Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,099
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad), 709 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#105099 01/17/08 09:53 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
....when your pond is dug, fish are stocked, species balanced (?), and original goals pretty much complete but in constant state of review????

I posted a “fishin” topic for the New Year a few weeks ago with no response…
I was hoping for some ice fishing stories and pictures.
The forum is boring - winter doldrums?
What are you going to do about it?

Fishing last week was good but arctic blast will slow things down for a while.
Fish still feeding but turned feeders off until water warms – found a big tilapia floater - algae starting already – pond will be a mess soon but that’s when fishing is really good – ordered 25 lbs tilapia for spring delivery - so what am supposed to do now?

Aeration pump serviced – feeders serviced …

I know that Mother Nature can pull some severe pranks but ponds are full after suffering through major droughts but can’t control Mother Nature….

Spent the past few days organizing tackle – even practiced honing my fly-casting skills – think I’ll tie some flies – working on a rear-weighted fly that will “walk the dog”….

Guess an early case of spring fever – gotta go fishin’

What are you going to do?

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Lunker
George, I am going to go punch some holes in the ice Saturday if the wind is not blowing 20-30 mph. The highs here this weekend will be in the upper teens, add in an ugly wind chill and I might just stay indoors instead.

Last edited by Shorty; 01/17/08 10:00 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
George, I am going to go punch some holes in the ice Saturday if the wind is not blowing 20-30 mph. The highs here this weekend will be in the upper teens, add in an ugly wind chill and I might just stay indoors instead.

Wow...a warming trend! We have single digits predicted + gusty wind chill. I shiver to think that I might be found trying to install a trash rack on a spillway pipe. Thanks Rocky-T...

Lunker
Lunker
Just for Brettski, here is the wind chill forcast in the Lincoln area fot this weekend.

http://www.hamweather.net/local/us/ne/sponheinmer+reservoir/wxn470701.html

I think I'll watch some football.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Lookin at highs around 5 F this Saturday, warming alla way up to 9F on Sunday. If it's not too windy, I may still hit the ice. That is if I can't talk anyone into driving to Prairie Du Chien, WI and a run to Cabela's...too cold to do much else.

Too warm to ice fish last few weeks...up til now.

Previously, though...

Last edited by Matt Clark; 01/17/08 11:49 AM.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
....when your pond is dug, fish are stocked, species balanced (?), and original goals pretty much complete but in constant state of review????

1. Dig another pond
2. Stock another species
3. Invent the Bait Weasel (TM), the handy-dandy device no fisherman should be without that turns leftover (fill in the blank) into valuable, money-saving prepared baits that are completely irrestible to fish! The perfect companion to your Popeil's Pocket Fisherman! If you order before midnight tonight, you get this FREE genuine ninja filet knife and acompanying saddle scabbard! Just $39.99!*
4. Actually get around to practicing my fly casting.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 01/17/08 11:53 AM. Reason: *Bait Weasel offer void where prohibited by good taste.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I didn't know Matt wears a Goatee

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bski don't blame me. I didn't tell the story about my pipe getting stopped up causing a massive dam failure and washing away the RV campers down stream. You know what swayed your mind.

Be sides I don't have time for this, I'm about to go meet DD1 for the first time and buy him the best Mexican Cosine in Cow Town. So get your story straight and leave me out of it. You never lesson to me any way.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
I didn't know Matt wears a Goatee

\:D \:D

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
1. Order the the Bait Weasel (TM), the handy-dandy device no fisherman should be without that turns leftover ELODEA into valuable, money-saving prepared baits that are completely irrestible to fish! I already have a pocket fishman.

2. Extract the Elodea from my pond (see item number 1).

3. After all of the discussion of light tackel fishing poles and reels I asked Santa for a rig for Christmas. He said that although I was borderline between naughty and nice that he would in fact fill this years Christmas order but that if I didn't make significant character modifications before next Christmas that charcoal would be the result. I requested Kingsford Easy Light charcoal (who's kidding who, I ain't changing my ways any time soon). So I have the reel suggested here on Pond Boss and a comparable pole - I can't wait to use it.

4. Continue to learn to fly fish. By the end of last trip I was practicing "hauling" while casting. This fly fishing business is tough to learn. I was getting better at it but still about 40% of the time (41.674% if you must know the exact percentage) my casts were miserable. HELP GEORGE HELP!!!! I have got "how to" DVD that I watch over and over so hopefully this will help.

5. Make plans to attend the Pond Boss convention.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My thing I'm gonna do, is try to find a better way to prepare foods when I'm at the barn. I've been looking at some crazy ceramic thing that I think is called a "green egg". Ever heard of it? Otherwise I'm just visiting my inmates at the farm a couple times a week and feeding them krill and tail-free minnows.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

4. Continue to learn to fly fish....

Start with something a bit easier. I would hold out until Bill Cody comes out with his next book on how to fly the Shuttle.

