Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Steve Clubb, Boondoggle), 1,154 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#105179 01/18/08 11:47 AM
J
John G. Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I just thought I would let you'll know there are some pretty good deals on Ebay right now. I wish I had found that good a deal when I bought my areator. I will not benefit either way if you buy one. I just wanted to let you'll know.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
I'm needing an areator, but I don't know alot about them. I've got a 3 acre pond that I'm draining and starting from scratch. Does an areator need to run year round?
Thanks for any info....

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The farther south one lives and the more the aerator system is undersized, the more time it needs to operate.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hi Skinman. In my quest toward a better pond I looked into aeration and what I learned is there is a lot to know about aeration before you begin. IHMO either you need to know a lot about aeration or you need to contact someone that does. There are several good vendors that post on this site that would probably be very happy to discuss you particular pond with you. I would recommend that you email them. Done properly aeration can be a great tool in pond management, done poorly you may either have little to no benefit or you could even cause a disaster.

If you have a diagram of your pond with depth markings that would probably be very helpful. Usually the aeration folks want to know the shape and depth of the pond in order to give you a recommendation.

That's just my two cents (and is probably not worth that price).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
We recommend 24/7 operation of our pumps because it is much less stressfull than the on/off cycle both on the ecosystem and the pump. In my opinion it is simpler for the operator to troubleshoot a problem in the pond when they know the pond is mixing continously. With a 3 acre pond you're probly looking at a 3-6 plate system depending on depth. Shoot me an email if you'd like to talk

Justin McLeod
If you don't know where to start, go back to the beginning.

jmcleod@thepondguy.com
http://www.thepondguy.com

JMAC #106782 02/04/08 03:12 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hi Skinman -
Jeffhasapond is correct, there is a lot that goes into proper sizing of an aeration system. Depth, shape, volume, watershed, your personal goals for your pond, etc... there is a lot of good information on this website and on the internet in general.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Lunker
Lunker
In my own experience, shopping on Ebay can be fun.
But obtaining technical support, the help of a real person and manufacturer's support with a good warranty makes it worth shopping with the pros.

Companies like Vertex are at the forefront of water management and they spend time to research, test and R&D their products.

And on top of that Sue is an experienced biologist! No wonder Bill Dance is endorsing their products!

We feel blessed to be their Vertex Dealers in Canada!

Good season to all!

Mario Paris,
Fish & Wildlife Management Technician, CEO of Canadianponds.ca Products
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Mario, I agree that shopping on EBAY can be fun. I used to do it. Then one day, I was looking at an article that I had "won". I started thinking. I had just competed for the right to buy something that I couldn't examine from someone that I didn't know. And, I paid more for it than anybody else in the world would have. That combination of 3 things stopped me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Skinman, If you can give Sue Cruz the location of your pond she can obtain an aerial photo to determine the size of the pond. She did mine. She sized an aeration system for me and saved my fish during the Texas drought.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
Mario and Dave your right about Ebay. More than once we have been called to help someone who has purchased from Ebay. One in particular purchased a compressor. It had no fan guards, no plug and a capacitor that was hanging loose. They did not have any idea how to create bubbles from this compressor, but they paid a little bit less than our compressor would be completely ready to go.

Heybud and Sue are right too. As much information as can be given to whomever is sizing a system for a pond is perfect. We all plug this info into our on programs to spit out what system is best for each pond. Mapping programs just add to the "coolness" factor but they do aid in making sure the measurements are right and the placement of the diffusers is correct.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM