Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#105755 01/24/08 09:27 PM
O
OKIE Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
I have a well that feeds a small runoff draw and controls the water level of one of my ponds. Where the well head enters the draw we have dug a deep hole where the water is backed up and it begins to waterfall down this draw with several other waterfall points to help add oxygen to the water. I made the hole quite deep in an attempt to avoid vegatation problems but the water is so clear I am finding a big buildup of filamentous algae. The algae is infiltrating the runoff draw and of course now the pond.
I am concerned as this is winter and I can only imagine how bad this might get when summer comes? Any ideas on what to do to head this off at the pass? Seems as though maybe the well water has minerals or something that is promoting the algae?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If it is isolated in the bed of a draw it should be easy to treat with a copper product . See this link at the top for copper product labels.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/labmsds.html#imazapyr

Also hydrated lime in an isolated area will kill FA by raising the pH to high for it (or anything else) to live. It will wash into your pond though which may be good if you have low alkalinity or bad if you have high alkalinity.

See this for mgt options.
http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/algae/filamentous_algae_mgmt.htm

Last edited by ewest; 01/24/08 09:40 PM.

O
OKIE Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
Thanks for your thoughts. I am concerned how well simply using an additive like you mention since the pool of water at the top of the draw is spilling over and running down the draw to the pond. Seems as though unless I treat everyday it will just run down the draw and be gone? I have thought maybe the minerals in the well water were some how promoting the algae but I have also noticed the algae beginning to be a problem in a small pond I have near my gate that has no well water being added. Do you think the approach of adding the material to control will be wasted with the main pool constantly spilling over into the draw?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Okie it won't necessarily be worse in summer as some algaes grow better in cold water. I'm sure the clarity of your well water is allowing it to get lots of sunshine which fuels it.

Bill Cody should be able to chime in on this as he is an algae expert.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I agree with Cecil. Our water is coming from the ground, and the algae is probably a little worse right now, than it was in the summer. We are just about an hour north of you. Must be an algae that likes cooler temps.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I have well water feeding a lake we are filling and have the same issue. The well water definitely promotes the algae growth over what would other wise be the case. I believe this is due to the clarity of the water along with increased carbonate alkalinity and hardness in the well as compared to a typical lake or pond. It is not unusual to find ground water in most of the US with at least 100 ppm total alkalinity (exceptions are in the SE US)while typical lake waters run lower. I do know that there are specific types of FA that gropw well in highly alkaline hard water. One type is Lyngbya, a blue-green filamentous alga usually found in alkaline lakes and ponds, another is Hydrodictyon which grows only in hard water.

Last year we had quite a FA growth near where the well water enters the lake. This lasted till around mid-June, when it began to die back. Around mid-summer, the water had cleared of algae.
Right now I have a healthy FA growth going, but it is mainly attached to subsurface areas and not floating. Based on last years results, I am not too worried about the FA. I do plan on stocking additional Tilapia this year to handle FA issues as well as feed the LMB.

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...