Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
2 members (lafarmpondguy, Fishingadventure), 644 guests, and 151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I spent much of the first ten days of the month working on Pond Boss. This will be the best issue, ever. We rocketed from 68 to 84 pages and this issue will be one to keep as a reference guide for aeration. There's more meat about water than we have ever published. If you don't subscribe, yet, this is a "must have" issue. In my humble opinion, this single issue will be worth the entire's year's subscription cost.
Much of this month has been eventful. So far, I spent about 60 hours putting the magazine together, but have also had time to do quite a few other tasks.
On Feb 5 & 6, Otto and I had a big adventure. We flew to Memphis, Tennessee, to assist trying to figure out why a 36 acre lake east of the city leaks so bad. We were able to calculate this lake leaks at about 1,000 gallons per minute. The well produces 1,300 gpm, but the lake drops 1.5 inches daily when the well is off. It's a tough one to figure out. We dug 24 test holes looking for water movement. We'll see...

We dug 24 holes around the lake, looking for lateral water movement.

Water in this hole....

Mike Otto, right, talks strategy with the contractor and soils scientist/engineer

But, the adventure came the afternoon and evening of the 5th. Tornados, all around. Our client lost their main office and a big warehouse from a tornado. Weather forecasters predicted the severe weather, so everyone was on guard for it. But, who knew where it would hit? The lake is about 50 miles east of Memphis and our client headed home to the city about 4:30. We had watched radar reports for an hour beforehand. As he headed to the city, with his car radio on, he realized one of the funnel clouds was headed directly for their offices at 50 mph. He immediately called the office. They were completely unaware of the funnel cloud. He told them to get into the break room, deep inside the building. As they ran for the break room, he heard a crashing noise and the phone went dead. About two minutes later, he was able to reach one of the employees on a cell phone. Everyone but one person made it to the break room before the walls crashed all around them. Where everyone had been working, next to a tall brick wall, was crushed under heavy rubble. No doubt, his call saved lives. One of their industrial neighbors lost three employees, killed by debris as the tornado demolished their business. The one employee who didn't make it to the break room was thrown against the ceiling and smacked against a wall, resulting in three broken ribs.
Amazingly, they were back in business the next afternoon. These people are highly organized.
The next day, I visited with a man in central Texas at his ranch. He has a high fence ranch loaded with exotic animals. The first creature I was was a zebra. He has mostly African animals roaming the 1,700 acres. I saw impala and five or six other animals I have no idea what were. He has a 7 acre lake in the middle of the ranch. He has had the typical overcrowded bass situation and has worked hard to fix it. But, the ranch hands are so busy with projects and daily tasks, the lake takes a back seat. His mission with me was to figure out how to fix it where he can enjoy fishing once or twice a month with grandchildren, be able to cook some fish over an open fire and have minimal management efforts. I have a good plan for him.

Land owner Hal Ahlberg, left, talks over the lake situation with his ranch foreman, Doug.

I have made three site visits to a property west of Fort Worth, Texas, assisting the renovation of a small pond. I'll probably write about this one for July/August.
One of those visits, I took along four "job shadows" from Whitesboro High School. Each year, the community works with the school for job shadow day, where you take a student along with you for a typical day's work. There's nothing typical about what I do. That day, the kids, two guys and two gals, climbed into the manly Dodge truck and we headed to the Pond Boss World Headquarters for a short time so they could hear about how to put together and publish a magazine. Then, the 1.5 hour rolling seminar/road trip to Cowtown. We inspected the site, asked some questions and then grabbed some lunch on the go, as we made our way to Cabela's (It was right on the way home). None of them had been to such a store and it was fun to let them roam for an hour. Then, we headed toward LL,2 to electrofish a pond. Got wildlife guru Dan VanSchaik on the phone and he was able to meet up with us for ten minutes to meet and greet these future conservationists. Then, we electrofished, everyone saw some big fish and I handed them off to their teachers at 3 pm.

Job shadows got to see a real world project...a pond renovation.

Pushing silty mud from the old pond bottom.

Valentine's Day was pleasant. Debbie and I had a quiet evening. I cooked salmon on a wood-fired grill with seasoned pecan wood. That wood adds a sweet smoky flavor. Also pitched a little hunk of red meat on, just for principle.
Then, at 6 a.m. the next morning, I headed east. Drove 890 miles from Gordonville to Conyers, Georgia, where I grabbed a room and slept for a short time. Arrived Laurel Hill, NC yesterday at noon. I don't know what it is about the highway, traveling across this great nation, that is so soothing to me. Although I spent 14 hours Friday driving, it was relaxing. Looking at the scenery, enjoying the views, listening the whatever I choose, my mind is free from the bounds of everything else that fills it. I get some of my best ideas looking through a windshield. Spoke with website moderator Eric West on the phone. That man is loaded with great ideas. We talked about the conference. He is putting together a cool idea for the July PB conference. If you haven't registered, yet, please get it done. We need to plan for everyone.
This morning, I have been doing some due diligence for the King Fisher Society regarding their markeing plan. They have an interesting concept and I am trying to find something comparable.
Then, about thirty minutes ago, Jim Morgan, the president of the Morgan Company, which owns King Fisher Society, called and asked if I wanted to tag along and watch a college basketball game today. He said two teams from the state are tangling today. He is a Wake Forest alum and they play a team from a small college in Durham, NC today. So, looks like we are headed to Winston-Salem, NC to watch Wake Forest play Duke today. Go figure....
I'll be here until Thursday.
Next Thursday, I pick up Otto and Debbie at the Charlotte airport and head to Greenville, SC.
Pond Boss, along with 10 or 11 of our good Pond Boss friends, will have a booth at the BassMaster's Classic Expo. We'll be hanging out with the likes of Ray Scott, Bill Dance...all the big names of fishing. I'll shoot lots of photos and try to post them while we are there. It will be fun.
Gotta go...got some work to do, need to read some in the Good Book and get ready to go to a ball game.
Fish on.....

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Holy Cow! What a great game! I was on the first row, baseline, next to the Wake Forest bench. This experience, watching ACC basketball, watching Wake Forest flat out beat number 2 Duke, was a highlight of my sports watching career. Duke played their game, but Wake just worked harder. They knew they could win and played like it.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Interesting week. After things play out, I have a fascinating story to tell you about what happened here in North Carolina. There was a definite twist I wasn't expecting...neither did these guys. I'll share when it's time.
In the meantime, we took a look at some fabulous bass, worked with feeder suppliers to build a feeder, talked with a well known biologist in Kansas who feeds big hybrid stripers, feed-trained largemouth and channel catfish. Also communicated with a client in New York, another in California and a famous one in Indiana. Accomplished much more in North Carolina than I expected, but didn't get everything done I expected.
Next, I head to Charlotte in the manly Dodge, pick up my wife and Mike Otto and head to Greenville to the BassMaster's Classic. It's exciting! We'll get to hang out with all the big names in the fishing game. And, we will get to see some of Pond Boss's biggest advertisers. I'll keep you posted with some good photos.
Let's hear from you.
Fish on.
Bob Lusk

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I have several stories to tell you. The biggest one will have to wait. Sorry...but please trust me. It's important and will be to you, too.

As I mentioned in a thread, I was anxious to look at the feed trained bass at Richmond Mill Lake. These fish are responding exceptionally well. If any of you are interested in feed trained bass, call me and we'll talk. We are figuring out what to do, how to build a feeding program, what to feed, etc. Take a look at the following photos.

This bass is 19 inches long, 5.5 pounds, Wr 120 and looks great.

This bass is "typical" of the fish in the lake...keep in mind we caught 75 fish in an hour and 20 minutes, water temp around 57-58, in February at the passage of a front.

As I mentioned, we headed to the BassMaster's Classic. If you get the chance to go to one of these, do it. It's huge fun and everyone's favorite fishing celebrities are here. I tried to sneak up on Bill Dance today to get him to sign a Pond Boss to sell in the silent auction in July. He played along with my attempt and at the last minute, he was pretending to ignore. I stood in line about 15 minutes to get his autograph and when I was next up, he grabbed me by the head, put me in a headlock and hugged me in front of the crowd. It was a cool moment.

Here are a few more photos of today...enjoy. We are. You guys should see Otto hawking Pond Boss. He probably made 342 new friends today. He's amazing. Now, it's 8:15 p.m. and I have no doubt he's asleep in his room. Oh well.....Debbie and I are headed to a restaurant. Can't wait to see you guys.

Got a chance at a photo shoot with Roland Martin and Doug Hannon, the Bass Professor.

Here's a shot of Roland's wife, Judy, Me and Roland. I talked with Judy about Farm Pond Harvest. Her dad started the magazine 40 years ago and they recently discontinued it. We may talk about working with them. We'll see.

Roland Martin inspects a new reel that the Bass Professor, Doug Hannon has invented. If you care to look it over, go to http://www.wavespinreel.com

Famous people in the fishing business. Ray Scott, Roland Martin and Doug Hannon.

Ray and I exchanging pleasantries.....he is on a high energy level today.

You see some pretty weird stuff. Ray autographed this kid's forehead. Kid, and dad, loved it.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Well, here we are, at the Expo. Made it to the weigh-in yesterday and also the launch this morning. This truly is a bass fishing fan's Superbowl. Enjoy the photos.

Dr. Larry Varner, Purina's Wildlife guru, Ray Scott and Dr. Mark Griffin, inventor of fine fish food.

Griffin, Scott, Lusk

Big crowd at the weigh-in Saturday

Ray warms the crowd.

Judy Wong won the women's event!

Lusk on the floor at the weigh-in.

Fish Fishburne led the parade.

Charlie Hartley led after the first day. Here, he weighs in on day 2.

Charlie's bag

Aaron Marten's big fish

Dave Wolak sign's autographs

Iaconelli arrives...

Iaconelli awaits his weight.

Iaconelli's big bass of Saturday

It's a big day...

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
The BassMaster Classic was huge fun, and fruitful. Got to hang out with some of the big names and was able to build some good relationships and do some branding.
Met Glenn May, who founded BassResource.com years ago. We gave him permission years ago to re-print Pond Boss articles on his website. His website drives people to our website.
I'll let you know how these different relationships develop.
Debbie and I are headed from Greenville, SC in about an hour. Headed toward the Atlanta Motor Speedway to look at a couple of ponds...then toward Birmingham, Alabama. Hoping to catch up with Norman Latona today if he is available. Then, head toward Texas. Depending on the time frame for the day, we'll call Ewest and see what he's up to.
Once in Texas, we'll look at a lake we helped design near Tyler. Home tomorrow evening.
Then, Bob Robinson, with Kasco Marine, Inc, will be at LL,2 Wednesday afternoon for a school on all their products. If anyone wishes to attend the afternoon session Wednesday, email or call my cell at (903)814-7634. He plans to arrive around 2 pm for a hands-on seminar for my employees.
Then, off to College Station Thursday morning for the Texas Outdoor Writer's Association annual conference. Promised Debbie I would attend a Whitesboro Education Foundation gala fundraiser on Friday at the Texas Motor Speedway. Then, Saturday morning, drive the 185 miles back to College Station to finish the conference.
Then, I breathe for a few days. (Maybe)
Fish on

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM