a home based type system with some type of alarm to deter an intruder. Dont forget about the monthly fees if you sign a contract with terms, some of them are very expensive.

Dreaming of the pond!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Quote:

Now that's funny Ken!

The best part was when I went to my "next door" neighbor. From another neighbor, I already knew it was one of her horses. I told her that I had a blind horse in my front yard. She said she didn't have any blind horses, nor were any of her multitude of horses missing (she has several hundred acres of poorly fenced property, and she cares for many dogs, cats, and horses that each have a myriad of issues.)

I told her that I was sure it was one of her horses. I described the horse. She asked me at least another dozen questions, then told me that it was only blind in one eye, and because it didn't have an eyelid on the other eye, the flies kept it from seeing from that eye! Yeesh! Her and her 80+ year-old mother came and retrieved the horse.

Fast forward six months.

This past Monday morning we had a light snow. I was headed to work a little late. As I headed out the county road, the blind horse was standing in the middle of the road. My conscious asked if I should knock on the lady's door, or should I call the sheriff. I did neither. When I returned home about 14 hours later, the blind horse was inside the fence line.

Sunil -- maybe you should think about moving across the border. Sometimes life on this side is not only humorous, but also a lot less stressful. (I've got seven acres of WV mountain-top with a WV "metal mansion" for sale at a real good price if you are interested -- sorry, no pond. All white sand and rocks.)

Life is good in West Virginia,
Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 03/20/08 11:28 PM. Reason: Metal Mansion Sale

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,

I'll bet you have some stories that would make it on Pure Praire Companion or whatever that radio show is called.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If I had a security camera in the back with a monitor in my shop to watch for those two legged feathered varmits what would it cost? Kind of like you see at the fast food drive ups to watch for customers.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If I had a security camera in the back with a monitor in my shop to watch for those two legged feathered varmits what would it cost? Kind of like you see at the fast food drive ups to watch for customers.

Here is one from Walmart: Wireless Security Camera

Heck, with system like this, your varmints could place special orders from the pond!

I've seen them as low as $39.95 at places like Home Depot and Lowes.

Lunker
Lunker

Probably not a lot of taxidermy shops with a drive-up window, Cecil. You could start a trend.

-S. M. Stirling
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm just looking for something to make my wife feel better when I'm not around.

My assortment of HK USPs and S&Ws offer that feeling to me when I'm there.

I really don't need video. I think I need something for the windows and doors to deter break-ins and notify the police if the proverbial shat hits the fan.

Sunil #112360 03/21/08 12:48 PM
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Sunil, I have this system from Q-see, bought from Costco. Costco item # 186513. It might seem a little expensive, however my stereo equipment, to replace, would run around 20-25 thousand. So it just didn't seem too outrageous for me. Plus video evidence can be used in a court of law. I really like getting live video feeds on my cell phone too. I hope this helps you, as you have helped me in so many ways, with your knowledge of ponds, fish, habitat,etc. Good luck. I am curious why you say "I really don't need video" though?

I have buried the hatchet.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thanks for the input, 40y.o.v.

While I don't have that kind of costs built up in my stereo system, I'd hate to lose my collection of spores, molds, and fungi.

I haven't looked into any type of home security equipment in a long, long time, so I don't know what all is out there.

While I hate to say it, there's been so much to dig into for the new home construction that I just don't have the energy to educate myself on all the latest in home security systems.

As for this: "...you have helped me in so many ways, with your knowledge of ponds, fish, habitat,etc." You are kidding right?

Sunil #112378 03/21/08 02:10 PM
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
I wish I could say I was kidding, but I am not an intelligent man when it comes to ponds, so I keep coming back everyday, to learn more and more from you and the other brothers and sisters on this inCREDIBLE site. Thank You again, sincerely.

I have buried the hatchet.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sunil,
I friend of mine purchased this system last year and I helped him install it. It was pretty straight forward and tech support was excellent for clarification on hook up. He didnt get a contract for 24/7 monitoring but has the alarm call numerous phone numbers if an alarm is tripped. He loves the system and has had no problems with it. He really is obsessed with electronic gadgets and loves the remote to arm and disarm the system. It is extremely loud also is it goes off and his neighbors can definitely hear it, I think it has to due with the fact he mounted a siren on the front and rear of the house.

Dreaming of the pond!
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Brian, that sounds like something I'd like to look into. If you have any more details, please let me know.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana