Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl
18,507 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,970
Posts558,046
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,548
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 455 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, that's the way I remember relays. I just got a little confused with the BS (response).
I'm still cookin' on this one.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dont forget about the robotics concept.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I really like the remote idea. Combining the remote with the DC servo that Lee Smith recommends is a front runner. The only problem with that package, tho, is the loss of the adjustable positioning control that the hardwired option offered. Losing the adjustments of different choke positions could be a deal breaker. It is possible that I may have to use both the remote and the hard-wiring to achieve the ultimate package. Or...maybe cash it all in for a raincoat and a pair of size 12 Froggy boots.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Huuummm more thinking to do. Good thing I've had lots of coffee this morning.

Off the top of my head, actuating the servo with positioning information will be a "doozey." (as my Grandmother used to say)

I used one of these remote units to build a "I've fallen and I can't get up" alarm for my mother-in-law. It activates a modified security alarm with auto dial-out capability to dial up to 5 phone numbers in sequence and play a pre-recorded message that she needs help. Beats paying a $150 a month for a monitored service, and it does the job reliably.

When activated by the remote unit, a small DC motor is driven back and forth which moves an Infrared LED across the front of the intruder alarm, which it thinks is some scumbag breaking into your house, and it calls the authorities to come and bag the guy up and take him to the morgue.

There may be a way to do some "technology transfer" and get closer to solving your problem Brettski. The motor could be used to drive the choke lever maybe.

Let me have a few more cups of Java and see if any great revelations come my way today.

Lee

Last edited by Lee Smith; 03/16/08 11:25 AM.
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Prowling around on EBay, I noticed this .. which provides a variable output voltage from 0 to 5 volts rather than a relay closure. Voltage is increased or decreased with a pair of "up/down" buttons.

The published "power required specs" are weird though .. says 36 volts .. which logic would tell me is a max, with it most likely running on 12 volts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RF-Wireless-Dynamic-...1742.m153.l1262

Last edited by Lee Smith; 03/16/08 12:54 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
B'ski, I just don't see a problem. You have a wife. Just tell her to go start the generator. What could be easier?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Dave ... let me guess ... you're single right?

Here's what I've come with so far Brettski ....

Here are a few links to a servo driver which will take the switched output of the RC receiver and run a servo to any position throughout its range of movement by means of pressing the "up/down" buttons.

Cost is $20 from these folks http://www.york-electronics.com/index.htm

You can jump right to a nice little video which explains & shows it works ... you can ignore some of the advanced features like servo sweep ... most of what you'll want to see is in the first half of the video to get the idea.

As the builder is pushing on the buttons on the servo driver, envision yourself pushing the buttons on the RC unit from inside the house, and it doing the pushing of the buttons on the servo driver via the relays on the board of the RC unit. The servo responds to your commands via the servo driver into which your servo is plugged as per the video.

You'll need to solder a pair of wires onto the "up/down" switch contacts of the servo driver circuit board, and then attach those wires to the relay contacts of the RC receiver.

http://www.york-electronics.com/videos/ytv_wmv_cycler.wmv

Here's a suitable RC unit which uses on/off functions rather than the one I mentioned earlier with variable output voltages, this one was mentioned by a previous poster. http://cgi.ebay.com/RF-Wireless-Remote-C...1742.m153.l1262

Took me quite a few hours to track this little unit down Brettski, I hope it isn't too complicated for you ... just thinkin' out loud, if the soldering onto the circuit board is going to be troublesome for you, I'll bet the builder of the servo driver would solder on some pigtails for you if you asked.

There still is the matter of getting this to run directly from the 12 volt battery in your gen-set, but we can work on that later. In the meantime, this could be run by 4 D cell flashlight batteries for a very long time.

Regards,
Lee

Last edited by Lee Smith; 03/17/08 09:56 AM.
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Well, now I'm reduced to replying to my own threads .. LOL

Since doing all that other websurfing, I stumbled across this RC unit which will work from 12 volts directly, do away with the RC servo, and allow you to control a DC motor position directly.

Here's the link to the RC unit. http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-DC-motor-bidirec...tem150225796442

You'll use that to drive a geared DC motor like this one with an arm added to run to the choke lever. http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DCM-276/400400/5_RPM_GEAR_MOTOR,_12VDC_.html

A much simpler process all round ... what's the expression? Too late we grow smart, too soon we grow old?

How's that one sound Brettski?

Lee

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 04/29/24 10:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 04/29/24 09:41 PM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food