Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 755 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106542 02/01/08 07:16 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
DIEDs in a pickle. our trusty 10 yr old panasonic 21-inch CRT tv developed a shakey screen and blacks out w/ annoying frequency.......all just before superbowl sunday..as if it was rigged this way

i dont know crap about the new technology, but realize we need to be ready for digital signal in the next year....that said......here here, i am calling out to electronic savvy pondmeisters.....what do you recommend i buy given the following limitations.....

"flat" screen size in the 30-36" range,

budget hopefully less than 1000 (God that's painful to think about considering our last one cost about a 100)...

but i am open to why i should have a plasma? a LCD?.......any advice is greatly appreciated......if you provide compelling advice as to why i should spend 1200-1500 or something lets hear it.

anybody who's bought one recently, or simply knows what a good deal is, PLEASE HELP OLD DIED.......
thanks in advance..

edited post....i'll probably leave to go buy something around noon (PST) tomorrow, hopefully w/ some direction

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 02/01/08 07:21 PM.

GSF are people too!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Let's see, you bought the old one ten years ago for $100.00. That's $10.00 per year, even with just an hour or two a day that is pretty cheap entertainment and education, (remember that great Lusk appearance on RFD-TV?)

We bought a 42 inch LCD a year or two for about $1700.00. It is mounted over the fireplace and takes up no space in the room.

My advise is to buy the largest one which fits well in the location you intend to put it. TVs are so clear, bright, etc. that you will be shocked at what you have been missing.

If High Definition is available from your cable, sattelite or airways provider definitely buy a set that handles HD.

I would also buy a TIVO type device so that you can take record any show that plays at a time you can't watch it. As an example, I record every Bill Dance, Roland Martin, etc. and watch at my leisure.

A few days ago I was sick and stayed close to home for a day or two watching Hank Parker and all. Sure beats Ophra and Montel.

One more thing, don't ask me about that blue ray vs. HD-DVD, or what ever the old technology I invested in is. I am still not sure I made the right choice there.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I bought 2 SONY flat screen LCD dig. TVs (1 - 34 in and 1 - 42in IIRC ) 2 years ago. One for home one for business. They have both worked well and pic is great. You are lucky the prices have dropped a bunch since then. They were well rated by consumer digest. No other experience except our old SONY TV lasted 25 years with no repairs.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dave,

I recommend a 32-42" LCD with 1080p resolution. That's where the bang for the buck is. If you compare pictures in a store, you will see there is no comparison between LCD and plasma.

Some have unrecognized brands (like Olevia and Sceptre) but have panels manufactured by trusted manufacturers like Samsung, Sony, or LG.

Look right here for ratings. You can trust products that are rated very high by ~10 or more users:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=264&name=TV-Plasma-LCD-DLP

Once you read some reviews and settle on 1 or 2 that sound good, you can dash out and buy it at your local store, Wal-Mart, or Circuit City etc.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My wife and I just purchased a 42" LG Plasma for under $1000.

It was on sale at Best Buy. I'm not sure whether it's still on sale or at what locations it would even be on sale to begin with, but I think it's worth investigating.

I'm no electronic guru, but I was told the one we bought is normally almost double that amount. If we can afford it, DIED, you can too!

(I know bobad prefers LCD to Plasma, and I'm sure he is correct in his assesment. However, the Plasma was a great deal on the edge of our price range, and we're very satisfied with it).

Good luck!

Last edited by davatsa; 02/01/08 08:55 PM.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't really know squat about this stuff. I am gonna be the next one in the flat screen, HDTV market. Ironically, I was just quizzing one of my work associates about this very subject. He used to work part time at Best Buy and is pretty nerdy. This means he knows more than I, though I won't trust his input implicitly. Just a good place to start.
We didn't dig real deep into the subject; more of an introductory discussion about the different screen types. Here is what he did note; LCD is a good screen, but does have a shelf life of about 10 - 15 years. Maybe that's plenty of time for most of you, but my circa late '60's GE 19" color TV displayed in front of the treadmill will tell you where my money goes. Anyway, he said that DLP would be the affordable choice for longevity. He also noted something about plasma that the viewing range as you angle off to the side will diminish quickly.
-
All that being said, I reiterate that I really dunno. Is any of that stuff accurate?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
you guys are great, just the stuff i was looking for.

bing, it has been cheap entertainment, we even had free basic cable for a couple years until my concious got the best of me. just by looking at the new tvs in the stores i know already i'll be shocked......we have a problem w/ our cable though, its so far from the pole we've lost bandwidth even w/ an amp at the house, so the digital end is not so good, plus we had to split it for internet, so hi def may be a ways off til cable can help me further amp it, or strengthen their overall signal.

ewest, my brother keeps telling me sony sony sony..but i'm cheap, he buys for the specs, i go bang for buck, i'll definitely look at them though cause i know sony makes quality stuff,

bobad, thanks for that link....very informative, i see LCD units w/ 20 watt speakers, 32 inch screen for well under 1000 dollars... i can definitely narrow down a type and brand w/ that info.

thanks dvatsa, we have a best buy w/in about 35 miles from here which will be on my route tomorrow. and hey, i can complain about spending money cant i?

bski raised a concern i heard about not being able to see the picture from an angle, but i heard it was for lcd tvs....? i'll check that out at the stores...bski, at least yer GE is color...i only had a B&W w/ no remote well into the 80's

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
bski raised a concern i heard about not being able to see the picture from an angle, but i heard it was for lcd tvs....?

...that could be it
(edit; heck, it could have been the plasma that has the shelf life)

Last edited by Brettski; 02/01/08 09:35 PM. Reason: oldtimers kickin in
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Since I am spending your money, not mine, you should look into a satellite system. Excellent reception and excellent "cable" channels, RFD-RV, Versus (VS which has dozens of fishing info. shows each week), ESPN which owns BASS and has even more fishing shows, The Outdoor Channel, etc. plus NASCAR events. All you need is a spot with a clear view of the southern sky.

No wonder I never get anything done.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca

thanks dvatsa, we have a best buy w/in about 35 miles from here which will be on my route tomorrow. and hey, i can complain about spending money cant i?

You sure can! What better place to complain than here? I'm just teasin' ya about affordability.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave,
Do you lose any clarity when you move off to an angle from the front/center view of the screen?
-
edit...again
I might have just googled my own answer:
 Quote:
Plasma manufacturers have made much of their 160° viewing angles, which is about as good as horizontal and vertical viewing angles get

Quote:
Expect the best LCD HDTVs to have between 120 and 130 degree viewing angles.

source

Last edited by Brettski; 02/01/08 10:02 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Funny you should ask...

After your last post, I thought I'd try the theory out. So, as I'm watching "Bucks of Tecomate," I start wandering around the 'ol apartment (we're still newlyweds, ya know) trying to get different angles on the t.v.

I came to two conclusions.

1- An apartment is not conducive to trying to discern the clarity of different angles on a 42" t.v.

2- When very close to the t.v., the picture is distorted slightly after moving off at an angle. However, if someone is this close to the t.v. to begin with, they have greater issues than that of television clarity. When I'm farther away (at a "normal" distance) to begin with and THEN move off at an angle, the clarity remains sharp. Granted, I'm still in an apartment, which means I can't angle, say, 50 feet away. But at that point, I guess it doesn't matter anymore. Just my $.02.

I know there are higher quality televisions, but so far we really like our LG considering what we paid.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When did you get married? Did I miss the PB reception?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You should get a reel to reel system. The picture is unbelievable.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
(oh boy...here comes the Jimi Hendrix 8-track reviews...)

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
bing, we cant get satellite in our hole, trees are too tall on hill behind us and block all southern exposures from house. we had a couple different satellite companies out here, they couldnt get signal w/ their little testing devices.

dvatsa, one of the reasons i love this place, a scientific forum that i can complain on and actually get some sympathy \:D ......geesh, and my wife calls it a chat room \:D

bski, i lose no clarity on angle w/ the old crt, i dont know yet, but will find out tomorrow whether its the plasma or lcd that potentially has this problem.....glare/backlight is another issue i need to consider cause of where the tv will sit. if i'm gonna spend one large or thereabouts, i dont want to see room reflections.

thanks again for the input guys, keep it comin, i'll check again later tonight and tomorrow before i venture out....very very much appreciated...

edited post....wow you guys posted a bunch while i drafted this, gotsta go eat, will check back later......sunil......reel to reel...reelly now..

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 02/01/08 10:11 PM.

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
B'ski-

I don't want to hijack DIED's thread too much, but we got married on July 21, 2007. She's a wonderful woman!

I'm now officially a law student on a nursing scholarship.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Just bought a Sony Bravia(?) HD and it's great. Still haven't figured out
all the bells etc, but picture is great. Cost about $750.

Just do it...
Lunker
Lunker
Boy, this is all good info that I'm gonna save, in case I ever have to replace the trusty old Farnsworth-Zworykin.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
B'ski-

I don't want to hijack DIED's thread too much, but we got married on July 21, 2007. She's a wonderful woman!

D.I.E.D. won't mind. There's always room for one more member to the club. I'm way happy for ya, man. It's a cool gig when you luck out with all the planets aligned. I'm still seein' stars.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
DIED,
Some things to consider:
-Lcds are more energy efficient than plasmas.
-If you are not planning on hanging the tv on the wall, will do most of your viewing at a 60* angle or less to the screen, and if you can fit a 12-15" deep set in your room, you will get the most bang for your buck with a dlp rear-projection (the only problem is that it will not be quite as "bright" as a plasma).
-I don't want to start any controversy, but Sony has done a good job of convincing the public that they build quality products. Don't believe this blanket statement. Like most other companies they have certain lines that are reliable and certain lines that are not.
-If you are near (less than 60 miles) a broadcasting station and are not blocked by hills or mountains, an antenna can do some amazing things and will also give you the best HD signal there is. No compression goes into the signal, like it does with cable and satellite.
-If you decide to go with one of the high-def dvd formats, I would recommend Blu-Ray. Warner Bros. has recently decided to exclusively release through that format, so the only remaining exclusive studios left with HD-DVD are Universal and Paramount (rumors have been going around that Paramount has an "out" in their contract with HD-DVD that if Warner decided to release exclusively with Blu-Ray, then they can cancel their exclusive contract with HD-DVD). HD-DVD will have a Super Bowl commercial, but don't let that fool you, "experts" are saying it is a last ditch effort to prolong the "war".
-When/if you decide to go with HD sources, be sure you have the correct cables and have them hooked up correctly. Come here for guidance when the time comes and I will guide you through it.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
more top of the line input from everybody, thank you bski, dvatsa, randy, and bbjr.

bski, that "source" link is awesome, i needed that basic talk, anybody wanting to know the clinical difference between lcd and plasma use bski's link above.

dvatsa, thanks for the in-home research, hope yer new wife didnt suspect you of anything strange, just tell her you was helping a friend on yer chat room.....and a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on wedlock, yer now a team ready to attack life, i wish y'all the finest blessings...no i dont mind my threads hijacked...as i can be one one of the best hijackers around \:\)

bbjr, we're down in a hole, so unfortunately the airwaves arent an option, but that is excellent advice, and i wont hesitate to send you a pm if i have any questions, you sound like you know what yer talkin about.

i'm leaning toward a lcd unit based on everything so far, i think it will be best for glare, energy usage, can work around 120 degree viewing angles, and generally i see that plasmas arent even available in the smaller screen sizes...i'm wanting something around 32".

i'll check back here again in the morning and thanks again everybody......we keep getting these expert posts and maybe this thread should be archived in a "non-pond-super informative" section of the forum?

GSF are people too!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't regret buying the LCD. I can now view TV in the middle of the day when I have sun shinning directly on the screen from my 30 ft tall wall of glass. I use to have to retreat to the bedroom to watch the game. I bought a cheap magnavox from wally world, The difference in HD and the old stuff is night and day. The clarity is so real on some things you almost feel your really there.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: bobad
I recommend a 32-42" LCD with 1080p resolution.

I was under the impression that 1080p (the latest technology) is overkill. A while ago I was reading that most signals you recieve are not 1080p since it requires so much bandwidth to transmit. On the other hand 1080i (somewhat "older" technology) is what most cable/satellite companies are providing.

Has this changed? Are most signals provided now in 1080p?

Also, for viewing faster action shows (i.e. sports) the refresh rate is an important spec.

Last edited by RobA; 02/02/08 09:32 AM.
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Cindy had never purchased a television until she turned 50 at which point she bought a 60" plasma, a 42" plasma, and a 27" lcd. Of course I helped her shop and my preference is lcd.

I would also recommend HD (1080p) so that as technology advances your TV can take advantage of it. One thing to consider about an HD set is that a standard signal looks horrible on one. I had purchased satellite TV with standard def receivers and it worked fine on my tiny TV, but when I hooked up Cindy's HD sets the picture was unwatchable. I had to upgrade to HD receivers which is costing me significantly more.

HD TV with standard signal = bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails