Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 650 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks for asking rmedgar.

I've been so busy lately I decided to set the colony free. My container wasn't sufficient to protect the larvae from freezing temperatures.

I've been in New Hampshire for 2 weeks now volunteering for a political campaign so I couldn't have monitored the BSF. When I get back home I'll try to find the time to start up again.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I'd like to start up a project like that. I'll read back thru the thread and see if
I can figure it out. If you have any suggestions, I'd love tho hear them.
Thanks, Randy
PS - good luck in the campaign. Like everyone, I have my preferrence, but
I can live with anybody except one, and I hope you're not supporting her.
I won't mention any names, because Eric will nail me again.

Just do it...
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
This thread should cover everything you need to know, but don't hesitate to ask me for details.

My candidate is easy to identify. He's the only one who respects the Constitution and individual rights.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Edit: duplicate post

Last edited by GW; 04/21/13 06:32 PM.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
For anyone interested in raising BSFL there is now a commercial unit that will make it very simple. This is from ESR, the same company that initially inspired me to try raising BSFL.

http://thebiopod.com/index.html

Lunker
Lunker
GW, are you gonna fire up the 'ole Maggo-Matic again when the weather warms up?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Sure am. I'm thinking that this last cold front was the last freezing temps we'll have for a while. I could have kept the colony going through the winter, but I didn't have the extra time to set it up properly.

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
GW,

I have read your POST with ABSOLUTE delight. It's amazing to see you ultra positive experience with black soldier fly. I also like your video on the pig meal... that looks like an amazing colony you had going.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I'm very happy that you found my post tbp. I'm curious if you found it through an internet search engine.

I have really enjoyed learning about BSF and much of what I know came from reading your father's work. I've read every lecture/article of his that I could find. I'm very impressed with how he has positioned himself in the business world in a way that benefits everyone. I wish you all the best of luck with getting the biopod to the market. At some point I'll be a customer.

I also want to say that my heart goes out to you for dealing with the "yuck" factor. It must be supremely frustrating to have an elegant solution to such an important issue and then to have to deal with that. I haven't been following much lately, but I'm curious if you have made progress in Brazil and Viet Nam. I would imagine that people in other cultures might be more open to alternatives like those represented by BSF.

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
GW,

You are absolutely right about people in other countries. i think we will have a real success in vietnam. Especially since they are one of the largest cat fish producers in the world. However, in the west the Juk factor is there.

I saw the video on the dallas school teacher and the maggot art. I have contacted her and hope her video can be used as the anti-juk conversion tool, haha. Anyway... if you would like we would love to share your videos on our website also... is there a way you can youtube them? or give as an html iscript?

-RLO
PS: found this blog through google analytics and thank you for bringing traffic to our site. It's not much...but since we are so different you actually rank very high (lol). So perhaps we can link you EXCELLENT blog in our website.

Also would do you think of coining this method of waste reduction as Prota™Composting or Prota™Culture. Like Vermicomposting, prota™composting essentially focusses on producing proteins out of compost... the greek prota means basic and life and is the root for the word protein?

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
RLO, I have never uploaded to YouTube, but I'm sure I can figure it out. I've wanted to be involved with raising awareness of BSF since I discovered them, so yes, I would be honored to help in any way. If there are other ways I can help please don't hesitate to ask.

I'll have to consider the two options for naming the process. Prota™Culture rolls off the tongue better and my be more accurate, but Prota™Composting will be more familiar to many people. My guess is that using the word "composting" will have a better commercial impact.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Thanks for the Maggo-Matic remark, Theo. Leaving now for Marksville and will be laughing all the way. Fine humor indeed!

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I have an image of Dudley quietly driving down the road and then suddenly chuckling for no apparent reason. Maggo-Matic indeed.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
GW, do the BSFs just show up?
If not, biopod, do they come with your kit?
Randy

Just do it...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Will they convert grass clippings, leaves, etc?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
rmedgar, I had no problem attracting wild BSF. I live in the country and I'm not sure if they are as plentiful in the suburbs or in cities. I still haven't gotten a good sense of how common they are in the north.

When I first started researching BSF I was sure I had never seen one. I put out scraps and had BSF laying eggs within hours.

DD1, that's a good question. If thebiopod doesn't know off hand I'll test it when I get my colony going again.

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
Randy,

Depending on climate BSF just show up in 1-2 weeks. Don't overfeed them. Also we will sell started colonies with our BioPod™, but will not get into the business of selling grubs over the internet...

Also, there is a resource section that has a great user guide on how to establish a colony yourself. But if you ask GW, it's more fun growing them yourself \:\)

-Robert

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
rmedgar,

I started a colony on the balcony of an 8th story apt in the middle of downtown dallas. It was a little tricky, but I plan on getting a song bird feeder out of recycled plastic so i can attract song birds to the city... (no pigeons). I'm hoping this will create a great benefit for our neighborhood and I'm hoping this will encourage my girlfriend to feed the pod...

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
GW, I saw this thread posted on another forum and wanted to ask you something. I was very interested in your project/experiment because I wanted to have a year round supply of feeder insects for my frogs. I'd use adults as well as larvae. I'm looking to automate the frog feeding process.

My question is are the SF "clean"? In other words if I re-created your experiment and used wild adults to start the culture, could those flies introduce and pass on any harmful bacteria / parasites to my frogs or even myself?

I read the entire article you referred to and I've read all the posts (all 6 pages) of this thread. I'm just not sure about how clean the culture would be. You mentioned that the larvae release an antibiotic and "clean" themselves. You also mention that they outcompete other flies. I was worries specifically about botulism or any other nasty.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hi Green Ghost. The best way I can explain my feeling about BSF is by comparing them to butterflies and caterpillars. Please keep in mind that this analogy has little to do with science (which you've already read) and is more about my gut feeling.

I imagine there would be a greater risk if you collected larvae from a decaying carcass, but in a situation where you're monitoring the scraps I doubt there would be a significant risk of infection. The adult BSF are only a few days old at any point, and if their eggs are deposited in a unit with "cleam" food scraps I don't see much chance of spreading toxins or diseases.

We're lucky to have someone on the the forum now who knows a lot more about BSF then I do. Maybe thebiopod will see this and comment. You may want to consider joining the forum at thebiopod.com and pose your question there. I've been intending to register there but haven't found the time yet...

Welcome to Pond Boss, you can get a lot of great help with all questions related to fish biology as well as pond info here.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Holy moly GW, you're BSF thread is being referenced on other boards? It seems as though you have become our resident "Lord of the Flies."

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
"Lord of the Flies."

\:D

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
GW,

I'm going to think about Green Ghost question carefully before I answer... In the mean time I found the neatest patent using fly larvae to dispose of waste in Space and THEN feeding a protein paste back to the humans in the ship... CHECK THAT OUT.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=o0IUAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4

I hope the link post without a problem...

biopod

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
WOW; and I always thought I would like to be an astronaut.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If thats what thier eating on the GSA deathstar Jeff can cancil my flight. \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails