Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,988
Posts558,232
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,567
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, cb100, shooterlurespond), 1,074 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Saturday morning I went to one of the stands that borders our property and our deer lease. This stand has had 3 or 4 deer shot out of already this season.

I didn't see any deer until about 8 am when 4 does crossed the fence row 350 yards to the east. A few minutes later a buck walked out of the woods from the same direction of the does. Where we hunt you can shoot a spike or anything outside the ears. The buck was to far off to be able to make sure he was only a spike so I let him go. While I was watching this buck I looked back in the opposite direction and a big buck was along the fence. He was about 200 yards away. He never looked at me so I couldn't see how wide he was even though I was calling to him.

Ten to Fifteen minutes later 3 does walked out where the big buck was. I waited until the largest doe was broadside and dropped her. A few minutes later a coyote walked out in front of me and I dropped it to.

About 20 minutes later three does walked out in the field in front of me followed by the first buck that I saw. This time I could tell that it was a spike. He was chasing the does around the field. He ran off into the woods and the back out in the field. I had to yell at him to get him to stop. My first shot must have been way off because he didn’t even move. He then turned around heading towards the does. I got him to stop again and made a good shot. He only ran about a 100 yards.

I saw at least 15 deer between 8 and 9:30.

Sorry for all of the blood, but I didn't think you guys would mind.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Pretty successful hunt, Chris. Now the fun begins cleaning your kill!

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
BarO #102835 12/02/07 12:22 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
My son Jeff and I just returned from a 2 day trip to his friend’s Hill Country ranch that is participating in a special TP&W game management program, conducted in a 640 acre high fence deer pasture.

I have no intention to get into game management programs, but boy is it interesting.
I’m a fair chase guy but those that want to play the high dollar game – have at it.
A canned hunt goes for big bucks and big dollars these days.

Annual game count surveys are mandatory, conducted by spot light and helicopter surveys.
Based on estimated population, permits are granted to maintain optimum population and body/antler size conditions.

Our friend culls the spikes and less desirable bucks, and invites special friends to help harvest the does.

Talk about biology and genetics.
Pond guys flinch at adult fish costs, but how about high dollar costs for percentage northern white tail genetic bred does and percentage nubbin bucks.

I don’t even try to understand the 10’s of thousands of dollar investments in in bred does and pecentage nubbin bucks, the cost of a straw of semen for artificial insemination, let alone for continuing dozer cost for brush control and high costs fencing.

The participants in TP&W Game management program are required to maintain weight and body condition records as well as submitting the jaw bone from each animal – lots of record keeping.

I knew it would be a fun trip when we arrived at ranch headquarters with central heat/ air conditioning and big screen television.
I like our deer camp shanty best.

My son harvested 3 fat does .
Theo, it will take three Hill Country does to equal one of your northern does.
I prefer our Post Oak Savannah deer however, being at least twice Hill Country field dressed weight.

Like I say – interesting.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Chris, that must have been an exciting day. So far, we are seeing almost nothing.

On Kids weekend, we saw 16 deer. My Grandson shot at a really nice buck but missed. It was my fault. The afternoon before, a small doe came out at about 25 yards and I cranked his scope down to 2 power so he could see her. The next morning, THE buck came out and started trotting across the wheat patch, I snorted and it stopped and turned to face us at about 150 yards. I told him to shoot it in the neck. He missed. I forgot to crank the scope back up to 7 power. My fault but it didn't bother him. He told my Brother that he got buck fever. On opening weekend, we saw 6 deer and my Brother took a nice doe. On the next weekend, I saw 3 does at dusk. It was spitting wet snow and I was cold and wet. I didn't mess with them. I didn't go this last weekend.

Since the acorn drop started, almost nobody in the area is seeing deer of any kind. Acorns are all over the ground and the trees are still loaded. Friends who are hunting mesquite country are seeing and harvesting huge racks and I figure I have them also. The plentiful rains we had during the spring and early summer contributed to a huge acorn crop. The deer aren't moving at all. I've tried rattling but that never has worked for me. I'll be hunting some more but am not expecting much.

There's a tradeoff here. The deer are in tremendous shape but if I don't see any, it's a bust for me. And, here's the problem. Due to the plentiful rains, I figure we had a huge fawn survival rate. On the surface, that sounds good. However, I'm seeing a lot of info about La Nina for our area. The returning drought that I always expect will result in more deer than the lands carrying capacity. Next year, we will have to starting shooting the "rats with antlers".

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
This is one lucky dude. I have a couple of more pictures if anyone is interested. This deer was killed with a black powder rifle

Last edited by heybud; 12/18/07 07:33 PM.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I know deer season is over and I think those deer know it somehow. We woke up this morning at the Lazy W and there were 9 bucks at our feeders. Shortly after they left 28 wild turkeys came and put on a show. How do they know when the season is over? Man life is great at the Lazy W

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
What made this noise?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:58 PM
RENOVATION TO A POND FILLING IT WITH CONCRETE
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:10 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 01:34 PM