Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1), 725 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
We live out in the country on a farmstead; we do have someone that hunts coyotes (took 14 this year). Late at night we heard the pack of coyotes that were very, very close to the house (pond). We hear them all the time, but never this close. My husband thinks they got brave while we were on vacation and were drinking from the pond. Our dog was at the Holiday Doggie Day Care while we were away (rotty). At night because it is cold, we keep him in the garage and he wanted out bad last night but I kept him in. Have any of you had any experiences with coyotes coming extremely close to your pond? I would think my rotty could take care of himself, but not against a pack. Any deterrents you use? Turning the lights on house does scare them away. Just curious.

Last edited by MarkECIN; 12/30/07 08:51 AM.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
My knowledge of wildlife in general, and Warner Brothers cartoons in specific, cause me to have no trouble believing that coyotes would become relatively more carefree in the absence of a rottweiler.

Hopefully someone with more coyote experience can comment. We used to have a lot more coyotes around than we seem to lately. My wife speculates that the bobcat that now frequents the area cuts down on the coyote presence. I can report that two decades worth of our occasionally free roving beagles and labs (our current black lab is outside right now making the farm safe from heffalumps and/or deer) have never had trouble from the 'yotes or bobcats, only road traffic.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I DOUBT that the coyotes would harm the rott. However, I figure whenever all life ceases on Earth, we will still have coyotes, cockroaches and coons. I believe the rott can take care of himself. He is bred and built to be a fighter and the yotes are hunters, not fighters. Taking him on is just not a paying proposition. However, if he gets injured, they will sense it and come for him. While I don't think you have anything to worry about, I believe that you have very little to win by letting him go for them. Consider a motion detector light. They will get used to it and can be shot under it. Once that happens, they will rarely come close. There are other methods but I won't publicly post them. E-Mail me at dave.davidson@charter.net if you want to get rid of them.

Actually, I like and admire coyotes. I know they make a living on deer and other stuff but I just remember the predator/prey balance that is absolutely necessary. If I had chickens, it would be different. I hate chickens.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/31/07 06:31 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
The motion light may work for now vs more drastic measures I may partake. Maybe there is a solar type one out there that I can place on my small shed vs house. I know deer come to the pond area but not as much when Trump (dog) is out there; they outrun him anyway. When he was small he tried several times to catch deer, it was funny--he didn't have a chance. I think they sense where his underground fence line is as did the geese for awhile until we moved the fence where he could go totally around the pond. \:\) Another thing, there have been several times that my dog howls like the coyotes--do you think he is conversing with them???? One type dog to another or is this just dog howling as they do such.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I've never heard a rott howl so I figure he has learned something. Only Doc Dolittle knows what he is saying.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Do not underestimate the yotes or you might be burying your dog. Lead is a good method and once I used fish left in a ice chest for 5 days (terrible smell). Here is a pic. If you look close you can see fish remains/bones.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
MarkECIN,
Here is a link to a solar motion light. I installed one for almost the same reason and it works great for now. I have alot of gray foxes visiting my daughters two ducks and installed this on a tree and it chases them away for now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93661

Dreaming of the pond!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
MarkECIN,
Here is a link to a solar motion light. I installed one for almost the same reason and it works great for now. I have alot of gray foxes visiting my daughters two ducks and installed this on a tree and it chases them away for now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93661

Dreaming of the pond!
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Sounds good. Thanks y'all. I'm going to try that light and if not, I know what will have to be done next.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Brian, How big is the area that it lights? I'm trying to picture a 10 watt lamp as being useful for anything but a small glow.

I bought a couple of small rechargable solars from Harbor Freight a couple of days ago. Five bucks each. I figure I could put them by a corn feeder and shoot nocturnal hogs. I'm just now getting them charged but not sure if they will produce enough light even when using my scope.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Wouldn't you know it. My husband is in his office looking over the pond (9:30 a.m.-DAYLIGHT) and what cuts across in front of him across the pond levee--you got it, a coyote. Brave creatures aren't they. Guess that confirms they are coming to the pond which is less than 50' from house.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dave,
It doesnt cover a big area (maybe 30 feet) but it chases the fox away.
As far as the solar lights I have three in front of my shed and I am only able to get a good view out of my scope if the critters are right in front of it.

Dreaming of the pond!
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Brian, I ordered two lights today. Hope this works with the night pack that's been coming close. Thanks. D

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Brian, I put out my 2 "popular priced" solar lights last night in the back yard. They are about 30 ft from my back door and virtually useless. I placed them about 6 ft apart with a green pump sprayer between them. Can't see the pump sprayer through a cheapo 4 power scope.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I had a rott that howled but she really couldn't carry a tune. Sirens always got her going. I can't imagine a coyote or even a pack coming after such a powerful creature unless she was already seriously injured. I have two labs and I have observed the coyotes coming within 25 yards of them on a couple of occasions but the coyotes didn't seem all that interested in my dogs even with they were barking at them. I keep a .223 handy for such opportunities.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dave, I have a couple of those "good" solar lights. The moon glow is 10X brighter than those lights. \:\)

I prefer the scope-mounted spotlight on my .223 rifle for scaring them off.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Red Dot sights are nice for night shooting.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ryan, My rott also howls at sirens; must hurt their ears. We noticed it with him as a puppy and thought he would outgrow it but he never did.

I honestly believe my dog is conversing with the coyotes, now whether good or bad, I don't know. I believe he could hold his own, I just don't want to put them in harm. I can hear the coyotes outside right now (7:00 a.m. but it's dark) and also some dogs barking but my pond area seems free of them at the moment. Waiting for my lights and if all else, other measures will prevail.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
He may be conversing. That combination would make some ugly coydogs.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Our dog is 'fixed' thank goodness. Well, we have been seeing the coyote daily now about 8:30 a.m. in the field by the pond (he probably has been going to the pond to drink). We watched him yesteday as he was catching/killing/eating either mice or moles. Don't laugh, I got my BB gun out just to see if he would run...the noise made him go a little ways and when I went outside he did move farther, watch me, as I approached, moved farther and finally ran off. My dog was watching him also (but his boundry line (underground fence) won't allow him by the pond (scared he would fall in ice, so we limit him in winter). Living on a farm is great buy sure leaves a lot of hiding spaces for these nuisances, when in season we do have someone who hunts traps them. I've been here 10 years and had never seen one, less than see on in daylight--must be more or they are just getting unafraid of people as the population increases in the country here.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails