Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've had a heron show up in the evenings in my newly filling pond (via well water) after my renovation and rotenone treatment. He seems to have pecked at something tonight but didn't stick around very long. I'm hoping there were no survivors!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I know they kill a few fish they don't eat..... never heard of the opposite. Our turkey buzzards get right to them after they die. The heron must have figured on greener ponds elsewhere.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
When I had my major die off they didn't seem to eat any of them. Around here the buzzards and turtles get rid of them.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks guys. He seems to have lost interest in that pond but I caught him in the trout pond watching the trout nail pellets the wind has blown into a corner. I'm getting a permit for next year to nail him if need be. It's a $100.00 dollars but worth peace of mind. If someone turns me in I can produce the permit from the Fish & Wildlife Service. I can't risk the introduction of the VHS virus, and it's really annoying when they stick big fish. Of course I am doing everything nonlethal as possible to discourage them.

They are as common as flies in my area.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/06/07 06:55 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
George,
I have a heron problem as well. I bought a crossman co2 pellet gun and at least for now they have stopped stopping by. The instructions said to fire one or two times without a pellet because these shots might be under powered. The second shot, sounded like a .22 and scared the heron off, he returned once more and opening the screen door scared him off and he has yet to return, about two weeks. I have yet to fire a pellet, but I want to.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I have a Crossman, also. It scares turtles so much, they never come back up.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'd like to have one of those pellet guns. They are neat "tools".

Cecil, I understand your situation regarding neighbors but I prefer more permanent discouragements.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Is a Crossman co2 pellet gun powerful enough to kill a big CC or GC within 25-30 ft range?

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I'd like to have one of those pellet guns. They are neat "tools".

Cecil, I understand your situation regarding neighbors but I prefer more permanent discouragements.

Well Dave I do too, but you can get into a heep of trouble up here if they catch you shooting one without a permit. I know a doctor that did and they fined the *iss out of him and made him do community service. It would be a real gamble for me as cars drive by on the highway all the time, and you never know if some do gooder would see you. Many people have the misconception since they are protected by the Federal government they are endangered. Not so.

And one more thing. My premises can be inspected at any time without a permit as a taxidermist. Alledegly conservation officers don't need a warrant, although I have colleages that say that is no longer the case.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rad
George,
I have a heron problem as well. I bought a crossman co2 pellet gun and at least for now they have stopped stopping by. The instructions said to fire one or two times without a pellet because these shots might be under powered. The second shot, sounded like a .22 and scared the heron off, he returned once more and opening the screen door scared him off and he has yet to return, about two weeks. I have yet to fire a pellet, but I want to.

Like Anold he'll be back. They are very, very, persistant birds if they find a honey hole.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/07/07 09:15 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Is a Crossman co2 pellet gun powerful enough to kill a big CC or GC within 25-30 ft range?

Probably not, having been shot once by a Crossman pellet gun I am pretty sure the answer is NO, the penetration was a little over an inch without going through any water first. They are powerful enough to kill a bullfrog sitting on the bank, just don't let your friend try and shoot the frog in the air while you toss it his way, you might get shot. ;\)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
Probably not, having been shot once by a Crossman pellet gun I am pretty sure the answer is NO, the penetration was a little over an inch without going through any water first. They are powerful enough to kill a bullfrog sitting on the bank, just don't let your friend try and shoot the frog in the air while you toss it his way, you might get shot. ;\)

Air rifles are a case of ya get what ya pays for. A standard Crossman bought say at Walmart for under $100 won't have much velocity (under 500fps). If you spring for a better air rifle you can get them with a velocity of over double that (1,000 fps and up).

I bought a Remington that packs a fairly good punch. I can tell you that I sure wouldn't want to get hit by it.

But as usual I digress, Cecil what about some kind of scare tactic. In various catalogs that I get I have found pistol like things that make lots of noise to scare birds (might tee off neighbors though) can use legally use one of those to scare off the birds?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
Jeffhasapond, the Crossman 760 I was shot with had velocity of approximatley 700 fps at 10 pumps, it had been pumped up 16 times just before I got shot, yep, that's 6 more pumps than recommended. I am pretty sure it was pushing 1000 fps when I got hit in the finger. \:o The other thing is that I have spent some plinking time shooting at 1-2" BG with .22 handgun at the pond, even with a .22 the water slows the bullet down significatly before getting to the fish. I have doubt you could kill a CC or GC with a .22 if they are more than 6" under the surface.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jeff,

I have had my dog run the same heron off time after time. I have made loud noises, etc. etc. only to have one fly off a little ways and wait me out -- whether it be in a tall tree or in the nearby cornfield. Then the bird is back. I have used strings placed along the shore to discourage them. I have very steep banks they are not supposed to be able to feed on. Wrong! They are a very adaptive and clever bird. In many ways I respect them. I believe if they have found a good thing they will be back. And considering we can't always be there...

I have them fly over at a pretty good height and believe they are good at scaning an area and are probably always scouting for new areas. And of course being as territorial as they are, when they reproduce the offspring have to move to new territories.

I know a fish farmer that shoots them on a regular basis. He says one always takes the place of the killed heron within a days or weeks. Never fails.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/07/07 07:31 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
BTW anyone ever use a CB .22 round? I was told they are as silent as a BB gun. If I get my permit next year, and have to shoot one, I don't want to get anyone's attention even if I am legal.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
BTW anyone ever use a CB .22 round? I was told they are as silent as a BB gun. If I get my permit next year, and have to shoot one, I don't want to get anyone's attention even if I am legal.

Yes, the low velocity CB .22 rounds are very quiet Cecil.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
Jeffhasapond, the Crossman 760 I was shot with had velocity of approximatley 700 fps at 10 pumps, it had been pumped up 16 times just before I got shot, yep, that's 6 more pumps than recommended. I am pretty sure it was pushing 1000 fps when I got hit in the finger. \:o The other thing is that I have spent some plinking time shooting at 1-2" BG with .22 handgun at the pond, even with a .22 the water slows the bullet down significatly before getting to the fish. I have doubt you could kill a CC or GC with a .22 if they are more than 6" under the surface.

Hey kids, let me pretend to be your momma for a minute and caution against shooting at the water with any rifle rounds.

Oh, and there are some Gamo pellet guns shooting at 1600 FPS with PBA Raptor ammunition. http://www.gamo.com/

There is a video around of a guy using one to kill a 200 lb boar with a head shot.

Last edited by Pottsy; 11/07/07 01:55 PM.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Jeff,

I have had my dog run the same heron off time after time. I have made loud noises, etc. etc. only to have one fly off a little ways and wait me out -- whether it be in a tall tree or in the nearby cornfield. Then the bird is back. I have used strings placed along the shore to discourage them. I have very steep banks they are not supposed to be able to feed on. Wrong! They are a very adaptive and clever bird. In many ways I respect them. I believe if they have found a good thing they will be back. And considering we can't always be there...

Jeez, persistent birds aren't they. I should have remembered this but in 2006 there was a large heron (we get large white herons and a small brown heron) that was patrolling the shore and enjoying his fill of fish. I paddled the kayak over the the shoreline and waived my arms and yelled - the heron just cocked his head and looked at me. So I paddled closer and back slapped the water with my kayak paddle and splashed the heron. He then turned towards me and spread out his wings and flapped them at me. Standing at full height and with his wings spread out and with his long sharp beak he was an impressive critter. I decided that I wouldn't disturb his meal anymore. I could just picture myself trying to fend off a 4 foot bird intent on stabbing my eyes out while paddling furiously away in the kayak. All I could think of was the Monty Python line.....

"Run away, run way, run away"

Anyhoo, hopefully you'll get your permit Cecil and end the problem.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Jeez, persistent birds aren't they.
One must remember that most of us are at the pond for fun. The heron is there to make a living, so barring extreme prejudice, he'll out-persist us.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Absolutely and I don't fault him for that. He is doing what he evolved to do.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
....as are you.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Absolutely!

As a species we are the top predator and we are the most destructive.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/08/07 01:35 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I resemble that remark. The Herons and other predators (rural neighbors) think that I ought to wear a sign saying "Doesn't play well with others". I earned that sign.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??