Last edited by Brettski; 01/17/08 02:34 PM. Reason: first wiseguy crack wasn't stupid enuff
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

Originally Posted By: Shorty

Take pictures Shorty... \:\)

Originally Posted By: Matt Clark
Lookin at highs around 5 F this Saturday, warming alla way up to 9F on Sunday. If it's not too windy, I may still hit the ice. That is if I can't talk anyone into driving to Prairie Du Chien, WI and a run to Cabela's...too cold to do much else.

Too warm to ice fish last few weeks...up til now.
Previously, though...]

Now that’s what I’m talking about – great picture Matt...
OK Cecil you’re up next – how ’bout a pic of your ice shanty...

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: george1

4.Actually get around to practicing my fly casting.

Theo, we’re going to have a fly casting test at the PB convention hall this year – two years of procrastination is time enough – Sunil – you give he test – I’ve up-graded to Negra Modello this year... “the casting principle of progressive loading, in which one false casts the line, building line velocity to fully load the rod”.

1. Order the the Bait Weasel (TM), the handy-dandy device no fisherman should be without that turns leftover
4. Continue to learn to fly fish. By the end of last trip I was practicing "hauling" while casting. This fly fishing business is tough to learn. I was getting better at it but still about 40% of the time (41.674% if you must know the exact percentage) my casts were miserable. HELP GEORGE HELP!!!! I have got "how to" DVD that I watch over and over so hopefully this will help.

5.Make plans to attend the Pond Boss convention.

JHAP congrats on the “hauling” – you can help Sunil test Theo’s casting progress – maybe DIED will be an unwilling judge as well..

Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
My thing I'm gonna do, is try to find a better way to prepare foods when I'm at the barn. I've been looking at some crazy ceramic thing that I think is called a "green egg". Ever heard of it? Otherwise I'm just visiting my inmates at the farm a couple times a week and feeding them krill and tail-free minnows.

Bruce – you ‘da man…

Originally Posted By: Brettski

4. Continue to learn to fly fish....
Start with something a bit easier. I would hold out until Bill Cody comes out with his next book on how to fly the Shuttle.

Cody says “It all Depends”…..

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have a lot of dirt and clay leftover from digging my pond that didnt get removed. ...long story... So Ive decided to build a bulkhead on the back of my dam and backfill it with material.A friend has let me use his bobcat,and man what a cool machine.I got the wall up and started filling it,walking the dirt down to pack it in as I go.Did you know when the wall moves the dirt sinks,the bobcat leans,the wall moves more,the dirt settltes more,the bobcat sinks deeper to the left..........
pucker time \:o
no,thank goodness,I didnt go swimming

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Go back to doing my rain dance. We had an extremely dry fall.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Its supposed to be -12 here tonight with big winds. Brrrrr! We had all three of our LPG tanks filled today for almost $1600 total. Ouch, but we are ready for pretty much any temperature now!

It is a good weekend to watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions on Speed Channel, not to mention a couple football games.

There are always plenty of indoor projects for a one legged man around here, including keeping the three new foot zippers nice and polished.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i dont feel like working.......perhaps some trout fishin tomorrow, will try and get some pics whether i catch any or not....our reservoirs are at all time lows for the last two decades, i'll probably mostly be watching for prop busters....

sunday it'l be and

just thought i'd spice a post up for any who are bored??

goin fishin babeee

early bird gets the

, its cocktail hour

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Man! You guys sound (and look) really bored! Maybe you can help me oversee the building of two ponds...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It is going to be 8 degrees Saturday with 15 mph winds! I havent had any safe ice yet this year, but it will be safe now! If I get out this weekend, I will take some pics for you george! I have access to a pond where I am going to try to break Cecil's Yellow Perch record. This might be the year!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I think all of Dave's moving icons gave me a seizure.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
GW, how ya been buddy?

What do you have in store this year for the Warmouth ponds?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hey Jeff. I've been great, but also busy. The pond builder is finally here and working. Of course the drought seems to have ended just as he began working. The good news is that the site has more water in it than he thought. It also has more clay. I guess I'll start a thread about the project soon...

My diagram isn't perfect of course. The flooded area is about 1/2 acre up into the trees. I think the shoreline on the west side is further up than I drew it. It's hard to judge the perspective.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: GW
I guess I'll start a thread about the project soon...

Please do, you know how we like project photos.

Glad things are going well. That looks like it is going to be a great pond!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Icefishing pics from today! I did not break Cecils perch record this weekend, didn't even come close, but I know she is in there and will try again next weekend!
Did manage enough bluegill, crappie, and perch to have a nice dinner tonight! It was so cold out, the fish would freeze instantly. I thawed out those perch for the picture and they started flopping again!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
great pics nate....well yesterday was guilt loaded (honey do)work around the place....continued work on down trees from our last storm....today i wouldnt have been able to convince my best fishin buddy (wife) to leave the comforts of warm home and conference champ games.....she's a giants fan......

managed an hour or so of bottom jiggin between games, caught some really cold but nice sized BG off pond bottom, but no GSF or RES....it was raw, cold, and windy here today.

GSF are people too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images