Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,319
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
5 members (BarkyDoos, canyoncreek, Augie, Theo Gallus, FishinRod), 1,021 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Had this little bar north of where I grew up that had a "Goose & Coon" BBQ at the end of goose/duck season. The cook also pressure-cooked a bunch of carp and made a tasty little dish(like a weird scampi)out of it.

Trying to remember if the food was really that good or if it was just the many drafts of cold beer that preceded the eatin'.......... \:D

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am going to bet....beer.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Truth be known ....... it was the beer. \:D

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Why does everybody gots to blame poor 'ole beer?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Roadtrip,

Are you interested in going on a road trip? I'm making plans to view some ponds with common carp and you would be most welcome to join in.

Here's what I've picked up thus far from some great Texas pond folks who share our interest in a common carp pond.

First, the suggestion was made to create flats areas in the pond about 18 inches deep and stair-stepped down to the next flat another 18 inches deeper and probably another one still. Very near these flats areas construct a deep narrow trench. The carp will stay in the deep trench and move onto the flats to feed....just like the bonefish do in saltwater. The stair stepping is to protect against drought and having no flat as a result and the trench is to provide the carp what they prefer naturally.

Second, it is important for the flats to have patchy vegetation...to assist in fishing for them....and this probably means that the white amur will be needed to help along those lines. Hydrilla was suggested as ideal vegetation, but that carries with it a heavy burden of control.

Third, the flats should be silty instead of gravel or straight clay. This is both what they like and the best choice for sight fishing because a gravel surface will give your presence away quickly.

Fourth, do not stock any BG or sunfish in the pond. They compete for the same food sources as the common carp. I'm thinking a LMB heavy pond with the carp, without any BG, and of course with Tilapia just might be the trick to keeping carp numbers in check and an overall balanced relatively clear pond.

Fifth, ther are many ponds in the DFW area with excellent carp fishing that remain relatively clear year-around. Interestingly, I'm told those ponds also have very good LMB fishing...but I've got to see it to believe it.

That's what I've found so far from fellow Texans who have interests in carp and a pond stocked with them....lots more research to do and a road trip to take and a trip with the top carp guide in Texas very soon. Please recognize that the 5 points above are based on "hearsay" and not from my own personal experience.....but it comes from perhaps some of the most knowledgable carp people in our State.

The prior post that suggested looking at Europe is a great idea, I believe. Also, Greg's post was most informative and I'd really be interested in hearing his thoughts or anyone's about the no sunfish approach to a LMB/carp pond.

Roadtrip, please let me know if this stuff is of interest to you...or if you are only interested in white amur...if there's no interest in this research, then I won't post it here. Thanks.

R
OP Offline
R
Meadowlark, sounds good to me. I'm interested in stocking both types of carp. I have 2 ponds that would work. One already has carp, common for sure, maybe some amur. I've seen 'em spawning. The other pond has no carp, but would be a good candidate for the amur. The water is clear, the bottom silty, lots of milfoil, and lots of shallow flats, lots of lmb. Also lots of sunfish, including some very big bluegill and redear. I'll pm you my contact info and we'll work on getting together on this.
My next step will be a survey on the pond with the carp to get an accurate idea of carp population and health. I've seen a few this year in the 6-8 lb. range, in past years I've seen some in the 15-20 lb. range.
I really appreciate everybody's responses to this post.

roadtrip
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/07/24 12:10 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FireIsHot - 05/07/24 10:09 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday