Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,929
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Boondoggle, Sunil, Groundhog7, JPierson, Bobbss, gautprod), 889 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hi all, it's good to be thinking about ponds again!

I have a lot of confidence in my pond builder so I'm not going to ask a lot detailed questions about construction. This thread will probably be more about just looking a some construction photos for those who like that kind of thing.

In case anyone is confused my girlfriend and I are both building ponds at the same time on our adjoining properties. Cindy's pond is a dual level 6.5/4.5 design. Mine is about .5 acre and is just off of the driveway on the right as you drive towards Cindy's house.

I will ask yalls opinion about a few trees to get started. Here's the photo of said trees:

These Water Oaks are on the west bank of my pond. I really like the shape of the bigger one behind the two straight ones. I'm thinking of removing one or both of those, which are the ones marked with the orange line. The tree outlined in green is a pretty little Holly tree.

If I cut these trees now I have the advantage of being able to pile them on the burn pile with the help of the contractor.

What say you?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had to do a double take to make sure the Tonka toys below them are full sized heavy equipment! Man...dem's big trees!
-
What little I know of Water Oak, their lifespan is some 60 - 80 years. How old do you think those monsters are? If they fall into the pond, are you OK with the newfound fish habitat?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
hi g-dub, long time no talk to.

my first reaction: if those trees are as large as i think they are, move the pond, keep the trees.

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hi Bski. I don't mind if a tree falls into the pond at all. I can't tell the age of the trees, but since it's warm and wet around here they do grow fast.

One reason I'm hesitating to cut the straighter trees is that I think the shade from the west sun might be an advantage. On the other hand if I take them down the bigger Oak will probably spread out some...

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hi Dave. Thanks, I've been super busy, but I'm very glad to finally start the ponds.

The trees aren't quite as big as they look in the photo because the machines are 60 - 80 feet behind and they are 6 - 8 feet below the grade at the trees. Still they're big enough and in general I would tend to leave more trees.

The main reason I'm thinking about removing the two straight ones is to release the bigger one so it can spread out more. The big one is shaped so nicely I would like to have a better view of it.

There are a few smaller Oaks around these also, and they will be there to fill in for the future.

Last edited by GW; 01/22/08 03:23 PM.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
understand better now....looking at pic again, here are some additional rambling thoughts....

option 1) i might consider just cutting out the one to the left which would give you a better view of and allow the one in back to spread, and would preserve the diversity and examples of different species. a possible reason to leave at least one of them (which would apply esp. out here in CA) is sunburn...if you cut out the shade on the large bare oak trunks in back, it might suffer some sunburn....out here, oak bark will literally blister and peel off exposing the tree to bugs etc...although this may not be as much of a concern back east.

option 2) the one on the right does have a fairly low "V" crotch on the main trunk, which is not a good structural feature...tough decision...if yer concerned about aesthetics look to japanese gardening philosophy wherein one goes for odd numbered groupings of plants or rocks....gotta get good feng shui you know. w/ the tree on the left, the large oak in back, and the holley to the right you have a nice grouping of three to focus on...full circle.....go w/ yer gut and take em both out....

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Dave, removing the two straight Oaks will leave 3 main trees in that area, two Oaks and one Holly. There is also another small Oak of a different variety about 10 ft to the right of the Holly That smaller Oak is about 6 inches in diameter.

The Oak on the right (that I'm thinking about cutting)is pretty rough looking in general. The other one is in better health but the straightness of it seems to detract from the big Oak behind it.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i agree....the third tree i mentioned above to leave for good "feng shui" (what does that mean anyway ?) is the double trunked one on the left in the back and leaning left (over the dozer)....the more i looked at the pic, the more i think they both should come out......lots of good firewood....it will be beautiful once the pond is in and filled.

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I felled one of the two Oaks in question (the one on the right) this evening and my hunch about it's health was correct. It was hollow in the center representing about 15% of the total area. The other Oak also has questionable growth at the base. It looks like it lost a very low branch (2 ft) a long time ago, and it looks compromised. I'll cut it tomorrow morning. I think the aesthetics will be improved by the thinning, as well as the health of the larger Oak and the little Holly tree.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
heart rot and V crotches are a bad mix....you done good, congrats...

did it make a sound?

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 01/22/08 07:55 PM.

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Yes it made a big crashy sound. \:D

Here's a shot of the pond site.

The road we live on is about 125 feet up the driveway to the right of the excavator. The run off enters the site from under the driveway just to the left of the excavator and flows perpendicular to the drive.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
GW are you talking about the tree nearest left and right of the forked tree and leaving all the rest ? If so I agree. You may think about a shade tolerant low flowering tree to go with the holly - like a couple of dogwoods.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
The one I cut is the orange highlighted one on the right.

Tomorrow I plan to cut the other highlighted tree.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
GW,
Not to get off of the subject (too far), but I wanted to know how you like your Kodak Z712-IS. I see it around the web now for $199 and the reviews are pretty strong.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I think it's great for an amateur like myself. I can't think of anything I don't like about it, just be ready to buy a rechargeable battery and charger. I think I spent an additional $60 or so. Still, not a bad value at all.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It's great to see you making progress GW.

Betcha didn't know Dave knew so much about trees. But careful asking him questions cause he'll throw in a Pop Quiz every now and then - it's a holdover habit from his former life as a teacher.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Here's the Oaks after I cut the two straight ones. The three trees remaining from left to right; Water Oak, Live Oak, Holly. All of these trees were pretty choked out by undergrowth and grape vines so they should start to fill out this summer.

Before thinning.

Putting out the fire after several days of burning stumps and tops.

8 inch siphon for my 1/4 acre pond. By using two 90's he was able to adjust to the slope.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great pix. Thank you. Keep 'em coming.

That putting out the fire photo looks like somebody dropping a bomb on the dirt mover!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
From my experience with fires and a dozer don't push up the pile from the downwind side.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Off to a great start GW!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
GW I like the tree work. Thanks for the pics. Will you be through in time for spring stocking ?

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks ewest. My plan for stocking involves FHs and collecting indigenous fish.

Here's the water we had on Friday when the pond construction finished. My medium sized dog had to swim to get across so I'm guessing it was about 1 1/2 feet deep.

Here's the water today.

I'm wondering if I can put some FH's in soon. (like, today...) I can transfer some that were stocked into my neighbor's pond last fall and also some of their offspring.

1.Can the FH survive this new water?

2.Will the yoy from last fall be ready to spawn this spring?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I wouldn't mess with any type of fish until the water has a nice plankton base. That stuff is really nothing but muddy water.

PATIENCE!

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Oh.

I thought FH could tolerate muddy water...

\:\(

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
They might be able to tolerate it but certainly don't do well. Actually, I think they could survive in a nuclear waste dump. Give it some time until the water clears and gets fertile. Patience!! (Yeah, I know. I don't have any either.)

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:08 PM
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:59 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves