Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (H20fwler, BillyE, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 746 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Background and goals:
Got our new pond plugged in October. Currently have a decent amount of water (see pictures) and wonder how much I need before starting stocking. The estimated final size will be 2+ acres. We did get lime spread on pond bottom before closing valve. Some structure for fish was incorporated into the pond at the upper end next to the fishing dock we built. I intend to post more pictures later since I know how much I've enjoyed learning from other's posts.

A couple of small springs run into the pond so we're slooooowly filling even without rain. During the last couple weeks of November a couple of inches of rain raised the "puddle" level 2+ feet. The water level ranges from 1 foot at the upper end to 6 feet or so at the dam - there was an existing spring channel that is filling first. Full water level at the dam will be 18 feet.

Goal is to have a low management pond with fun fishing for family. We certainly plan to eat some of what we catch. Plans are for a typical bluegill and bass lake based on what I've read here and in books. No plans to fertilize. Based on my reading I'm thinking we'll stock 500 bluegill per acre (1000 total) as soon as possible and then 50 bass per acre (100 total) in June or so to let the bluegill get a head start.

So, when can we think about putting in fish? We don't normally have much ice in Central Alabama (60s and 70s this week) if that makes any difference.

Thanks for input on when and whether this plan makes sense.

Picture from dam showing how much water there is - water is approx 5 to 6 feet deep in the deepest part below drain standpipe.

Picture from the bank showing how much is left to fill.

Psalm 24:1-2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Someone else would need to comment on this, but would the lime be too concentrated right now as the pond is not filled?

Leaving that aside, I would think that you could stock fathead minnows right now. I would also think you could start some of the bluegill stocking now although there may not be too much growth between now and next spring '08. Up here in the North, we wouldn't get too much bluegill growth over the winter, but down in Alabama...

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tim unless you are going to feed the fish it is to cold (water temps)and to muddy for the selected fish to grow (or even survive winter in good condition). There is plenty of water to stock some FH if you will feed them but that is the most I would do until the water is clearer and warmer(55-60 F and warming).

Is the entire dirt area going to be under water? I would put some rye grass seed on all the dirt areas even if they are going to be under water.

Your fish #s are ok assuming you will be using 2 in stocker fish. I would add 10 lbs of FH as well. If you are going to use your schedule then I would add 30 adult BG (both sexes) when you add the small stocker BG as well.

Assuming water fills over winter and no feeding :

Late Feb add 10 lbs FH
March 15 +- add 1000 2in BG and 30 4-6in BG both sexes ( I would also add 200 2in RES)
Late June add 100 2 in LMB.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Thanks, Sunil and ewest. I guess I'll forget about looking for fish right now.

ewest:
  • Please clarify the need for adult bluegill (spawning?). I haven't seen this recommendation in the state literature I've read.
  • I'd also like to better understand the role of RES in this scenario - are they just a different type of panfish?.
  • You also said "if you are going to use your schedule....." - is there a better timeframe/strategy I should use to end up with a low maintenance bluegill/bass pond?

I appreciate your time.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tim all ponds with fish require maintenance to be good fisheries - some more than others. LMB/BG ponds require more maintenance than some - less than others. They have a tendency to get overcrowded by LMB over time or in a few situations by BG.

State agency recommendations are very conservative, as they should be, based on their client needs. Because they have to be right over a broad spectrum of conditions and people and can't put anyone in a position where the advice may fail they must stick to a very narrow set of guidelines/recommendations. They are changing but the publications are old and based on dated info wrt pond management. They do recommend using RES however. Often in stocker size fish BG and RES are raised together and sold together in a 80% BG 20% RES mix. RES are a panfish that fits a mostly different forage niche from BG so competition between them for food is minimal. In addition RES eat snails which are a host for grubs which infect fish. Less snails means less grub infestations. Using RES results in better pond efficiency and a healthier pond.

A normal stocking sequence for a BG/LMB pond is 2in BG in the spring followed by 2in LMB in the early fall. If you are going to reduce the time between their stocking from 6 mths to 2 mths I would use some adult BG as insurance against the risk that the early stocked LMB would eat to many of the BG. The 30 adult BG will spawn in the summer and provide the right size BG fry for the LMB to eat along with the newly spawned FH fry. In addition those 30 BG will be to big for LMB predation for several years and will help with overall BG size by suppressing early spawning in barely mature male BG. Your sequence is also one that is recommended but IMO when used it is wise to add some insurance. The concept is to be sure using either plan that your stocker BG which are your future brood fish do not get eaten before they spawn in the proportion of 10 BG per LMB. Using a few adult BG insures this and gives you 3 year classes of BG before the LMB spawn. IMO this is a better method in southern ponds.

Last edited by ewest; 12/05/07 08:57 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, whaddayaknow, Tim...TaaDaa!
No fish stuff from this hamandegger. Just big time congrats for a great looking project. Looks like it came together for ya...real well.
Fish stuff aside, any further plans on your potential roof design for the tree fort?
-
For those that don't remember, this is the beginning of the trail that carried Tim to this great destination. Did you wind up constructing this beauty in the lower west draw?

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Thank you, ewest, for the info. I'll consider stocking the bass in the fall. If I do that does that mean I don't need the larger BG?

Thanks, Brettski. We're pleased with the results so far and, like all new pond owners, are anxious to see the pond filled up. We did build the pond in the lower west draw. I wish you had been here to chronicle the pond-building for us - it's a little overwhelming to try to reconstruct the story for posting. Fortunately I did keep a general log and took some pictures, so in my spare time \:D I'll work on it.

As far as the roof on the tree house, we decided to provide shade without a solid roof. We made a pergola-like set of flat rafters and then put PT lattice on top. This gives us shade but retains the airy feel of a tree. If it rains we'll need an umbrella or tarp to stay dry, but we don't expect to spend too many rainy days out there. We then added a crows nest so you can stand on top of the tree trunk and get a great view.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How far up the treehouse trunk will the normal pool creep? It will give us all a better perspective of how much water is yet to come.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Good question. All I can say is that it's going to be hard to keep Pirates away from that roost.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
The water level will be just above the point where the diagonal braces are attached to the trunk. Water depth should be 8 or 9 feet at the tree. All of the area not covered by grass or trees should be covered by water.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes a late summer or early fall stocking of LMB if they are 2-4 in. will alleviate the need for adult BG stocking the prior spring. I would plant some grass seed on that bare dirt to hold down turbidity (muddy pond) now and later and to aid the newly stocked fish's forage.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You can add me to your list of "dang, I can't wait to see 'er all filled up". It is going to be awesome within that great setting. Without blowing your (potential) PB documentary of construction, how much acreage did you have to clear to gain the site?

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
We cleared only to the waterline on much of the shore. The additional pond-related clearing was for:
  • the dam area
  • a picnic/gathering area along one section of shore
  • a road system around the pond area (we cut this back into the woods so that you can't see it from the pond but can see the pond from the road)
  • the borrow area for the dam clay on one of the adjoining hill tops

The whole pond area clearing might be 3 to 4 acres and the borrow area about 2 acres. We also had other clearing for future home/shop buildings.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023