Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looks like something you could cut an achilles tendon with.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cell phone.

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Looks like something you could cut an achilles tendon with.

Keep up the smartalec comments and find out!!!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It couldn't have been a knife. Nobody trusts Fatty with sharp instruments.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Congradulations to
Bruce. I just got an e-mail from from Berkley saying that Bruce had won for Feburary!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Guys -- I wanted to bring this thread back up to the top. I don't know that I've ever sufficiently acknowledged all the support that good ol' SDSU gets from you folks.

Do you know that the Jesse West Endowment is the only research endowment in our department? That's in a department with 275 undergradate students, 60 graduate students, and well over $1 million in payroll. We have lots of scholarships, but this is the very FIRST research endowment.

I've often wondered "why SDSU?" After all, there are just a "few" \:\) southern schools with interests in pond management and sport fisheries. However, Lusk tells me to just be gracious and accept providence. So, that's what I try to do, and that probably explains my need for posting this message on the Forum!

There are a couple of especially good pieces of news with all of this. First, I get help students. What a pleasure. By association, you all get to help students. That truly is rewarding. Second, I get to work with Bob Lusk, talk to you folks about ponds on the Forum, learn from Cody, Baird, West, Gallus, Condello, Otto, Sunil, etc., etc. (always hate to list names; you always forget someone!). Working with you folks = great FUN! \:\)

So, many thanks to everyone. Take a little piece of this and feel the pride from your involvement.

Now, if we could just get the ice off the ponds and lakes, and get back to fishing!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The PB tanks at SDSU

The first student research PB helped

You can hear about the results at the 08 PB convention

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, now I simply must share this story. It's a Pond Boss classic -- things like this just keep happening.

So, 15 minutes after I make my last post (above), and mention Bob Lusk and providence, I get a phone call. It's from a representative of the Boone and Crockett Club, and they are interested in settng up an endowed chair (pays for a professor and research) at SDSU for big game management.

I phoned both Ewest and Bob to give them the story. Ewest was happy for us, but Lusk was not even surprised!

Now, this is not a done deal yet. However, what's the chance that the phone call comes 15 minutes after I'm on the Forum? Say what you want -- this is not a coincidence! \:\)

Dr. Bruce -- this is your thread. What do you say?

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This is beyond amazing! Good things come to those who work their butts off. \:\)

Professor and research both? Everybody wins. The University wins. Boone and Crockett wins. The sportsmen and sportswomen win. I just can't wait to see how this plays out. I think that maybe future information should have it's own dedicated thread.

Congratulations SDSU.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I am honored to know that following PB's lead , B&C knows quality and ability when it sees it. Go Jack Rabbits !!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dave, that's great. I'm sure that you are still trying to wrap your head around the enormity of the deal. Think about it. An organization that exists to measure antlers endowing a chair for a place that tries to understand more about growing fish in a place like South Dakota. Like you, I'm amazed. Think about the implications.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Dave, maybe we can get a scholarship fund started here in this forum for some deserving student. I'm in for a $100 bucks right now if you will post an address for me to send it to. (Moderator is this legal). Anyone else interested?

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Heybud and others. A bit of info on what PB is doing at SDSU.

SDSU is IMO the premier University for "APPLIED FISHERIES RESEARCH" . Why is that important to PB and you? First very few schools stress applied fisheries research as most do big eco-system theory research. SDSU does what others don't - they do the meat and potatoes on the water research not all the fancy popular stuff. In short SDSU is out there digging to find the answers to questions private fisheries scientists and pond owners and fishermen are asking to better their on the water situation. Do SMB and WE compete for food and what are the consequences ? Is there a better way to age fish without killing them in the process? BG interactions and reproduction. Hey - that sounds like what PB is all about - again no coincidence there.

The endowment that PB has with SDSU is also very practical and unique . First it has a governing committee that must include a private fisheries biologist (Bob Lusk ) , a private sector fisherman , a fisheries science PhD (Dave) and the Fisheries Dept head (Chuck). It is very flexible but is directed to applied fisheries research and can go where $ are needed as determined by the committee. It specifically allows for helping fisheries students who may need help to attain or achieve their FS degree. If some kid gets in a bind we can help without a bunch of bells and whistles - the quiet approach. No one would know more about what student needed help than Dave. It can buy stuff the FS dept. needs to do research and help students at the same time (see the tanks and PhD student above - they were one deal). You can see the results in the tanks that will be used for years to do research and hear about the SMB/WE research at the 08 PB Convention and meet the real life student who you helped. It is involved in a project as we speak called "Northern Pond" to provide an in-class fish teaching diorama that includes IIRC - YP , SMB , LMB ,BG , WE , pike , PS , and other pond fish and critters (it will look just like a pond) to teach students through the use of real fish. The fish mostly came from PB members' ponds . They can comment about their fish. Cecil is doing the work and you can see it at the PB Convention before it heads home to SDSU. One point to note is that every $ in the endowment goes to accomplish these goals and there is no overhead for fund raising or other expenses. Another Pond Boss outstanding moment that each of you should be proud to have achieved.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dave D -- you're right on target, as usual. I don't have the "wrap" completed yet. \:\)

I'm also learning more, very quickly, about Boone and Crockett. While their general reputation primarily results from the antler scoring, they initially were started by Teddy Roosevelt as a conservation organization! I didn't know that. The reason they are trying to expand their endowed chair program relates to conservation. They are concerned that so many wildlife and fisheries programs are shrinking as universities move more toward the so-called corporate model, where there is more value in biotechnology than in organismal biology. More big-dollar grants, patentable discoveries, start-up businesses, etc. So, they are trying to help expand wildlife/fisheries programs that still have an applied (hands-on) component to their program. Pretty darn cool. They already have two endowed chairs and are offering this research endowment opportunity to four schools, including SDSU.

Heybud - first and foremost, thank you very much for that gracious offer. Remember that Boss Lusk has been instructing me in the art of being appreciative. Asking for money doesn't come naturally to me, but people are very gracious when it comes to students! I really had to learn that.

Let me make clear that I posted this great news about B&C just to share with my friends on Pond Boss, and because I couldn't believe the timing. I am not here to solicit help on the B&C matching funds. We'll get good help from our Foundation office on campus, and see where things go.

Now, back to your kind offer. You certainly can donate at any time. You can contact me via email or personal message, if you wish. However, you might also consider adding the donation to the Jesse West research endowment at SDSU! I'm sure Ewest would appreciate that. Heck, you could save your money and bring it to the silent auction in July! \:\) We have a reasonable scholarship program in our department -- I think we awarded about 32K this fall (our scholarship banquet is once per year). We have little in the way of research endowment -- as Ewest posted earlier, we'll have Melissa Wuellner come to the July conference and show everyone how she used the Jesse West funds to help her research on walleye and smallmouth bass interactions.

Thanks for your good thought!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Oops! I see that I was working on my response at the same time as Ewest posted. Thanks, Ewest. Pond Boss forum family: doesn't all this have a "family" feel to it?

I CAN'T WAIT to see the diorama that Cecil is doing for us. For forum members who aren't aware, Cecil is a truly gifted taxidermist.

Lunker
Lunker
Pondboss. Nothing short of spectacular!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Hank and his crew of BigFish connoisseurs have selected Lewiswmx1 as the July BerkleyBigFish Finalist!

Lewiswmx1 has been a devoted angler on the site for months. A two-time Category Winner for Inshore Saltwater and now a BerkleyBigFish Finalist, he has a 1 in 12 chance to win the grand prize - a fishing trip with Hank Parker, the "Bucketmouth Champion!" Congratulations to Lewiswmx1 and the other July Category Winners listed below.

If you didn't win in July, don't feel left out. Hank and his crew have reset the points, so every angler has an equal shot at the August Abu Garcia® Leader-Board. Remember, there are five BerkleyBigFish Finalists yet to be named and 25 prize packages left to be given away.

The BerkleyBigFish Crew

The BerkleyBigFish Crew wants to take this opportunity to remind our beloved site users that all monthly Category Winners are only eligible to receive the accompanying prize package one time. If a user who has already won a monthly category prize package in any of the fish categories wins a category for a second time, the prize package will be awarded to the 2nd place finisher in that category. In July, category winner and Monthly Finalist "Lewismx1" previously won a prize package so his Bass and Inshore Saltwater prizes were awarded to second place finishers "Nellerefinnej" and "Tufffish." Second place has its advantages after all! Please keep the pictures and stories coming and remember - vote responsibly.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for that post, ewest.

There's been a tendency in July for some people to put up incredible point totals. There's been an effort by the good folks at Berkley to make sure that everything is on the level. Once I won February I've tried to just be a cheerleader for some of the other great entrants, but I haven't tried to solicit votes since that time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
As all of you know, you helped me win the February category for the Berkley Big Fish contest. I give you all my most humble thanks, and I was happy to be able to donate the winnings to the Jesse West foundation at SDSU.

If any of you still remember your passcodes I think it would be a nice gesture to throw a five bobber rating to this young lady.

http://berkleybigfish.com/PhotosMore.php?picID=2989

It's always nice to support young anglers, and this young lady is an avid fisherman, and a good representative to the sport.

I would also be interested to know what any of you may have for an assessment in regards to me winning the whole thing at the end of the year. There seem to be several really quality pictures and stories to choose from.

You don't have to bother to vote for me, since I've already won a monthly category, but I'll admit that I'm a little excited to see how the final voting goes here in a few weeks.

On the microscopic chance that I'd win, I plan on taking my Dad with me. ;\)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Done. \:\)

Lunker
Lunker
I gave you both 5 of 5, Aquaman.

She had an impressive catch, but you tell a better story.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
the one photo of redbreast doesnt look like a redbreast. I think it may be a saltwater fish??

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
We hope we can help send you on the trip!

Bruce you tell a great story and shamelessly promote Trilene, but she looks a WHOLE lot cuter!

All the pics you both posted got 5 bobbers!

Last edited by Rainman; 12/13/08 09:39 AM.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!