Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,310
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,578
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
11 members (Brian from Texas, Zep, esshup, Cliff76169, rjackson, Don Kennedy, tlogan, Dave Davidson1, Bigtrh24, canyoncreek, Sunil), 921 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96740 09/10/07 10:39 AM
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I just caught my first Cat since stocking last year, and though I was given about 200, 6" long "Channel Cats" out of a local pond, and at about 10" long now, it sure doesn't look like a Channel, but more like a Mud. (Sorry, but I still don't know how to post a pic in here...) There is definately no "V" tail, but other than that, all the pictures I can find on the web show a mud and a channel looking about the same, other than the V'd tail. (The tail was actually "notched" in a couple of places, not smooth or symetrical up and down.) I'm fearful that I just ruined a great LMB abd BG fishery with this possible blunder. I'll catch a few more tonight and get some definate pics, and maybe someone will e-mail me with how to post a pic in here, plz???
widget.1@netzero.com

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
D-C:

If you haven't read it, see the Archive thread on posting photos.

The "V" tail is the best way to separate CC (and Blues) from lesser Cats that I know of; if you post a photo you should get a positive ID.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Here are D-C's Catfish photos. I agree with his thought that it's a Bullhead, probably Yellow. Oregon professes to have the Black, Brown, and Yellow varieties of that batch of Ictalurids, and Yellow BH are supposed to have the roundest (vs. "square" or slightly notched) tail.

Catfish morphology experts, have at it.

For comparison purposes, here are reference drawings of Bullheads,
Yellow (courtesy of Ohio DNR):

Brown (courtesy of Oregon DNR):

and Black (courtesy of Oregon DNR):

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Good job Theo. The fish is definately a bullhead. Accurate identification depends on an anal fin ray count, chin barbel color and size of rear teeth on the spine of the pectorial fin. It could well be a yellow bullhead, but I have seen enough of them that I would not bet any money on which species of bullhead that one is unless I had it in my hands.

Theo, just curious, tell us why you think that Double-Camp's bullheads are yellow compared to black bullheads? I see no difference in the photos that you provided other than a slight notch in the rear margin of the caudal fin. In top photo the fin looks notched and in he 2nd photo it looks rounded.

Note that in the photos the chin whiskers of yellow are light colored whereas the chin whiskers of the black are dark. Look at the chin whiskers of D.Camp's bullhead (1st photo). Note I do not put much stock in color of fishes for a sole ID feature-the feature is too variable for consistent accuracy.

Irregardless of which species of bullhead it is, Double Camp does have bullheads and in my opinion, some questionable "friends". Double Camp, you have one consolation, in my opinion bullheads are beter tasting than CC. Try them they are very good. Smaller than CC, but very good tasting, especially if they have been eating fish food pellets and even from mucky-muddy water.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/14/07 08:32 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Theo, just curious, tell us why you think that Double-Camp's bullheads are yellow compared to black bullheads?

Tail roundness - just a hunch to send me in one of three directions.

A man's got to make a stand, Bill. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong (today), plus a 33 1/3% chance of being right isn't the worst bet I'll make this year.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Hey Guys,
I caught a couple more, and after extensive research and comparrisons with pictures on the Web, I figured they were Yellow Bullheads. (They don't look like a brown at all when I compare what I am catching to the pics on the web. As to the friend that I got them from, he simply didn't know and was going on what he was probably told in the first place, years ago. (Thanks to me, he is now a PB subscriber and learning from ya'll in here now too...)
The reason I believe they are Yellows is, well, because they are actually yellow in color with red-ish tint on the end of some of the fins. This part of Oregon has a lot of Yellow Bullhead, and I have found too that they are very good to eat, so all is not lost. They are NOT easy to catch right now, and from the fat belly and healthy appearence, they must be eating well.
From the size we stocked to what I have caught tells me that I should have some very healthy Cats in there by next year. Meanwhile, we have to leave again tomorrow for the road, and so this year's pond fun is over for me.... However, I still have PB online everywhere we go!
Thanks again Theo for helping me post the pics. I do appreciate it.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
PS- the other tell-tale that convinced me was the light color of the whiskers. The Browns have almost black whiskers and the Yellows have a blond color, of which my cats have the lighter color. That's what I am seeing anyway...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Light colored chin whishers is a fairly good indicator, but not a positive they are yellow bullheads. Anal fin ray count verifies the ID.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/07/24 07:22 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 08:51 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:21 AM
Newly Uploaded Images