Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,908
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 536 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
ewest #101167 11/03/07 08:33 AM
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Well I'll be danged if that isn't encouraging.

Thanks ewest!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Jeff,

I just can't keep up with you when you're off your lithium!!!

Why to people keep telling me that?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
ewest #101170 11/03/07 10:16 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: ewest
GW what kind of info are you looking for? See chart below on their genetic closeness.

Very interesting Ewest. And if I'm reading this genetic chart correctly it appears as though Warmouth and GSF are very closely related.

It also appears that about 34.5 million years ago cave men only had one sunfish to fish for. Course it was probably 12 feet long, weighed a half a ton and ate prehistoric minnows (which were 4 feet long and weighed 60 to 70 lbs).

Good stuff Ewest.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Sunil #101171 11/03/07 10:28 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Yolk, how do you feel about starting a new thread regarding the 5-6 acre pond and the tiger muskie? I'd like to hear about any existing fish in the pond, you know, all the back story.

Actually I would be interested in that also.

Originally Posted By: Sunil

Man, what resources does the GSA have?

Unfortunately, not much in the way of resources. The New York times article did not encourage people to contribute to the GSA. This forced the GSA to hire a publicity management firm so we could portray a kinder, gentler, side of the GSA. That is why after requesting the GPS coordinates from Yolk and Bill (which we need in order to properly aim our death ray. The lack of exact coordinates could result in a unfortunate event such as lighting a mini-mall on fire and frankly we just can't afford that much bad press) you will notice that I wished them both to have a nice day. It's all about managing public opinion. And thanks for asking Sunil (see how that's done?).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

ewest #101172 11/03/07 10:39 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Fish on the Farm – What Species to Select
Samuel Lovejoy

Ok, now you're just making up resources Ewest. Samuel Lovejoy? gimme a break, wasn't he an adult film star?

It grows to much larger size, thick and fleshy, with a large mouth, and is to some extent cannibalistic, but not enough so to make it objectionable.

I think I dated this girl when I was single.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
GW that is from a old AFS article. It is the real deal. I included it because it covered WM on GA farms. \:D

ewest #101201 11/03/07 10:27 PM
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
I found it interesting that the author of that article states that he has seen 5 lb WM. I think the record is around 2 1/2 lbs. With such a large mouth it does seem reasonable that they could get as large as BG though. Anyway, I'll be happy if I can get them up to 2 lbs.

GW #101223 11/04/07 12:40 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: GW
I found it interesting that the author of that article states that he has seen 5 lb WM. I think the record is around 2 1/2 lbs. With such a large mouth it does seem reasonable that they could get as large as BG though. Anyway, I'll be happy if I can get them up to 2 lbs.

That is especially true if they fight like GSF (which I imagine they would). My GSF fight like crazy when hooked and in my personal and probably very slightly prejudicial opinion, pound for pound a GSF fights much more than a LMB. DIED's GSF must be insane to catch. A two pound Warmouth or GSF would be quite a fish on light tackle.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Jeff if you go back into the old threads I did offer once to contribute to the GSA.

However it takes a awful lot of understanding to contribute to an organization that wants to vaporize you.

Anyway since, as a previous post stated, Theo thinks that I was mistaken and the nipple bitters were BG (which I just stocked adult LMB to thin out) I apologize to the GSA. I have no plans to do any harm to your glorious fishies or say anything else negative about them. However, since after reading about them, and I do think my BG do have some GSF strain in them, with your permission I will continue to have my little slogan, "I wish I had the tenacity of GSF". Acutally that should be considered a compliment to them.

Do as you like, but no GPS for you and I do have a kind of hidden place with lots of trees for cover. Even aerial photos don't pick up my house much. East Texas is for hidding and with my family that is a generational thing. I am poor here compared to what I made in Dallas, but I don't like neighbors or people looking at me, especially people with death rays!

Also Jeff, really if you really want to accumulate 578,000 cans of diet coke you need to stay away from Vegas. ;\)

Best Wishes to you and your family,

Bill

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bill Webb
However it takes a awful lot of understanding to contribute to an organization that wants to vaporize you.

Point well taken.

Anyway since, as a previous post stated, Theo thinks that I was mistaken and the nipple bitters were BG (which I just stocked adult LMB to thin out) I apologize to the GSA. I have no plans to do any harm to your glorious fishies or say anything else negative about them. However, since after reading about them, and I do think my BG do have some GSF strain in them, with your permission I will continue to have my little slogan, "I wish I had the tenacity of GSF". Acutally that should be considered a compliment to them.

I think that this is the second or third time on Pond Boss that I have read about nipple biting BG. BG seem to have more deviant behavior characteristics than a GSF. Anyhoo, apology accepted and you are off the GSA's target list.

Do as you like, but no GPS for you and I do have a kind of hidden place with lots of trees for cover.

I still think that you and Yolk are not being very sporting about this but since I don't hold any official (or unofficial for that matter) office on this forum I am powerless to compel you to produce this information. I have forwarded a petition to the moderators of this forum that is a request that the forum membership agreement be modified to include language that would require offenders of GSF to post their GPS coordinates. Given that the petition had a large number of signatures (ok only mine, but I'm pretty sure DIED would sign it and probably even GW) I sincerely hope that the Moderators/Forum Creators/Exhaulted Rulers of this forum will concede to my demands.

I eagerly await their response.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 11/05/07 11:33 AM. Reason: because I clicked on the submit button prematurely. Sometimes my mouth and fingers work before my brain kicks in. I have a problem that way.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
Millions for human anatomical defense, no one cent for tribute.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Oh no you don't. Lusk sucked me into this Mod deal when there were problems. For the most part, that has ended. And here you go. Trying to put my butt back to work. I'm enjoying my semi retirement and I ain't agonna do it. I'm enjoying being a tourist without a camera.

Gotta admit, the GSF haters have made THE LIST.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Theo, I did offer tribute (donation to the GSA). Just dont want to part with my nipples. \:o

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Jeff thank you for your forgiveness. I promise no more bad words from me about GSF. Cross my heart (under my nipples) and hope to die.

Perhaps you can grandfather the clause in with a stern warning for the future. People do deserve a warning.

Apprectively,

Bill \:\)

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Originally posted by Bill Webb:

Quote:

Will pike grow in ponds way up there?

My fish guy says Muskies will do fairly well, and there are naturally occuring muskies even a little south of Nashville in the Duck River. I don't know about Northerns-he says they'll also do well, and brought down 7 for me, which are [hopefully] feasting on greenies as I write.

Neither will reproduce, and he says they get pretty lethargic in the summertime heat.

Northerns like water in and around 20 Celcius, Musky, tolerate warmer water and prefer it around 24 Celcius so your fish guy is correct.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem