Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,080
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (Snipe, H20fwler), 534 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96884 09/11/07 07:18 PM
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
I propose that we add yet another category but I'm not sure where it should go.

This category would be a history of our individual ponds. There are two parts to this. The first part is the fun part of showing pictures of our lakes, friends and family fishing etc. The second part is a history of our lakes. This would be the info about how the lake was when we got it or built it. If it was a lake we bought, it would be the size, history, condition and what we have been doing with it. If we built it, again, it would be the story of building it, what we stocked and when and how things are progressing. Essentially, this would be a case history of our lakes.

I got the idea from the mini PB meeting at Lincoln. NEDOC is renovating a large lake by seining "trash fish". Did you know that CC are trash fish? Anyhow, what a wonderful case history of renovating a lake by seining. Shorty is working at controling the submergent vegetation in his lake. Again, this is a wonderful and valuable case history.

As we get a number of case histories, when someone has questions about starting a new lake, they can look at the experiences of other people with lakes in their region. I would think this would be extremely valuable.

Norm Kopecky
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i'm all for it, i like yer idea norm. i would like to know how many northern CA pondmeisters wrastled w/ sealing a leaky bedrock pond for example, what their ideas were, how they implemented them, and whether or not it worked?

i think such a topic would deserve its own category (i.e. POND CASE STUDIES) cause it wouldnt really fit under the current org chart.

GSF are people too!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I always thought that it would be interesting to have a "Pond of the Month" article in the magazine. It would have the same things that Norm is talking about like stories and management practices.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I've been building up the courage to submit my stocking history after I found Pond Boss. This sounds like a good place to put it up.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
I always thought that it would be interesting to have a "Pond of the Month" article in the magazine. It would have the same things that Norm is talking about like stories and management practices.

"Featured PB Mag Reader" articles appear almost every month and are quite often just what Chris describes, IMHO.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Sunil #96902 09/11/07 08:59 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
We need to think about how this would work. For example one of our ponds was built in 1946. A case history would be long. I have 50 pages of notes on that one pond over 12 years. I like the idea of a short time line or couple paragraph history and pics. To make it work we would need to limit back and forth discussion and a ponds entry would need to be entirely in one post. If not it would become to disjointed and confusing.

Lets get others comments on the best way to proceed.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Norm, I've been thinking on the same lines too.
Ideas for the webmaster.
Have a link in My Stuff (profile)so a reader can quickly see the goods by clicking on the Poster's name. (or the homepage could be used it's just not real convenient or evident)
It would be nice too if there was a way to categorize our ponds in several areas so fellow Pond Meisters can find features that are of interest.
Size, Depth, Spring Fed/runoff, aeration, features (waterfall's/fountains/streams)
Fish species,
So I could search for ponds in Wisconsin, spring fed, with SMB and YP. Or I could search for those who have built a waterfall.

This might be controversial, but I'll say it anyway, must have an active subscription to the world's greatest magazine. That might reduce the incidence of hit and run.

For what it's worth...

I used to think I was crazy and all alone...
Now I know I am not alone!
Theo Gallus #96905 09/11/07 09:06 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
the idea is good and I agree with Theo. This type of story belongs in Pond Boss Magazine. The PBoss articles get indexed so everyone would be able to search for the info based on pondowner, location, story title, types of fish, waterfalls, spring fed or other special features such as boat house or special dock. Check out the details that I put in my indexes of the magazine. Provide some good details in an article and subjects will get indexed.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92475#Post92475

To get your pond story/history printed, all that has to be done is get your photos together, write an essay about your pond and what you want to present. Then submit it to the Pond Boss editor. I doubt that Bob will turn down any article. Bob is always searching for pond stories. Once your story is published you could keep records, photos, and notes of your management projects and then later submit another update to the Magazine. That would also be an interesting story. Maybe tell readers how you changed management techniques and describe how the fishery or the pond changed in response to your new methods.

Once the article has been published then details or questions about the story can be discussed here on the PBoss Forum.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/11/07 09:21 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Bill Cody #96909 09/11/07 09:26 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I love the idea of being able to search for ponds in 'my' area. Might help me get in contact with some locals. I haven't seen any other Arky's here.
Maybe it would help if we could have a check list to help us describe our ponds. Pond size: less than 1/2 ac, less than 2 ac etc. Same with water source, primary fish population, primary purpose, etc. And....what would be really cool, have a list of check boxes, for additional features, waterfall, seating/BBQ area, landscaping, islands, bridges, gazebos...oooh I could go on and on. I'm not very good with the 'search' box, so I might be able to do that and I'm just 'not able to do that' ha ha
Have you ever considered giving 'special forum privileges' only for Pond Boss Magazine subscribers? Don't know how the forum is funded, but maybe having those privileges would encourage ordering the magazine...
Running off at the mouth again....sorry!

Last edited by the pond girl; 09/11/07 09:29 PM. Reason: took so long running off at the mouth, I see Mr. Cody stole some of my ideas already :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
New pond stocking
by Snipe - 05/01/24 01:32 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 05/01/24 12:17 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday