Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,528
Members18,531
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 276 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I would really like to make my own bathymetric map of my new 11-12 acre pond/lake. Anyone ever done this?

One should be able to accomplish this with a decent GPS unit, a depth finder and a boat. But how in the world would I combine and compile the data? Is there an easier way? Any depth finders that have the ability to generate a contour map over time (for instance from trolling the surface over time)?

I know I could hire someone to do this, but I would really like to do it myself as it seems like a fun project.

Anyone ever done or tried to do it? Any advice?

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Contact Greg Grimes he has a lake mapping program that is really neat.

http://www.lakework.com/lake_services.php

See info near end of the link.

Last edited by ewest; 11/07/07 09:32 AM.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Weissguy,

To do it yourself, you need a GIS software package like ArcMap (ArcView). It is pricey software. If I were you, I would talk to the former owner of the pond. Scott has access to the software. You are correct, though, the only other equipment you need is a GPS unit and depthfinder. I've made several maps and would be happy to tell you how to do it.

I read your other post about your recent fishing trip. I knew that lake was stacked with large gillies. I would bet everything that I own, that you put more fishing pressure on that pond this past weekend than that pond has experienced in its 8 year existence. You could not have found a more "virgin" body of water that size in this area. I would caution you to seriously think about not culling the bass IF you are serious about establishing black crappie.

I am envious of the ice fishing potential that your pond has. Just think about all of those big slab bluegill!!!! When the time gets right, Rogers Lures in Liberty is one of the few sources for waxworms.

If you really want a map, I would strongly encourage you to speak with Scott. Take care. Shawn

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Shawn,

Thanks for the advice. Scott came out and greeted me at the lake on Friday and offered to do a shock survey some time. Very nice of him to offer. He also left me some potted aquatic plants from one of his projects. I'll have to ask him about the mapping stuff when I see him next. The lake has a TON of variety in habitat and terrain. Definately not your typical round predictable depth farm pond.

You were right on about the bluegill. It was a real treat to see such quality BG's this weekend. I can only imagine what peak time will be like next year, though I'm sure I won't be able to resist the urge to drill a hole in the ice and wet a line this winter.

After doing the research and hearing your words of caution in regard to black crappie, I have decided to put that desire on hold, probably indefinately. I just couldn't stomach messing up what Scott has managed to accomplish with my selfish desire to add crappie. I still can't get over how clear the water is even though it appears it's experiencing a small algal bloom at the moment. The lake seems so healthy. I just can't believe it's actually mine. How can one person be so lucky???

Funny you mention Rogers. It's my nephew's favorite place to buy gear. He should have a VIP card given the amount of stuff he's bought there! \:\)

Thanks again for the advice Shawn. At some point I'll probably be bugging you about your opinion on adding diffusers to this lake. I hear you're the man for that around here.

Take Care!

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Don Wallace, scott69
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/16/24 11:22 PM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by RAH - 05/16/24 05:58 PM
Spawn Identification
by Fishingadventure - 05/16/24 05:03 PM