Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis
18,530 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,013
Posts558,516
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
8 members (FishinRod, Theo Gallus, Angler8689, Sunil, Bill Cody, Theeck, Bigtrh24, Augie), 1,207 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94537 08/03/07 09:29 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I didn't want to hijack a thread, so I started this one.

My neighbors are wonderful people.

I feel extremely fortunate. I've almost always had great neighbors.

I was 17 when I bought my first property. I bought 10 acres of a 20 acre mouse farm -- generally about 250,000 white mice, and untold snakes just drooling for an opportunity. It fronted on a lake in Northern Wisconsin, and my 10 acres was mostly wooded. As soon as I started clearing, I was immediately confronted by an elderly and grumpy neighbor on the northeastern boundary of the property. He told me my new driveway was on his property. A good friend worked for a surveyor, who surveyed and marked my property, and then surveyed and marked my grumpy neighbor's property. I caught a mess of bluegill which I skinned and filleted, and I picked a basket of wild blueberries. I brought them to the neighbor and his wife, along with a copy of the new plat. He turned out to be one of the best neighbors I ever had.

Fast forward 43 years, to today. We've lived here three years, but were weekend residents for about four years before that, at a property several miles away. Ever since we came to this county, we've come home to packages on our doorstep. Sometimes it might be a basket of fresh strawberries wrapped in newspaper and plastic so the critters don't get it, or it might be a bag of fresh asparagus. In the fall, it might be a cooler of venison.

This past Christmas Eve, we missed the church service because my wife's elderly aunt, from about 150 miles away, was with us. Her husband died the week before. About 9:30 PM, there was a knock on our front door. The neighbors, through our church, prepared a gift basket for my wife's aunt.

I'm almost afraid to mention I'm thinking about a project, because somebody will be over with every possible tool, or every possible piece of heavy equipment, to help before I'm ready.

We have other local mountain property. If the grass gets high before I get it mowed, the neighbors on either side mow it for me. I don't think it is just to make me feel guilty.

A few years back at the property mentioned above, and before we were full-time county residents, there were problems with break-ins in the area. In the winter, my neighbors would either plow my driveway, or if it was just a light snow, they'd drive through my driveway every time they passed, so it would look like someone was home. During a bad winter storm that killed the electric service, a neighbor with a key to our weekend home went in a couple of times a day and kept the woodstove burning so our pipes wouldn't freeze.

My wife and I, and now our grown children, extensively volunteer in our respective local communities until we seem to be at our extremes of exhaustion. But, our volunteer efforts comes back 10 fold, and there has never been a time in my life that neighbors have not been there for us.

Neighbors are wonderful. I could go on and on, with over nearly 60 years of great experiences.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
The nieghbors I've met so far near our 123 acres of paradise in northern Missouri are pretty awesome.
One couple that lives a few miles away drives by our place every day. One morning they noticed a storage shed door open, they called to let me know[I live in AZ.]. Sure nuff, someone broke in and stole a bunch of stuff, they and another nieghbor fixed the storage latch, chained and padlocked my gate,[I know, lock the gate after the horses got out] and checked my other sheds.
Another nieghbor drives his 4-wheeler by frequently to check things out. I have a cable gate I leave down when I'm there and he puts it back up thinking it must of fell down \:\)
Another nieghbor puts in food plots for me and stops to chat often. Another one brings us fresh eggs every now and then. [well--I think there fresh? fresh eggs smell like sulfur-- right?]
When we're by the road people people actually honk--without waving there middle finger--took some gettin used too.
Contrast these people to my nieghbor here in AZ. who communicates to her nieghbors through the sherrifs dept. and her attorney. ANYONE WANT TO BUY A HOUSE?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
OK, the votes are in...

Cat has the best neighbor, MARKALLEN next, then son Jeff...

Ewest has the worse neighbor, DD1 next, then gator...

Leaving a whole bunch of silent majority folks in the middle...

Kinda sounds like the general population to me.. \:\)

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Your right George. We do have some very good neighbors also. This country is full of great neighbors and a few bad apples. I do think that it would be very hard to beat the neighbors that Cody Smith has. See below. \:\)

csmith
Lunker
Member # 664

Rate Member posted July 02, 2007 09:53 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RobA, For the last 20 years I have let my loyal neighbor cut hay on apprx:85 acres of pasture. He supplies oats/wheat, all equipment and I pay for the fertilizer. We have never charged him a red cent. I have not filled a fish feeder, they just seem to be full at all times, my kids get to eat with a 75 year old rancher for free and also get to listen to all kinds of good advice from an honest man for free,as well as some good stories. What goes around comes around. Just my two cents. Cody

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Our neighbors are pretty good. When we got our dozer stuck one of them let us borrow his backhoe to help pull it out. I don't know what we would have done without it. There was nothing to attach a winch to.

One of our friends just down the road lets us keep all of our equipment at his house. Right now we dont have a building to lock up everything up in.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by Pat Williamson - 05/16/24 07:53 AM
Optimal vs. Purina
by gehajake - 05/16/24 07:26 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/15/24 09:13 PM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Ortantyun - 05/15/24 11:22 AM
Building a sprayer for 10 acre farm pond