Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#105558 01/22/08 09:26 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One of our numerous blessings with our LNP project is a nice block of timber with some great walking trails. I would like to create a destination along one of these trails; something like a small screened-in gazebo. I envision it hidden within the woods, just off of the walking trail. We would likely set up some bird feeders (using anti-critter protection).
We have a pretty good population of white-tail deer. Is it practical to set out an automatic feeder to attract them to the area for viewing? I've gotta imagine that they aren't gonna be interested in any feeder if humans are anywhere near the area...right?
-
We are predominantly Hickory, Black Walnut, Maple and Cherry. We have a few Beech trees (probably no more than 10 on the entire 44 ac). Their smooth white bark layer really stands out. We have one nice speciman that I would like to make one of these destinations.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
B-ski, Whitetails are often completely at home with people. Any evening, I can see 4-15 in my fields, or in my Son's viola teacher's subdivision backyard, or in my parent's backyard in town. You probably don't have to feed them; they will come.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I probably wouldnt put out a deer feeder in Illinois, because they are illegal. A mineral or salt block would attract deer to your desired location. Or even just dumping corn or apples in an area will bring them in (that is what I have been told...)
Or planting a small food plot would work too.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bski Theo is right. I have some relatives who have leased a property sense we have been kids. Deer hunting has been going on there sense the 70's. Only 3 years ago my relatives purchased the property and have sense turned it into a perserve. In this short period of time the deer now pay little if any attention to them. They are actually in the process of building their home and the framing crew (strangers) haven't bothered the deer one bit. This guy has been spotted eating corn in their front yard on many occasions. These pictures are in a turnip patch they planted about 100 yards behind the their new house. You might consider planting something that deer like to eat. Personally I'd put a food plot in sight of my cabin or house in addition to the ones you might want to put along your nature trail. You might consider building an elevated tree house structure if you want to get right up on top of the deer for viewing.

If you haven't cut a trail yet rent a tractor and brush hog. You can make a entire system of trails in a matter of hours compared to clearing saplings by hand. You best start putting a tractor in your LNP budget. Have fun and don't kook it to much will ya?

Last edited by rockytopper; 01/23/08 09:35 AM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Prety sure its only illegal to hunt over the feeder not set one up. I know clients of mine that have hutning land in IL use feeders for suplemental feedign once the season is out.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
SPRINGFIELD- The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) is reminding Illinois residents and visitors of the state’s ban on the feeding of wild deer and other wildlife in areas where wild deer are present. The ban was enacted in 2002 as part of the state’s continuing effort to limit the spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in the Illinois wild deer herd.

The ban includes food, salt, mineral blocks and other food products, with some exceptions. For example, bird and squirrel feeders close to homes and incidental feeding of wildlife within active livestock operations are exempt from the ban. For a complete list of the exemptions see the administrative rule 17 Illinois Administrative Code Part 635 on the IDNR web site at http://dnr.state.il.us/legal/adopted/635.pdf

I would probably just go with planting some food plots.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in saying that the concern over CWD is that in most deer feeding the deer tend to get real close together and rub noses and mouths?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sounds logical? I think they try to discourage the deer from congregating and spreading the disease faster.

You can sell deer feeders in Illinois, but you cant use them. Many stores here also sell the salt and mineral blocks that are illegal to use?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bski buy a cow.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Nate thanks My clients are feeding away in Ill. either they are clueless or just do not care. Yes Bruce CWD in theory spreads more rapidly when deer come in close contact thus the reasoning.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper
Bski buy a cow.

...to feed the deer?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I would think that a large cow would feed a small herd of deer for at least a week.

Hey Bski what about planting a food plot as N8ly suggested. I have been thinking about that lately. I have read about several food plot seed mixes that you basically just scatter across the ground, jump back, and then wait for mother nature to do the rest.

Seems to me a lot easier than feeding them cows anyway.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When the trees leaf out, the sun don't shine (or is highly filtered) in most all my wooded areas. The reason I want to make these areas as points of destination is the wooded seclusion. I prefer to not thin it out. Is there food plot product that is shade tolerant?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Have you considered putting a food plot in your cleared area you already have?

Last edited by rockytopper; 01/24/08 01:58 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
There are some shade tolerant deer food sources . Honeysuckle is one that is very high in food value for deer with the added benefit of being pleasant to smell.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/jp_honeysuckle.htm in ILL.

but see this

Illegal Plants - Kudzu and six varieties of buckthorn, all exotic species that can take over the landscape and choke out native plants, are now illegal in Illinois. The new law adds kudzu and six non-native species of buckthorn (common buckthorn, glossy buckthorn, saw-toothed buckthorn, dahurian buckthorn, Japanese buckthorn and Chinese buckthorn) to the list of Illinois exotic weeds, making it illegal to buy, sell or plant these species in Illinois. These species join Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica), multiflora rose (Rosa multiflora) and purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) on the exotic weed list.

Plants in forest openings highly preferred by deer

include Japanese honeysuckle, blackberry, greenbriar,

strawberry bush, persimmon, ash, and oaks. The

protein content and yield of these plants can be raised

by fertilization, which should help attract deer. Using a

timed-release fertilizer high in nitrogen, such as 36-3-7,

will save time, effort and cost, and will minimize loss of

nitrogen through leaching and volatilization.

Rye grass seed planted just before the leaves fall will probably do ok.

Last edited by ewest; 01/24/08 02:41 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We planted a pretty heavy dose of red and yellow clover in the 3 zones we opened up around the pond. The Ill wildlife biologist and NRCS guy recommended them, along with other cool season grasses that we also planted. They said the deer love the clover.
-
We also cleared and planted a zone (about 1/4 ac) with 75 deciduous bushes under the tree canopy, directly adjacent to the pond. It is in an area that is very close to our property line. We wanna create a screen barrier that is bird and wildlife friendly. I selected Arrowood, Spice Bush, and Nannyberry since they are fairly shade tolerant, have decent growth size potential, and were cheap as mail order. One of the three (I believe the spice bush...?) was listed as popular for deer browse. We planted them as seedlings (24" long sticks) last spring. I noted that about 1/3 of them were constantly getting nipped down to size. Guess I know which are which

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
They said the deer love the clover.

Yep.

Quote:
I selected Arrowood, Spice Bush, and Nannyberry since they are fairly shade tolerant, have decent growth size potential, and were cheap as mail order. One of the three (I believe the spice bush...?) was listed as popular for deer browse.

Darn shame spice bush goes cheap; I've got a spice bush every 34.7" throughout 12 acres of woods - if it went dear, I coulda retired.

I don't think it's the one the deer like, at least not around here. Neither deer nor cattle seem to ever touch the stuff. We do have a nice crop of spicebush swallowtails every year, though.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump